Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Intermittent Travel Light Problem

My travel light on the center console comes on and off intermittently. My 2000 Alpine does not have hydraulic jacks so most of the current posts regarding an intermittent travel light do not seem to apply to my situation. I have checked my air pressure and it is nominally 120 psi so I don't think that is the problem. Does anyone have a schematic showing the wiring for this light? Where is the sensor that turns the light on and off?
shelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It would help if you posted the model and Year for the coach. See my Signature on the end for an example. Could it be a slide "travel light", since you don't have Hydraulic Jacks, do you have electric jacks?, how do you level the coach?
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

My apologies about my signature. I have been a member of IRV2 for years and did not realize that my signature had been changed.

My coach does not have hydraulic or electric jacks. It is leveled by changing the height of the air bags similar to Country Coach, Prevost, etc. I do have a hydraulic room slide and generator slide. Is there a sensor on these slides that effects the travel light? I get an alarm when the generator slide is not fully retracted but I have never heard an alarm for the room slide.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

One more thought on the travel light. I have always thought that the light was associated with ride height. If the coach has been sitting it takes a while (2-3 minutes) after starting the engine for the light to come on in normal circumstances. It currently does not come on until I drive for a while and then intermittently. I have looked for a sensor but have not found any. These thoughts on ride height could be completely erroneous as I have nothing to base it on except coincidence.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Well, it either a room or the gen slide. Suggest next time you get it, you retract the gen slide and see if it goes away, if not do one room, and see if it goes away, if not the first one then the second one, and see if it goes away.

If one of the retract process causes the light to go away, you have identified the culprit room. Now it's a matter of changing the retract solenoid. You can get the rebuilt one from HWH, couple hundred dollars, depending on access ot the HWH manifold, it's should not be a big deal to get the old one out and the new one in.
WRV should have taged them, you need to verify that the labeling is correct before you assume that you have the correct one. Or if it's not serious, you can live with it for a while if now is not a good time to fix it.

WOW - Air leveling, wish WRV had stayed with that, what a concept.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Did not the 2000 Alpines have the hydraulic engine bay door as well?
Mine would occasionally trigger the warning.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

My 2000 does not have a hydraulic engine compartment lift and I only have one room slide.

As far as air leveling it is great but I do not have the travel that jacks do so I need a pretty level spot to park on. Also, on my last coach I got stuck in some mud and the jacks saved me. It took a couple hours to go 20 feet but I did get out.

Regarding the room slide solenoids, according to HWH I have a leaking retract solenoid. The room will very slowly retract when it is fully extended, about an inch a day. I got a new solenoid from them but have not tackled the job as the access to the hydraulics is extremely tight. I believe I will have to dismantle the whole pump manifold to get in there. If it is the retract solenoid where is the sensor? I'm trying to remember if there are any sensors on the manifold.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Steve- there are a couple of pressure sensors on the manifold, a 50psi low pressure sensor, & a 3000psi high, they both look like brass hexagonal bar stock w/a one wire lead to the free end. Neither has anything to do w/the slide position, and i'm not aware of any limit type switches for limit of travel (slides stop when they hit something). So I'm guessing the issue is air based on your description of 2-3 minutes idling to turn the light off.

HWH tech support should be able to direct you easily to the source of the light's on/off feature, tho it seems to take a coupla days after you leave a message to get a call back. Post what you find.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Steve (& Mike) - I looked at the HWH 610 System manual (which may not be the exact same system for 2000) and there's no alarm pressure switch associated with the integrated air system. It only dumps air out when pushing the "Dump" button.

I would try some "easy" things to see how "lucky" you are. I'd pull the touch panel up on the center console and make sure all connections are tight. I'd also pull the cover off in front of the PS seat to check relays & fuses to make sure they're tight. You need to open all the black boxes to expose relays & fuses. I got really lucky once and found a relay trying to literally fall out ... the box was actually keeping it from coming completely loose.

Just some thoughts ...
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #10

Bob- all good thoughts. Reason I'm thinking its air is that Steve's coach doesn't have hydraulic ram type levelers, and on our rigs that do- the Travel light goes out when all 4 hydraulic rams seat in the full upright & locked position. On Steve's the logical Travel indicator would be an air bag (or air pressure) sensor some place; there has to be a level indicator sensor (maybe a mercury switch type, the later models have 'mem' chip sensor) for the air leveling and I'm guessing its that or the report circuit on HWH motherboard related to that.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelland View Post
...according to HWH I have a leaking retract solenoid. The room will very slowly retract when it is fully extended, about an inch a day....
shelland:

That would be indicative of an extension solenoid not holding the pressure that maintains outward pressure, a leaking extension solenoid.

A leaking retract solenoid would allow the slide to creep out when in the closed position.

I've had both..........
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #12

Steve,

Going back to your original question about does anyone have the 12 volt drawings. I have a complete set 12 volt drawings for 2000 WRV. They were supposed to be sent EM to post in the library. What it shows for the travel light I don't know.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow but I may have time today to do some investigation. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Regarding the 12v schematics, I have the 12v house wiring schematics but not the automotive ones. Do you think the library has the automotive ones?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #14

The Library does not have the chassis schematics, but I do. They are 18"x24" on 4 sheets, and shrunk from the original so they don't scan well. There are a few circuits that are blotched enough it takes some meditation & tracing to figure out what they are, but mostly it is readable. As a schematic it shows what connects to what, but does not show wire routing or component placement. However most of the business-end parts are drawn to look like what they are (e.g. alternator) so its easy enough to follow along. I need to get some more copies run. W/copy cost & postage its $12 for the set. You can PM me your email & mailing address, and paypal the cost or send a check. Also I take sets to rallies if you want to save the $2 mailer cost and put it toward retiring part of the national debt.

I haven't traced it out, but HWH does appear on a few circuits. In the mean time, Bob's suggestion- the connections on the HWH leveling panel are a known irritation for pulling loose on jacks-equipped rigs, might be happening on yours when the console drawer moves in/out.

Tags
travel