Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Is an Alpine a smart buy?

We are currently thinking about upgrading and our short list is the PAQ floor plan all common to Monaco, Beaver and Holiday Rambler 40 footers from approximately '04 to '08.

We have also looked at a 40MDTS that we really liked. The common feature with all these coaches is the big curbside windows and dining areas. We also are intrigued by the mid entry of the MDTS as well as the big curbside windows in a couple of other floorplans.

Alpine seems to have a very loyal following. I have always been under the impression that they are/were higher end coaches with nice cabinetry and a great chassis. This is what we're looking for in the way of a coach.

My question is if we were to find the one we want would we have issues with parts and support etc. Would those of you that have bought Alpine used in the past couple years do it again or go for another more common brand. How would owner rate these compared to Monaco, Beaver and HR?

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

There's a lot of support right here and with the Alpine Coach Association. Parts are available. I would do it again without question.

BTW - my DW loves the mid-door entry. She says it makes her feel like she's entering the house, not the bus.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
There are a lot of manufacturers thar are no more. These coaches do not have many unique parts, most are made by others and assembled by the coach manufacturers. Folks like HWH, Aqua Hot, Dometic, eye are still in business, and there are many substitutes, just look at the options for a inverter/charger.

You are right, there is a very supportive group here and in the Alpine Coach Association. I would not change!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
There are a lot of manufacturers thar are no more. These coaches do not have many unique parts, most are made by others and assembled by the coach manufacturers. Folks like HWH, Aqua Hot, Dometic, eye are still in business, and there are many substitutes, just look at the options for a inverter/charger.

You are right, there is a very supportive group here and in the Alpine Coach Association. I would not change!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I agree. Most all coaches use parts common to other coaches and I would guess that if push came to shove, you could swap in a similar part... except maybe a frame but who ever heard of a frame failing...maybe cracking or a weld breaking but not to the point it needs to be replaced. My only concern with my coach would be the windshield.

And Alpine was on my short list also.....in fact, when I bought my Beaver, I went to look at an Alpine...seems they have all the quality components without all the fluff...I always liked the way they looked and love the mid door option.

The only downside that I see people mentioning is the hydraulic brakes on some models rather than air (not sure of the years) but then again if hydraulic is good enough for a 747 (aircraft) it's good enough for a DP.....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post

The only downside that I see people mentioning is the hydraulic brakes on some models rather than air (not sure of the years) but then again if hydraulic is good enough for a 747 (aircraft) it's good enough for a DP.....
There's no downside to hydraulic brakes unless you're going to couple the coach to a trailer with air actuated braking. The 747 reference is spot on.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

Terry,

You are correct, most of us are very loyal to our Alpine Coaches. Relatively few of us sell our Alpines and buy something else to replace it. Most are sold due to health issues, or tired of the RV lifestyle, not due to dissatisfaction with the coach. So any opinion you will find here is biased!

This forum as well as the ACA website are great sources of information on where to find the necessary parts. As others have said, almost all parts are common to other coaches, not exclusive to Alpine Coach, so it is just a matter of finding out who made it. Chassis parts are only a big deal if you wreck one. And in that case you would be in trouble no matter who made the coach. The suspensions are not exclusive to Alpines either.

The lack of factory support is not an issue for us. I have had mine for 11 years.

I see you are in So Cal. We have an active group of Alpine owners here in So Cal. Check out our website, alpinesocal.com. Rallies with fellow owners is a great source of information about the coaches. Just open your hood at a rally, and you will be surprised at the number of people you will draw!! Same with the ACA national group.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

I bought my first 36 footer Alpine in Oct 99. We had it for 10 years and it was great coach. When WRV went out business in 2008, there were still few new coaches for sale at the end of 2009. I bought a new 2007 Mid Door Apex. I had to work the new coach bugs out and it is great coach now we love. I have had this one for 5 years now. It has mid door which I wasn't looking for, but after having it, it is great.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I like the Alpine coaches.

My Beaver has the mid entry door as well. Something my wife really likes!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the input. I will look around and see what is out there. I plan on keeping whatever I buy for 10 yrs or longer. Who knows, maybe it'll be my last coach. I tend to keep things and not change just for the sake of change.

Thanks again, Terry
Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #10

Terry
Here is a Calif. coach, something to look at.
2005 Alpine Coach 40MD 3-Slide 400hp Full Body Paint Aqua-Hot, ***99,990*** Big Cummins ISL 400hp
We had a Alpenlite 5er for 10 years and never had a problem, like the WRV products.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Alpine Apex for sale

I put my 2006 Alpine Apex on the market. Check it out if interested.
Alpine Apex - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
2006 Alpine Apex - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
Tom
tomaryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Terry
Here is a Calif. coach, something to look at.
2005 Alpine Coach 40MD 3-Slide 400hp Full Body Paint Aqua-Hot, ***99,990*** Big Cummins ISL 400hp
We had a Alpenlite 5er for 10 years and never had a problem, like the WRV products.
2 stroker
Thanks Stroker, I've looked at that one a couple of times. We like the layout and the mid entry is appealing. But, that particular coach is very used looking inside. Upholstery is beat up on driver and passenger chairs as well as the recliner, entry door gasket hanging out, cracked sink cover and a big a** glob of wires hanging out from under the dash. There are also a couple of outdoor things that need attention but never received any. It's a little scary.

They also have a 34' with the same floor plan that is very cool, but a little too small. Some research had led me to 36' MD which I've only seen pictures of, which appeals to me more than a 40 footer. Looks like I'm still learning about various sizes and floor plans of Alpine.

The search will continue and I will only buy the "right" one, whichever brand.

Terry
Old 01-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #13

Very seldom talk with an Alpine owner, that is not happy with their coach.

Great handling. Solid construction. WRV took care of some early year models that had some front end problems, and are good to go after correction. Hydraulics vs Air brakes has been mentioned, probably a wash as far as maintenance costs over the years. They do have a different feel the Air. Those that are driving a DP for the first time, will probably adjust to them quicker than the getting used to the feel difference of Air brakes. Both do a fine job of stopping a coach.

We liked the mid entry coaches, as the DW dislikes the blocked visibility of the front entry.

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #14

Good Buy?

Hello Terry W, This is my opinion but as several others have stated the company being out of business is not so much a factor unless major chassis work is required. Most all other items can be repaired or replaced with aftermarket items.
I found that after looking at some new models that they used a lesser quality of materials in construction. However I did not look at the very high end coaches as I am not in that income bracket. After looking at the used Alpine coaches I decided the quality and the price was worth buying used. I ended up with a quality coach for what a new coach that was a lesser quality would cost. If you go and look at some of the new motor homes and compare the materials you will see what I am talking about. Remember that even buying new you will have problems that need to be taken care of but you have a warranty. I had to do some repairs to the one I bought but all in all I am satisfied with my decision. Only you can decide if the Alpine is a good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
We are currently thinking about upgrading and our short list is the PAQ floor plan all common to Monaco, Beaver and Holiday Rambler 40 footers from approximately '04 to '08.

We have also looked at a 40MDTS that we really liked. The common feature with all these coaches is the big curbside windows and dining areas. We also are intrigued by the mid entry of the MDTS as well as the big curbside windows in a couple of other floorplans.

Alpine seems to have a very loyal following. I have always been under the impression that they are/were higher end coaches with nice cabinetry and a great chassis. This is what we're looking for in the way of a coach.

My question is if we were to find the one we want would we have issues with parts and support etc. Would those of you that have bought Alpine used in the past couple years do it again or go for another more common brand. How would owner rate these compared to Monaco, Beaver and HR?

Thanks, Terry