Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Inverter

Problems with RS2000 inverter. Shutting down because of overheating. Appears fans are not operating. If replacing fans does not solve the issue I would appreciate comments on the xantrex sw2012 as a replacement. Threads seem to have little negative comments on the sw2012

Alpine
2007 quad slide SE
40'
No silverleaf
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced the rs2000 with the sw2012 three years ago. The only drawback was we also had to replace the System Control Panel (added cost), the Onan panel does not play nicely with the sw2012. The only thing that is "odd" is that you have to start the generator from the SCP, the switch on the console, while it starts the generator, the SCP shuts it down after a few seconds. If you start the generator from SCP it runs just fine.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

Understand the 2812 is compatible with older Xantrex control panels [and SilverLeaf too] but its a lot more capacity [and more $$$$$] than most Alpiners need. Might also look at Magnum products. Challenge with non-compatible control panels is modifying the existing comm cable ends or replacing the cable it total--which can be an issue too, depending on cable routing.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #4

Scout- 3M makes connectors for comm size wire, so splicing the comm cable to the battery temp sensor is pretty straight forward. I ordered a pack to carry, I'm sure I'll be into that at some point.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #5

Interesting--I've heard comm geeks talking about swapping out ends on comm cables to make new equip compatible. As long as you have the requisite number of individual wires in the cable, the ends can be reconfigured to meet the new equipment. When I swapped out the old Freedom Combi for the RS2000, the bat temp sensor was easy enough to re-route but the control panel cable was a bear!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

We just order this unit today. Ours bit the dust yesterday. We are currently wired around it but need a battery charger on it to keep up even though were plugged into shore.

"The only thing that is "odd" is that you have to start the generator from the SCP, the switch on the console, while it starts the generator, the SCP shuts it down after a few seconds. If you start the generator from SCP it runs just fine."

What do you mean by the SCP???
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
System Control Panel.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

Mr. Quiltlady,

How you doing with the fans?

GP
Old 02-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Replaced my RS2000 last year with the SW3012 Pure SineWave at a Xantrex authorized dealer in Gilbert (Phoenix) AZ. Cost was just under $3k, luckily I had an extended warranty. I was told one (or more) of the fans quit working. It wouldn't pass any voltage through, it didn't matter if I was hooked up to shore power or generator… nothing worked. I noticed it was really dusty inside when I took it apart.
The SW3012 bolted to the bulkhead in the same location as the 2000. All the same wires and comm cables connected right up. A new System Control Panel (SCP) also replaced the old one using the same wires. If I didn't have the extended warranty, I would have bought the unit and done the work myself to save the labor costs… super easy to replace.
The unit works great with my all electric coach, i.e., residential fridge, aqua-hot, etc., and is super quiet, we don't hear it at all like we did the old 2000.
PS - I didn't get the AGS module… would have been extra cost. I don't use it anyway.
Hope this info helps you out. Good Luck
2005 Alpine 38FDTS, #75373
www.UrbanEscapeVehicle.com
Hobdendw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Inverter

Thanks for all the input. Replaced both fans ($28.00) and inverter seems to be working. Inverter has a greater noise level. Suspect the windings will be the next issue and will result in purchasing a new inverter.Rod Sprague - Husband of Quiltlady
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter