Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

Inverter/charger problems

Has anyone replaced their inverter/chargers with a magnum inverter/charger? I have beed told it is an easy change. Same mounts and hookups. If you have how do you like it?
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

No, but I can answer that question in a couple of weeks! I just bought a Magnum MS2012, and will install it after I get back from an upcoming trip. I have talked to a couple of friends who have done it as well, and they say it is not that difficult. It looks like the trickiest part for me will be routing the Battery Temp Sensor from the inside of the coach to the battery area.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may or may not be the same mounts,

The hookups however are fairly standard.. If it is an "inline" inverter you ahe

AC in, AC out (may be more than one, see note) and DC in/out (One pair of bolts).

Note: SOME inverters have breakers built in, if you are replacing such an inverter with one that does NOT, you will need to add a sub panel with breakers.. The reverse.. Is easier,, Since the sub panel already exists.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

I am replacing a xantrax rs2000
Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #5

Inverter

Just replaced my xrantrex combi with the magnum ms2000. Pretty easy uses same 4cond data from inverter to remote. Magnum is 12" wide and xrantrex was
10 1/2. Spacer boards are only held down with 2 screws, easy to move out. They used expanding foam where temp sensor went thru floor to batteries. Used a screwdriver to open a small hole along side old sensor and taped new one to it and pulled phone connector up from underside. Took about 15 min
The only change for you will be the data cable for the rs2000 is a cat5. If your coach had a combi or 458 the 4 cond data cable may still be there. If you have acess to the modular plug tools you can cut the cable and replace the ends. I think the magnum is going to work out nice. Unlike the xrantrex the fans only run when needed
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

ARW,

I just replaced my Xantrex RX3000 with a Magnum 2800. The communication cable to the remote display is not the same for the Magnum. The Xantrex connectors were cut off and the Magnum connectors were wire matched eliminating the need to run another cable. The Magnum lasted about two weeks before I had a major problem with the invert mode. The coach is in the shop now to have the inverter diagnosed.

sdcyclist
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

I replaced mine 4 years ago with a Magnum 2812 which is bigger than the than the 2000 watt that was in there. WRV installed big enough battery wires and as remember, I put in a little bigger fuse. Mine fit in the same bracket as the Xantrex, just had to redrill new holes for mount it. With an Apex there is no extra room to run the battery temp wire easily from the driver side to the battery box, so I just hooked to the house battery wire on the inverter. I installed the remote control in the bathroom cabinet. After I installed it, I called Magnum tech support and they walked me through set up. I have had it in 4 years now and never had a problem with it and I am happy with it. At that time Silverleaf was not compatible with that Magnum inverter, so I just run it just off the Magnum remote and works fine.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #8

Update on the Magnum 2800: The service group found a bad battery connection causing excessive resistance--the Magnum did not like it at all and went into the fault mode. It appears all is well now but one more test is due. The inverter should go to invert mode while the genset is depowered. It should be seamless so while watching a movie and switching power sources will not disrupt the programming. The Xantrex 3000 could do that switch with no problem (that is until it died!).

sdcyclist
Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #9

Thanks to everyone who replied. This site is great.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
All in one units are easier to hookup but are seeming prone to a quick demise. I am a firm believer in separate components. One for charging the battery's and one for running the AC electric in the coach. A little more complicated to wire up but you'll be much happier in the end.
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced our Xantrex with a Magnum 2800 last summer while at FMCA Rally in Auburn Ore. The tech. who did the change out did so in about a hour +/- and I'm very happy with the unit. The Silverleaf did require modifications as the TM102 needs to be programed to interface, which we had Silverleaf do for us. Only took them an hour. I'm guessing that you will have to send TM102 to Silverleaf for the re-programing but, knowing them they will have it back within a week.

Good luck !
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ours was changed when it failed while they had it in the shop from the accident, the temp sensor from the xantrex seems to work with the magnum since they did not change it and it's hooked up to it and it's the xantrex one. I have not had any issues with batteries charging correctly even in the heat, so it's a common part and transferable unit to unit I think.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter