Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Is Alpine so Great???

I'm a second-owner (Used) Alpine guy. Lotsa 'stuff' being corrected-constantly!

My question: If Alpine is so wonderful, why are there more posts in this forum for Alpine than Country Coach and other 'premium' brands?

It seems to me that the most successful (worry-free) brands would be the ones with the fewest problems, huh?

1999 Alpine 36' FDS

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club

Many of the brands that have forums in on this website also have forums on other websites. For instance on the CC forum I;ve seen references to a forum hosted on Yahoo that appearently has a lot of traffic. I'm not aware of forums for the Alpine Coach elsewhere so this is the only game in town.

'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
iRV2 is an online "community." The people who meet here are those who have been attracted here by some method.

CC-iRV2 has low traffic because CC owners have not been attracted in large numbers. Early on CC tried to captivate their clientele in a CC-only, CC-sponsored web "experience." Those who wanted to share technical data where they wouldn't be censored went to the Yahoo discussion group for CC owners. If you want to hear ranting about how CC owner's have been treated, sign in at the Yahoo discussion group. It isn't all sweetness and light.

Alpiner's started coming to iRV2 for the same reason, the opportunity to share technical and other chat. Alpiner's also tend toward technical geekery more so than other brand owners (goes w/the origins of the coach), so we need this type of outlet. Folks who have no interest in the guts, heartbeat and nervous system of their rig don't spend much time on venues like this, while the technogeeks do.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
I tend to look at the fact that Alpine owners are more interested in the overall aspects of their coach...
Mike has made the point that Alpiner's tend to be more "hands on" and exchanging of knowledge and idea's...

I think when your inclined to stick with a coach company, you are more interested in all faccett's of that coach.

I will tell it like it is..... I got the golden opportunity to sit at a huge rv place in Arizona a few years back {2005} and test drive every motorhome known {just about}......
I remember driving the Alpine on a earlier test.... and then "TRYING" to find ANYTHING from 1 mil down to drive like it....

I did NOT like the "fit and finish" and more over disliked the cabin arrangement... {placement of the kitchen table} constuction of the kitchen table} I like the ones coming right out of the wall with sturdy bench sets} I also want to stand up under my kitchen table which is impossible.... the quality of the cabin material could not match other inside coach builders.... They just had better placement of everything....
higher quality tolerances....
I did not drive a Newell so I must exclude that from consideration...

Alpine is about the ride........ If you are going to be in all parts of the country....... and put heavy mileage on...You need a Alpine....
If you are going to pretty much park it in one spot and move very infrequently... buy something else...
Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
"Is Alpine so great" In a word YES. You can't find a better driving/riding coach and we have larger water/sewer storage capacity than most other coaches. We love our Alpine and have had less problems with it than with the CC of the same year that we traded in on it.
Gary & Betsy Sinclair
2005 36' Alpine Limited
Lake Chelan, WA
Gary & Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
To describe the handling of a Alpine just imagine a slot car on tracks, but on a much larger scale............. Gotta love the handling & ride.
John & Greta
'05 36' FDDS
JWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Also, as "Orphans" we must band together as we have no other "helpline" when we need knowledge.....
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We have had our share of problems but whenever people enter or ride in our coach the comments are always positive. And I really enjoy tinkering with it. The forum gives me so much information that allows me to improve an already great piece of equipment. Makes RVING even more fun!
Jerry and Judy Davis
Fremont, California
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
As much as an Alpine is so great, Alpine owners are even better. I have never met such a diverse group of individuals whom are all so generous with their advice and assistance. This really is like a big family, most of whom you will never meet personally.

I've never owned a motorhome other than my Alpine, but I'm convinced we have no more problems than any other coaches, and probably fewer.

By the same token, if I'm in a jam I know where I can go for some quick answers.

I think the forum just allows us to stay in touch with each other.
Rick Coleman
'05 Alpine 36MDDS
Rick Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
I agree with all the good stuff about the Alpines completely. I am not to sure about the geekery and being a technogeek. Funny I have been in the Industrial Crane & Tool service & repair business for 50 years and never been referred to as a geekietech. We learn something everyday. At least E Mike did not use abbreviations for it as we would have never worked them out.
Anyway the Alpines are a great coach but not without the people and their support in this forum.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
Alpine Owners Club
Yes, the ride is the best. But other people who own motorhomes have issues, it's impossible not too. When 30,000 pounds or more is hurtling down the roads, something is going to shake loose, break, become rattled, something. And I believe we are more hands on as a rule owning Alpines than others. Yeah, ok the quality could have been better, but, I don't think they used worse components, it's just the QA sucked. That said, I have learned more about my MH reading things on hear, than anyplace else. It's a great group. I always check each park we stay at for other alpine owners to compare notes, places, things, just get the news so to speak. I have never met one/couple who were not just the nicest folks you would ever want to meet.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Alpine Owners Club
Oh, when we went looking for a new RV, knowing the Alpines had the most fresh water, most sewer holding and gray water holding was a solid 10 for us. You never know when you will need all that capacity, and who know when we might go boondocking.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
I look at the CC forum on yahoo and it is very busy forum with over 200 new messages sometimes. chevman
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
I get the CC Yahoo digest each day by email, and it has more activity each day than the Yahoo Diesel Pusher group. Since CC's are a small subset of DP's overall, that would seem a mathematical contradiction on its face. Instead it is simply a reflection that folks gather where they choose, and CC owners defaulted early to that forum, as Alpiners gathered here.

FWIW, typical CC complaints:
1) fuses are placed GKW for the convenience of assemblers, not users, where is my XX fuse?
2) where is my XX filter? Its not where it should be
3) I had to remove the floor of my closet to get at the...
4) chassis battery not charging off inverter
5) house battery not charging off alternator
6) coach died going down freeway
7) air leveling not working, what to do
8) lost steering boost & engine overheated, blew radiator cuz PTO hydraulic pump died @ 30,000, cost me $20,000
9) glad you mentioned PTO, got mine fixed JIT for only $1,400
11) clearance lights recall
12) how can they say "Best Motorcoaches on Earth" when they pull this kind of @))%^#*^@ on the assembly line? (or design them this way)
13) nobody @ Tech Support returns my call
14) fiberglass delam costing me over $30,000 and rising

The PTO problems have been 1/3 to 1/2 of the discussion for some time, and that's why I joined. Interestingly, you can drop by anytime and read the DP groups postings, can't recall if you can search them also, without joining; have to join to post. CC's group requires that you join to even read the postings.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote