Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have been told there have been several discussions about the Onan inverters used in our rigs, however I have not been able to find one specific to my problem. I have had the coach for about a year, and I am replacing the control panel PC board in the refrig for the third time. I called Onan and they tell me the inverter I have (2HJBAA-4173C) is a modified sine wave model and there have been problems with appliances, mostly with the dishwasher, but some referigerators and microwaves because they can not handle the "modified" sine wave. Has anyone experienced this and should I expect other problems. I am concerned about the HD TV, sound system, microwave and a multitude of other electronic components in our coaches. Any information will be appreciated.

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have been told there have been several discussions about the Onan inverters used in our rigs, however I have not been able to find one specific to my problem. I have had the coach for about a year, and I am replacing the control panel PC board in the refrig for the third time. I called Onan and they tell me the inverter I have (2HJBAA-4173C) is a modified sine wave model and there have been problems with appliances, mostly with the dishwasher, but some referigerators and microwaves because they can not handle the "modified" sine wave. Has anyone experienced this and should I expect other problems. I am concerned about the HD TV, sound system, microwave and a multitude of other electronic components in our coaches. Any information will be appreciated.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, my 2007 Bus came with a modified sine wave inverter. By the time I got it home I was having problems with the ice dispenser. They were notorious for frying the boards for the in-dooor water and ice dispenser (Amana residential side by side fridge). I replaced mine with an Xantrex RS3000 true sine wave inverter and had no more problems. Modified sine wave just doesn't work with electronics. There are some things that run on it but it will shorten the life of those items.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #4

We have an '06 Alpine. I believe it has a true sign wave inverter. Is this so?

We had both our cell phones go out while on our summer trip. I actually wondered if it had something to do with the charging system. However, we have used them before on trips with no problems.

Beverly
Old 09-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Certain battery chargers are known to not work on modified sine wave. Makita cordless tools are one. Some others will run but fail early. Generally, any electronics do not do well with mod sine so it is conceivable that your phones may have suffered. For a better look at the differences between the two sine waves check out This Link in the RV Tech Library.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Dave,

Do you have a residential refer or a Dometic? If it is a Dometic your wiring is incorrect and the refer should not be on an inverter circuit.

Sully

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #7

Cruzer,

Thanks for making it easy for me to find info on inverters. Ours is an Zantrex RS 2000. That is pure sine wave, isn't it? I thought perhaps yours being RS 3000 was just bigger for a bigger load such as res. fridge, etc.

Beverly
Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I put an RS2000 in my 2004 Bus. It is a true sine wave and a good inverter/charger. The only real difference betwen the RS2000 ansd RS3000 is that the RS2000 has a 30 amp single pole transfer switch while the RS3000 has a 50 amp 2 pole transfer switch, plus another 1,000 watts. You don't need the 3,000 unless you have a residential fridge. The RS2000 will easily handle everything else.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #9

Cruzer, we have an Apex with the res fridge and we have an RS2000. We have not had any trouble yet, do you predict that we will given the combo?
Thanks,
Lyle
Lyle & Cath
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on how much load you draw at any one time. If you kick in the microwave/convection oven while the fridge is cycling, and the battery charger is charging (and running lights, etc) at close to full you would exceed 30 amps. That's the rating of the transfer switch in the RS2000 and it's also the rating for the AC breaker that should be feeding the RS2000 from the breaker panel. To protect the inverter the 30 amp breaker would pop. So, you won't damage it but it'll be a nuisance resetting the breaker all the time.

Here's the math:

1) The inverter/charger's charger ios rated at 100 amps @ 12 VDC. This is the maximum it'll put out to charge batteries and run any 12 volt lights, water pump, fans, etc. To put out that 100 amps @ 12 VDC it will take 10 amps of AC power.

2) My Amana 21 cu ft residential fridge is rated at 9.4 amps. Whether or not this is startup load or running load I don't know (starting is always more). Also, whether or not that includes the ice maker running is another unknown.

3) My Sharp microwave/convection oven, which is very popular in many RVs, draws 13 amps when on the highest microwave setting.

Add these 3 up and you're over 30 amps. That also doesn't allow for any coffee pot, crock pot, or other device that you may plug in to an inverter fed outlet. If all of your outlets are powered by the inverter it doesn't matter if you have 600 amps coming in via the shore power. The inverter's transfer switch will only pass 30 amps.

The RS3000 uses a 50 amp transfer switch and is fed by dual breakers so you have much more "pass through" power capability, even though the actual inverter's output is only an extra 1,000 watts.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Sully - We have the Amana residential refer.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
OK, so this sounds like a design issue to me, has WRV come up with a retro fit? With this being the third control panel in the frig, I wonder what is going on with the HD TV, the sound system (that has been replaced twice), the microwave, it has been reparied once, and a list of other electronic devices we have in the coach. I realize that as long as I only run these devices on shore or generator power I am OK, however one of the features we purchased was the ability to dry camp.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I spoke to Phil Matoon today. He tells me that there is a beefier control board. It has a ceramic resistor so it can stand higher temperatures. He has arranged to have one sent to me. I will have the Amana tech install it instead of their standard part, let's hope that fixes it.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
The replacement control board arrived today and just as Phil said the resistor has been replaced by a ceramic resistor that looks like it can handle a LOT of heat. Time will tell.