Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the same set-up as Elkhartjim, it works fine for me. I sometimes go to Pio Pico, a thousand trails park located in Jamul, CA. The park has hills surrounding it all four sides, The cell tower is far away. I usally get 3 bars.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Get an amplifier. However, I am sold on using the smart phone as a wifi hot spot. No hassle at all and only the phone is required, not another system.
Thanks targaboat..

That's what my Kids/Grandkids say too....of course they text all the time and have the ringers turned off a lot. My life is too busy to text...voice communication only for me...and I don't do voice mail at all. Those that I have to answer their calls instead of them answering mine.. don't get my business. I'm always doing something important when they return my call...like fishing..LOL!

My Grandson is on the road all the tme and couldn't live without a smartphone or texting....so he thinks I'm just an old coot. Hmmm..maye I am ?

I can't hear (absolutely none of the newer phones ring loud enough for me to hear outside) ...or see one well enough to deal with the hassle on a daily basis. Plus I have big hands so touch screens arn't user friendly for me...

So I use a phone for a phone ..and any texting I do is via e-mail where time is of no importance. Of course when time is of no importance...neither is the message in my view.

Internet access is paramount anymore though.. for conducting all manner of business...

Like this forum for instance..invaluable aid for on the road RV issues/assistance..

So I guess I'll have to buy an amp for internet reception.....

Best regards..

Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I have the same set-up as Elkhartjim, it works fine for me. I sometimes go to Pio Pico, a thousand trails park located in Jamul, CA. The park has hills surrounding it all four sides, The cell tower is far away. I usally get 3 bars.
Okie-Dokie..

That's very good for a location surrounded by hills...looks like everyone that has an antenna and an amplifier has decent reception..

thanks..
Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I get the same results as Okie Dokie. Shop around on price, I'm positive I didn't spend near that much-$800.00. Check prices on Amazon.com for sure.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Stan,
I have the Wilson Trucker Antenna and Cell Booster. We were at an RV park near Zion NP where several folks had noted an inability to get Verizon service. The reviews were from a month prior to when we were there. I had three bars with the USB internet device and am certain it was because of the booster. So... it's kind of expensive but it does the job. In fact the only times it didn't work, we were way out in the boonies, way beyond BF Egypt!
Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I get the same results as Okie Dokie. Shop around on price, I'm positive I didn't spend near that much-$800.00. Check prices on Amazon.com for sure.

Ejim..you are right I didn't spend that much either.

I was a little high on my estimate (exagerated?)...as I couldn't remember the price of the air card for sure..

With the air card , $300 amp and $150 antenna and router..I will have spent just over $650....not counting the data plan cost.

The data plan is $60/5gb....but I have no contract and can turn it off any time. Partial months use are prorated.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Stan,
I have the Wilson Trucker Antenna and Cell Booster. We were at an RV park near Zion NP where several folks had noted an inability to get Verizon service. The reviews were from a month prior to when we were there. I had three bars with the USB internet device and am certain it was because of the booster. So... it's kind of expensive but it does the job. In fact the only times it didn't work, we were way out in the boonies, way beyond BF Egypt!
J&C

Is a Cell Booster the same as an amplifier? What kind did you use...Wilson has an Amplifier for $299 plus shipping..

I already have the Wilson Trucker antenna..and a router, both bought at 3Gonline...

If I can get it to do the job with an amplifier...it's money well spent. Thus far I'm disappointed to say the least..

Thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #22

Have the AT&T air card (USBCONNECT 881) for last several years, traveling all through the country except the far NE. To date have not have had any significant issues with reception or speed on the 3G service. Donít use an amplifier, aux antenna or router. Besides e-mail, the air card works for me with internet searching & upload/downloading large files for part time work.
BTF 05 40FDQS
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
I have a new AT&T air card that I have been messing with a couple of weeks now. It's a long story so I'll save it for a better time...but at this point I have a new antenna mounted on the coach and a new router with the air card mounted to the router.

Internet works...some of the time.
which air card/model do you have?
It's my understanding some models work better then others.
Also how long is your antenna wire?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
which air card/model do you have?
It's my understanding some models work better then others.
Also how long is your antenna wire?
Wanabe FTer..

I have the newest AT&T card (supposed to be anyway)...with the following on it's back side.

Sierra Wireless
AT&T USB Connect
Shockwave
QUALCOM 3G
FCC ID. N7NU308

The antenna wire is 20 ft. long.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Have the AT&T air card (USBCONNECT 881) for last several years, traveling all through the country except the far NE. To date have not have had any significant issues with reception or speed on the 3G service. Donít use an amplifier, aux antenna or router. Besides e-mail, the air card works for me with internet searching & upload/downloading large files for part time work.
BTF 05 40FDQS
Bigfish..

If your close by...I wish youd stop in for a day of two at Sowell Creek, Corp of Engineers RV Park in Comanche County ,Texas.

I could sure use a friendly neighbor with Good internet service..

Kidding aside...I hope to be able to give the
same report when I figure out what the problem is. AT&T has much better cell phone service in this area than other providers, so I was hoping for the same internet experience.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
Wanabe FTer..

I have the newest AT&T card (supposed to be anyway)...with the following on it's back side.

Sierra Wireless
AT&T USB Connect
Shockwave
QUALCOM 3G
FCC ID. N7NU308

The antenna wire is 20 ft. long.
That sounds like a good modem, I suspect the antenna set up is the problem. A 20' antenna cable can lose up to 2 dbi signal strength. The Wilson antenna you have is probably about a 5 dbi gain. Take the antenna at 5 dbi and minus cable loss up to 2 dbi and you probably only have appx 3dbi gain. Not enough to see a big difference. You could try using a one meter antenna cable length or you could try eliminating the antenna and cable, and run a USB extension so you can put the modem in a higher remote location. Keep the cable run as short as possible for best results.
Only other option would be to go ahead and get the cell signal booster and run the antenna cable any length you want. I would expect about a 50 to 60 dbi gain with an antenna and booster set up.
I am not sure if your modem uses the standard cell phone frequency 800 MHz or the new PCS 1900 MHz. It will make a difference when choosing the correct signal booster if you purchase a Wilson amp.

Edit
I found a new Wilson dual band booster on fleabay for $210 including shipping.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
That sounds like a good modem, I suspect the antenna set up is the problem. A 20' antenna cable can lose up to 2 dbi signal strength. The Wilson antenna you have is probably about a 5 dbi gain. Take the antenna at 5 dbi and minus cable loss up to 2 dbi and you probably only have appx 3dbi gain. Not enough to see a big difference. You could try using a one meter antenna cable length or you could try eliminating the antenna and cable, and run a USB extension so you can put the modem in a higher remote location. Keep the cable run as short as possible for best results.
Only other option would be to go ahead and get the cell signal booster and run the antenna cable any length you want. I would expect about a 50 to 60 dbi gain with an antenna and booster set up.
I am not sure if your modem uses the standard cell phone frequency 800 MHz or the new PCS 1900 MHz. It will make a difference when choosing the correct signal booster if you purchase a Wilson amp.

Edit
I found a new Wilson dual band booster on fleabay for $210 including shipping.
Thanks John..

You are dead on according to a Wilson sales person. 5db gain with the antenna and 50-60 db gain with an amplifier.

However he didn't say anything about db loss with a 20' cable...which is what the antenna comes with. I guess I could cut it off and recrimp a new end on it or something..

I can't say about the frequency needed for the the correct amp...