Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Inverter Screen Settings

After an afternoon of "light" reading about charger/inverters, two questions come to mind.
1) How often, if at all, do most people use the "equalize" function?
and
2)How are amp hours determined, in regards to the setting on the panel?

I have a lot more questions but I hope they will answer themselves with more research.

Thanks
swprdog
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

Reply in SOLID LETTER CAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by swprdog View Post
After an afternoon of "light" reading about charger/inverters, two questions come to mind.
1) How often, if at all, do most people use the "equalize" function? WHAT KIND OF BATTERIES? IF WET CELL, PERHAPS ONCE A QUARTER. A LITTLE MORE FREQUENTLY IF FREQUENTLY DEEPLY DISCHARGED.

2)How are amp hours determined, in regards to the setting on the panel?
ADD UP THE AMP-HRS @ 12 VDC. SO IF 6 220 AMP HR 6 VDC BATTERIES IN SERIES/PARALLEL, YOU HAVE 660 AMP HRS @ 12 VDC

I have a lot more questions but I hope they will answer themselves with more research.

Thanks
swprdog
Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ... According to the Xantrex manual you should consult the battery manufacturer to determine if & when their batteries should be equalized. Typically, the "EQUALIZE" function on a charger is used to address poor battery performance on a battery string due to inconsistent or faster than expected drain. However, You need to make sure that the batteries are in good condition and there is no excessive amperage drain within your coach causing the poor performance. The excessive drain is the most difficult since use of an appropriate ammeter is required to check all connections down to fused connections if necessary.

I use Interstate wet cell batteries and have not experienced any reason to suggest that equalizing the batteries should even be considered.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

I won't address the issue of equalizing--there are any number of ideas about how much and when/how long batteries should be equalized. As with your second question, it depends on what kind of batteries and also what type of inverter/charge you have. Two or three issues to consider: 1-The Xantrex RS2000 inverter equalize cycle has a set run time of 60 minutes-- usually takes 2 cycles to complete a "full" equalization; 2- Equalization raises battery volts to over 15 volts--many owners disconnect all 12v appliances while equalizing; and 3- Make sure battery compartment is well ventilated. Using mineral oil for older bats to reduce gasing/evap is also an option.

Amp/hrs settings for inverter is also a "depends" question--IMHO. Usual technique of calculating/setting inverter is described above. HOWEVER--my opinion and experience is that the Xantrex RS2000 has a quirk and seems to perform best if the amp/hrs setting is left at the default of 440 amp/hrs, regardless of actual battery bank size. I am sure this last para on amp/hrs will "stir the pot!"
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Amp/hrs settings for inverter is also a "depends" question--IMHO. Usual technique of calculating/setting inverter is described above. HOWEVER--my opinion and experience is that the Xantrex RS2000 has a quirk and seems to perform best if the amp/hrs setting is left at the default of 440 amp/hrs, regardless of actual battery bank size. I am sure this last para on amp/hrs will "stir the pot!"
Old Scout is correct, setting the Xantrex RS2000 inverter for 660 amp hours will not work correctly. I called Xantrex about the issue a couple of years ago and the response from them was to leave it on 440.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Equalize is not often used, How often depends on several things however.

Amp hours I can answer

First: Six volt GC-2 type batteries are considered in pairs as one battery, They are 220 amp hours give or take 10 depending on the specific model (Some can be as high as 250 but they are rare) That is for the pair.

Group size batteries (24,27,29.31,4D,8D)

24 75 AH
27 just under 100 (use 100 for rough estimate)
29, Just over (Also use 100)
31, 130
both of the D sizes I listed (4 and 8) about the same as a pair of GC-2 (use 220)

Count up all the batteries (six volt remember to count PAIRS not batteries) add 'em up and that's your amp hours

NOTE: some companies (Wal*mart is the worst) use alternate means to calculate the amp hour rating so teh label on a WM G-24 shows over 100 AH, but it is still only 73 AH at the C/20 rate.

The more accurate method is to find out from the battery manufacturer, or to test them with a somewhat expensive tester.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

Thanks All,

I have 6 Interstate batteries(changed them to Trojans, then found out the Interstates were brand new when I bought the coach, so I changed them back) They are 232 amp hour. Any info I could find on the Interstate website stated basically not to equalize unless they are old or you are having a problem(paraphrased). So....I have decided not to equalize charge and to set my amp hours on the meter to 440( I believe mine defaults to 400). In case it matters the Interstate batteries are wired in the six volt configuration and they are wet cell GC2-XHD

Fire at will
Old 11-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

So technically, you have 696 amp/hrs based on six, 6-volt, 232 amp/hr rated batteries, or said another way--348 amp/hrs of usable power [assuming no less than 50 percent SOC]. Perhaps I missed it--but, what kind of inverter/charger to you have?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-30-2016, 06:40 PM   #9

OldScout

I have the Onan Inverter/Charger Model 2HJBAA-4173C. It does appear to never has been changed but it does have a "reconditioned" sticker on the side. Makes me wonder if previous owner had issues or would WRV have put in "seconds" that they got a deal on? It took me a while to find it and it was very dust covered, which leads me to believe its been there awhile.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #10

WOW--think you may have a "collector's item" there. Most of the ones put in early 05 Alpines subsequently failed and were replaced. Doubt if there are many Alpiners left with first-hand knowledge of operating your Onan inverter.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #11

I think I may have "intermittent" problems with my charger/inverter(C/I). It seems to not fully charge the batteries(volts read good, but amps might be weak). Also after two weeks of dry camping, I got a "fault 58, Battery Temp High" and it wouldn't charge. I got it home and plugged in and seems to charge well. When I unplug, inverter off, battery indicator on panel indicates batteries require charge after just a short time. Batteries are new. From another post, and reading the manual, I learned that Battery Temp monitoring is a function of the C/I. I have not gotten a Batt Temp warning since my return but I'm skeptical. Any tests I can do(either in place or removed) or do I need to take it somewhere and have it done? The manual states one test for the Batt Temp function is to check resistance between the lugs( should be between 8K ohms and 15K ohms at "room temperature",thats the problem, my garage won't be "room temperature" until May) Also,If it comes down to having to replace the C/I, what is a suitable replacement? and is it going to be a "plug and play" or will it require a massive modification?.
Thanks
Any and all input is greatly appreciated
Old 12-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Is your battery temp sensor mounted on a negative terminal? How do the contacts look where the sensor plugs into the C/I? I have some directions here on how to test the BTS:

1) unplug the BTS
2) cycle AC power to the unit to start a charge cycle
3) after the charge cycle is complete, measure the float voltage of the bank (should be around 13.5. If it's still over 14, then the unit is still in absorb or bulk stage. Time for coffee. Check again in an hour.

NEXT:

1) Plug in the BTS and put it in a cup of hot water
2) cycle AC power to the unit to start a charge cycle
3) after the charge cycle is complete, measure the float voltage of the bank (should be LESS than the voltage you measured in previous test. It should be about 0.027 V less per degree centrigrade. If the water was at 80 degrees, then it should be about (60 x 0.027V)=1.6V less than in test 1, or about 12V

Hope that helps.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #13

Thank You,
I give it a try this afternoon.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #14

J + T:

Before I got started on the test phase I looked at the connection on the battery and it's hooked up to a POSITIVE terminal. Should it be on the NEGATIVE side and if so where?

Thanks

Tags
inverter, scr