Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

It's Bleeding Green

Got the MH home from a quick(?) trip to the DMV yesterday. I got all situated to change the trans fluid and filters when low and behold, there was a drop of coolant and then another and so on. I can't see where it's coming from, but I'm guessing it's a seam somewhere near the top of the radiator. Looks like a helluva a job to pull the radiator. I can't imagine it's DIY friendly.

There's a local shop I've been using for almost 40 years and they do radiators for oil platform equipment and city trucks etc. They are very good at what they do. Looks like we'll be talking today or tomorrow.

I guess I'll be hemorrhaging some green :(
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Terry,

I can't help you directly but your radiator leak ('05 & '06 Models) is common. Before you involve a local repair shop, there have been numerous threads concerning the subject that includes replacement vs. repair and mounting modifications (problem source!?).

I'm sure some experienced owners will chime in here so be patient. However, you will undoubtedly bleed some green.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My 05 began leaking at 30k. It was replaced with a supposedly upgraded unit along with new vibration dampening grommets. This unit just started leaking again at 70k. Next month I'm having a new bolt together unit made by Radiator Suppy House, located in Oregon, installed. Looks like about $5500 for labor and parts.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

Terry, I've had about the same experience as Jerry with our '06 except the failure occurred at about 12,000 miles, at which point I had one of the Bullet Proof copper/steel units from Mac's in Portland installed. That lasted exactly one week after the two year warranty expired before it began leaking from the rear tank seam. It was rebuilt locally here in San Diego and so far, fingers tightly crossed, appears to be doing well. Apparently the radiator problems are the nature of the beast.

Jerry, your bolt together unit certainly sounds interesting; although the bolt together charge air cooler a lot of us have, and I had to have rebuilt with new gaskets certainly didn't guaranty to be failure-proof.

The $5,500 figure for the R&R of the coolant radiator is definitely in the ball park. As in most of these replacements, just figure the price of the new unit and add that again in labor, or even a bit more; that seems to be the norm these days.

Not to get your hopes up, but if you haven't already checked the upper radiator hose clamps you might just get lucky. Last fall I too saw the dreaded slow drip of coolant and figured it was the radiator again, fortunately it was just a couple clamps that needed to be snugged up a bit.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Another place to look for a quick, fix is the hose clamp at the top of the surge tank. When mine leaked (slowly - under pressure) the coolant traveled to assorted weird areas to drip. If that's it; it is easy to tighten the clamp from the rear of the coach through the door. If it is the "05 radiator curse" it will probably be dripping from the bottom rear of the radiator. .... Jerry let us know how they do at Radiator Supply House.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

My radiator was replace by Quinn Cat in Calif. total cost $5400 and it was ordered of Radiator Supply House
Radiator Supply House - What can we build for you?
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

All,

If I'm understanding this, the new improved upgraded unit is not the end of radiator problems. It appears that the upgrade can't be rebuilt or repaired just like the original. Correct?

I am thinking that the bolt together from radiator supply is the way to go. It seems like rebuilding would be better and more cost effective than replacing if this is something that has a good chance of happening again.

Thoughts??

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote