Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Is there more than one type Alpine rear view mirror

I like the remote mirror adjustment on the Alpines... but the lower part of the mirror leaves a lot to be desired when backing up and needing to clearly see how close/far you are to curbs, RV shed post, etc. The distortion or fish bowl effect makes it difficult to judge side distance I think, especially all the way back to the rear....so I'm constantly adjusting the top mirror down so I can see the ground when I'm backing into a tight spot . Am I the only one..?

I would perfer a one piece plain mirror with a spot mirror in the corner as was popular on many coaches for a long time.

Do they make this type mirror, or something similar, that can be mounted on the Alpine..??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Stan:

There are a variety of configurations available, including one that moves the convex mirror. After having several types on several vehicles, I've gotten used to the WRV configuration and yes, I do adjust the top mirror when backing into tight quarters. I just becomes second nature once you get used to them. Here is some info from Velvac, the OEM supplier:

http://www.velvac.com/pdf/RVGuide.pdf
Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

If you think running the genset is an expensive proposition--wait to you price Velvac mirror parts/replacements. They are truly proud of their product and you have to go thru a retail distributor--no wholesale or factory discounts.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

Slight hijack - has anyone had chrome peeling problems with the Velvac mirrors? I've got several parts that are really bad and just wondering if there's been any chance of Velvac replacing badly chromed parts. Anybody try going to them?
BTW, my problem was the high view so I put the toppers on and they work great. No more excuse for backing into a tree limb.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Stan:

There are a variety of configurations available, including one that moves the convex mirror. After having several types on several vehicles, I've gotten used to the WRV configuration and yes, I do adjust the top mirror when backing into tight quarters. I just becomes second nature once you get used to them. Here is some info from Velvac, the OEM supplier:

http://www.velvac.com/pdf/RVGuide.pdf

I am getting used to it, but the mirror control location is unhandy too...(on the 2001 at least). It's so far back on the arm panel that it was a little awkard to find at first. Especially when you are moving and wear progressive lenses....I just feel for it, so to speak.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
Slight hijack - has anyone had chrome peeling problems with the Velvac mirrors? I've got several parts that are really bad and just wondering if there's been any chance of Velvac replacing badly chromed parts. Anybody try going to them?
BTW, my problem was the high view so I put the toppers on and they work great. No more excuse for backing into a tree limb.

No problem...it's all good

.....and yup, tree limbs are a problem for me too. We have a lot of big Oak trees that line our driveway back to the RV shed. Up and down with the mirrors to make sure we don't hit the shed post or take the topper awning off.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
David:

When I talked to the paint shop, and as per other threads on this forum, the mirrors are painted with chrome, not coated/dipped. The shell around the mirror is actually plastic. The arm and plate seem to be pot metal. The paint shop suggested a detailed sanding, masking and paint-in-place strategy.

Afterward, just remember to keep them waxed. That is the biggest cause of the delamination. Most people skip waxing the mirrors and they really take abuse.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
David,

I have spoken to Velvac, their warranty is 12 months from date of sale to the original purchaser, or 24 months from date of manufacture . With that in mind most of the mirrors were out of warranty when the original owner purchased the coach . The good news as TP points out this is painted on chrome so sand and repaint. I have disassembly information on the mirrors, if you want it PM me. Oh yeah, the base plate from Velvac is $197.18 per side. I am waiting for a response to see if the distributers as less. For ~$400 to do both I will wait until mine are REALLY bad before replacing them.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote