Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Inverter question 2004 Alpine Coach

We had major problems with the chassis batteries not recharging when on shore power. We were told it was the Low Voltage Disconnect model 3104 which we had them replace. All was working fine for two days and then the inverter quit working. On the panel the inverter light blinks.
I shut off all power and switched off the dead switches at the entrance as well as in the battery compartment. I also turned off all breaker switches under the sink. When I switched all back on, no change.

I would like to try the "reset button" on the inverter, but where the heck is the inverter in a 2004 coach? The manual says in the wardrobe on the floor. I removed the drawers. Is it accessible from the exterior? I really need some help. If I need a new inverter, is the Freedom 458 even still available? I appreciate any help. Thanks. Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

OK--what is a "Low Voltage Disconnect Model 3104"? Would also be hepful if you indicated what model/length your 04 was??? 40ft coaches have the inverter in the basement. Shorter coaches, usually in the wall/on floor by bathroom, across from sink....Freedom Combi is nolonger made but several similar types of inverter are available....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

40 footer

Thanks Old Scout -- it's a 40 footer. This is what was replaced.

Sure Power 3104 Battery Separator 300A Interconnect Controller
Old 10-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Inverter question 2004 Alpine Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvietti View Post
We had major problems with the chassis batteries not recharging when on shore power. We were told it was the Low Voltage Disconnect model 3104 which we had them replace. All was working fine for two days and then the inverter quit working. On the panel the inverter light blinks.
I shut off all power and switched off the dead switches at the entrance as well as in the battery compartment. I also turned off all breaker switches under the sink. When I switched all back on, no change.

I would like to try the "reset button" on the inverter, but where the heck is the inverter in a 2004 coach? The manual says in the wardrobe on the floor. I removed the drawers. Is it accessible from the exterior? I really need some help. If I need a new inverter, is the Freedom 458 even still available? I appreciate any help. Thanks. Bill

Bill, you should be able to reset the inverter/charger from the control panel. Go to the advanced screen and you will see the reset option. I recently had a similar problem, no charging or inverting, no inverter light, the reset resolved it (it forces the inverter/charger to reload the firmware). I realize my symptoms are different from yours, but you will be surprised at what a reset will clear up, can hurt right?

You can also Google your symptoms and most likely get a solution.

If you search this forum you will find many threads about the inverter and/or chargers.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #5

Inverter location

I have a 2002 40' Alpine Coach and ironically am having an issue today (which is why I looked here). I found my inverter in the basement compartment just in front of the rear passenger side wheel well. The inverter was behind a fabric/carpet covered panel. I had to remove a few screws to get at it.

Best of luck.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #6

Bill
If by a slim chance you need a inverter. I have a good working freedom 458 that came out of my 2004 alpine. It's a 2000 watt. You can pm me for more info
Old 10-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Advanced screen?

Thanks for your post. Can you explain about the advanced screen?

I found the inverter in the basement behind a carpeted wall. The reset button seemed to do nothing at all. I disconnected and reconnected the tele cable marked tsc. I unhooked the battery cable. I checked the inverter fuse. Still no inverter.

What I have now is a clicking noise in the inverter and flashing lights. On the remote panel the inverter light blinks. Still stumped and wonder if it's toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Bill, you should be able to reset the inverter/charger from the control panel. Go to the advanced screen and you will see the reset option. I recently had a similar problem, no charging or inverting, no inverter light, the reset resolved it (it forces the inverter/charger to reload the firmware). I realize my symptoms are different from yours, but you will be surprised at what a reset will clear up, can hurt right?

You can also Google your symptoms and most likely get a solution.

If you search this forum you will find many threads about the inverter and/or chargers.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #8

I had this issue one time. All I did was push one of the items on the control panel. I'm not near the mh so not sure which one.
Turn on inverter even though your plugged into shore power?
I know. Not vary clear but it then charged my house battery's.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:27 AM   #9

2004 models were kind of a watershed year for Alpines--most noteably was the transition to Vansco power/communication modules which re-defined the way 12v electrical issues were managed on Alpines. Pretty sure the switch you had replaced was an after market solenoid for controlling battery charging [pre-Vansco units used an echo charger vs a solenoid]. Not sure its replacement is related to your current inverter issues. The freedom 458 is a mod sine wave unit--a blown/popped fuse usually resulted in the system going dead, not blinking lights on the control panel-- I think. Your current unit might be repairable or another 458 might be available but now might be a good time to consider a new, pure sine-wave unit. Lots of options discussed on this forum....keep us posted.
PS--your 458 probably has an anolog [blinking light] control panel--thus no "advanced" menu/screen]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

IIRC, I got my reset button to work only after I disconnected battery power and 120 volt power first.

The phone plug type cable marked tsc is likely the battery temperature sensor. Not likely to be the problem. It will work without it, just not as efficiently.

I replaced mine with a Magnum pure sine wave inverter. Partly because I wanted pure sine wave, and partly because I didn't trust the Xantrex after reading about the "magic smoke". (A forum joke.)
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

Electrical problems worsened

Please see my next post as my problems just got worse. Thanks.

Tags
inverter