Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Is an Alpine a smart buy?

Also be aware of you want to stay in state campground they do not have many, if an sites for 40' or larger, most parks limit it to 36'.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtxbiker View Post
Hello Terry W, This is my opinion but as several others have stated the company being out of business is not so much a factor unless major chassis work is required. Most all other items can be repaired or replaced with aftermarket items.
I found that after looking at some new models that they used a lesser quality of materials in construction. However I did not look at the very high end coaches as I am not in that income bracket. After looking at the used Alpine coaches I decided the quality and the price was worth buying used. I ended up with a quality coach for what a new coach that was a lesser quality would cost. If you go and look at some of the new motor homes and compare the materials you will see what I am talking about. Remember that even buying new you will have problems that need to be taken care of but you have a warranty. I had to do some repairs to the one I bought but all in all I am satisfied with my decision. Only you can decide if the Alpine is a good buy.
This is why I'm looking at a higher end used MH. There is something intriguing about Alpine, owner loyalty being one thing. They seem to have plenty of cargo capacity and the floor plans are very nice. I also like the quality of the materials used inside and out.

I have only had an opportunity to look at two Alpines, a 40 and a 34. The 40 I looked at is a little beat up looking and the 34 just too small. I don't mind doing a little clean up and catching up on some maintenance, but at $100k entry I don't want to have any major issues. Alpine is definitely on our short list and we are also looking at Monaco, Beaver and HR. I have an appt. this Sat to look at a Monaco with the floor plan we like.

We'll see how it looks. I want to get the right MH and keep it for a long time. I've had 3 MHs and I've had my current one for 10 yrs. Hopefully we know by now exactly what we want in the way of a floor plan, but you know how that goes.

Thanks for your input!!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you buy Newmar new now, stay away from any Monaco & HR which was built when Navistar owned the company, that would be after 08 and until 2012/3. Any good used Monaco or HR prior to 07 is also a great value. I have a friend with 02 Monaco Dynasty which is for sale, he wants to sell his jeep with it since its setup to tow, he would take 95K and it's in top shape with around 65K miles?????. If you want more info please send me a PM on this forum, I can give you his phone number.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Also be aware of you want to stay in state campground they do not have many, if an sites for 40' or larger, most parks limit it to 36'.
We haven't found that to be much of a problem even with our 41' rig. It can limit you if you like forest service campgrounds though, although we have found some that have newer areas that work just fine for us. Most commercial parks have no problem at 41'. We're looking at closing a deal on a 45' now in fact.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #19

Kind of resurrecting this thread. I've noticed a difference in the kitchen are a layout that seems to have occurred in '04 or '05. Looks like the entry door moved from between the dining table and recliner to the rear of the dining table. The result is that you enter directly into the kitchen which seems like a nice feature. Walk in on hard flooring instead of tracking on the carpet.

We find this layout to be very nice and we really like the big windows on the curbside.

I am also wondering about any big differences between a 02 and an 06 or so. I guess what I'm asking is, are the older ones as good as the later ones? Towing, CCC, storage, tank sizes etc.

Thanks
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Terry, go to the Alpine tech library, the first section has the brochures from 1999 - 2007, that should help you understand the capacities and differences.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Air assisted Hydraulic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Very seldom talk with an Alpine owner, that is not happy with their coach.

Great handling. Solid construction. WRV took care of some early year models that had some front end problems, and are good to go after correction. Hydraulics vs Air brakes has been mentioned, probably a wash as far as maintenance costs over the years. They do have a different feel the Air. Those that are driving a DP for the first time, will probably adjust to them quicker than the getting used to the feel difference of Air brakes. Both do a fine job of stopping a coach.

We liked the mid entry coaches, as the DW dislikes the blocked visibility of the front entry.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
When I bought my 05' Avalanche, I was told the brakes are "Air-Assisted" Hydraulics. Can it be Both ?
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine Forum.

The Avalanche if memory serves me correctly only came with Air Brakes not hydraulic. I do not remember if Hydraulic disc brakes were an option on the Avalanche.

They have produced air over hydraulic brakes but I do not believe they were used by WRV. We had them on our duce and half and 5 ton trucks when I was in the SEEBEES.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #23
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Both Alpine and Beaver coaches in the early years had "Air Assisted" Hydraulic brakes. My current Beaver has them.

I've had coaches with full air brakes.

If I had a preference, after having had both, it would be full air.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #24

You have to talk to an Alpine owner to get the straight skinny on Alpine--as Dave pointed out and I believe, the short-lived Avalanche model had air brakes as std equip, so during that time, some Std model Alpines might of had air brakes as an option???? However, from the beginning, the Std Alpine brake option was hydraulic service brakes--no air assist. Non-owners may be confused by the fact that Alpines do use air pressure to release the parking/ emergency brake, but that is it....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Hello & Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine Forum.

The Avalanche if memory serves me correctly only came with Air Brakes not hydraulic. I do not remember if Hydraulic disc brakes were an option on the Avalanche.

They have produced air over hydraulic brakes but I do not believe they were used by WRV. We had them on our duce and half and 5 ton trucks when I was in the SEEBEES.
When I looked at the Brochure that came with the Coach, I seem to remember it stating "Air-Assisted" Hydraulic brakes but, with my elderly fading memory I better look again. Whichever it is, I lie the way the Brakes feel, especially the top hung pedal. Maybe it could be an option, the Coach has some optional features according to the Brochure. I bought it used in 2010 with 6780 miles on it...If that's true miles, and it looks and drives fine. it now has almost 20K ( I don't think I'll be wearing it out!)
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote