Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Could you possibly have a batch of bad test strips? I have heard of that before.

Spider, If you are referring to my post all went well. I was at 1.2 in October I added the appropriate amount of DCA4. 1000 miles latter the DCA4 had completely mixed and my SCA/DCA was 2.8. My strips were fresh. Dated 09/2010.

If it was me I guess I was not very clear in my post.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I think my problem may be old test strips. I'm going to pick up some fresh strips and re-test.

2011 Allegro Bus
being pushed by a
2015 Lincoln MKC
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
The coolant that needs to be tested every six months is green and needs extenders added regularly. The Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT is blue and may need ES Extender (or charged filter in older engines) added every 150,000 miles, Cummins Irvine recommends testing every two years, though reportedly no additive is usually needed.

My engine came green and I changed it a few years back to the blue ES Compleat (dunno why they chose to spell it that way). It can be purchased undiluted or diluted.

There have been several very good discussions about the differences in fluid types and their pros and cons in Motorhome Magazine and Family Motor Coaching recently. Check their online editions.

Here is Fleetguard's ditty on it: ES Compleat?
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
I flushed my ISL 400 and changed to Fleetguard ES Optimax coolant. The only maintenace is to add an extender at 3 years or 300 K miles. I also flushed the generator and used ES Optimax on it but regular coolant is all you need for the generator because it is a dry sleeve engine not wet sleeve like the ISL. I realize that ES is probaly overkill but I got it for the same price as the OAT. After purchasing it I was told by Cummins that the made a mistake on the cost but would honor it...I took it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ESOptimaxEG.pdf (119.7 KB, 32 views)
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
All - I have both the ethylyne Glycol type and the oat. The green stuff was in the engine when new and is still in there. As I need coolant I add the oat stuff. The cooling system is going to be drained and flushed and then refulled this summer when I take it in for it's annual changes of fluids. They can flush the brakes then for me too. Cummins tests it every oil change and adds DCA4 as needed to keep it correct. Once I change it to the OAT stuff I won't have to worry about it as I understand it based on what fleetguard says on the website.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote