Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #1

Intermittent Ignition Switch Problem?

The M/H is parked in a garage, batteries connected to a maintenance charger, I am doing slide out adjustments. The slide runs out fine on the ON position ignition switch. When I turn the ignition on again, both the Actia and Silver leaf are dead. I have never had had any problems before or worked on the electrical recently. I reset the Battery disconnects many times, no difference and batteries fully charged on the charger 12.8 volts. All my grounds and connections are clean and tight. Just to make sure I plug in to shore tie. Still nothing comes on the dash.

Pulled the connector off ignition to measure voltage. There is power at the switch. The black negative wire connects to battery power in. So it is wired as a ground seeking switch. I did check continuity to ground ok. Don't have a clue where the ground connects to. There are three white wires with power. The accessories has 11.15 volts, Starter has 11.47volts, the ignition has 9.59 volts. I checked these with a second volt meter and got the same readings. There is both ignition powers and accessory power coming out of Vansco to apparently to switch. Thinking there could be a problem with rear Vansco, I do have spare Vansco I swapped out. All three voltage readings are within few hundreds of the first reading on the spare Vansco.

I was going to replace the Pollack Switch anyway. Pollack #31-322, see picture of switch and key in attachment. I did pry open the switch ,but before I did I checked continuity with key on wiggling the key. I got a little variation on the ohmmeter. I checked the new switch doing the same and stayed on 0. When I pried apart (see picture) the screw driver cracked the black plastic. The springs looked ok and there is some wear on the copper.
Could not really see a problem.

Put new switch in and started it several times no problem. The current goes Vansco to start solenoid ok.

With intermittent electrical problems, I am hoping it is just the switch.
Does anyone know if ignition power goes from the Vansco directly to the ignition switch? Has anyone measured voltage at the ignition switch? I know there could be some voltage loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1837.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	85590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	85591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1840.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	85592  

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

Check to see if transmission is in neutral
I have had similar problem and it turned out transmission not in neutral because valve in transmission is stuck.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Kraig:
I have an 06 Apex. My ignition switch is worn out I believe as it is very sensitive when I touch the key. It works but I have the SilverLeaf system also and it seems to be reluctant to operate properly when moving the slides, I suspect it is related to worn switch . I have never had a total failure of the ignition system but it makes me worry so am going to replace the switch this week. If the replacement switch solves the problems I will let you know. I think the switch is worn out because it has to be turned to accessory position in order to use any of the dash appliances (fans, radio, step cover, door awning, etc).

Jim
360-333-9594
Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, I assume you have checked to be sure the wires are tight on the back of the switch, the symptoms sound like it could be the wires?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Dave:

My switch, even in the off position can light up the dash and SilverLite system just by slightly turning the key. I removed it and checked all the connections and wires in the connector and pretty much eliminated a loose wire issue. Bad grounds are usually the problems with DC systems but mine seem to be good. The switch is pretty cheap to replace so its an easy first step. The problem I have is identifying which Pollak switch is the "correct" one. The 31-322 or 31-324 appear to be correct replacements but I can't find any specs for the original switch. I think my system requires a least a three amp capacity but there doesn't seem to be any info sheets to verify. I am contacting Pollak tomorrow to talk to the tech desk. My relay doesn't give any current draw info either so if all else fails I'm going to go bigger for the switch.
I usually rely on the NAPA guys for cross ref info but my store lost their guy with the electrical background .

More later

Jim
Old 04-26-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If in the off position it turns on, you are right, the switch is shot, safe to go with the larger if all else is the same.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Was there a ground wire connected to the ground terminal on your pollak ignition switch? Mine does not have a ground wire attached to the ground terminal on the switch.
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #8

The black ground wire connects to the positive terminal on the switch. When you turn to start, it seeks the ground to start. There is no wire connected to the negative terminal.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

This from 2005 Vansco Wire Loom schematic on Limited coach:
Ignition switch receives a 6-pin connector off wire loom, only 4 pins on connector are populated:
Pin1: blk #18 label on wire: 2435 or 2435H (on avalanches this is labelled '21435'); leg 'H' of this numbered wire enters an in-loom splice along with other legs. This circuit wire is a ground that spiders to several devices (center console stuff, blower motor, radio, park brake switch); all black wires w/numbering ending in 435 are grounds, frequently to multiple devices. I have not found where this achieves actual connection to chassis ground, tho if I had a problem reading ground on this or other ground xx435 circuits, I would feel comfortable making that connection on my rig, YMMV.
Pin2: white #18 labelled IGN_A; this wire also heads to a splice (spiders) to 4 other locations including pin1 of a 35pin front VMM plug
Pin4 (center pin): white #18 labelled '1535'; the other end of this wire is pin5 of the 23pin front VMM plug. This is the Starter signal wire which activates Start-signal-out on wire# '1555' from the rear VMM, which goes to the remote start solenoid.
Pin3: white #18 labelled 'ACC_A'; this also heads to a 4-way splice (3 other legs) one of which goes to pin3 of the same 35pin front VMM plug

VMM input circuits are generally ground-seeking, i.e. making ground connection is a signal to the computer in the VMM to activate some other function(s). These ground seeking signals are not robust and cannot tolerate heavy loads, so don't short them out to large available current (large like in a half amp will burn out the input in the VMM).

Note there is a difference on Apex rigs: front VMM is located on fwd side of firewall, whereas on Limited rigs and SE's front VMM is on inside of firewall. So the above circuits to hit the Apex front VMM have to exit thru firewall, probably in the large round aircraft type connectors.