RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
“Jack down” while driving?

I was debating starting this thread because I’m thinking this will probably never happen again.

My wife and I and our 18 month daughter took our first overnight trip this past weekend hauling our boat and did some crabbing. Had a blast! Learned a lot.

On the way home while driving I got the “jacks down” light come on along with the dash alarm. Turned on the hwh control center and it didn’t show any jacks down. Drove nearly 5 miles before I found a good place to pull over. All jacks were up.

While in neutral with brake engaged I pressed “store” and the alarm sound and light went off.

Once I got home I went over everything. All sensor connectors are tight, fluid is fine, jacks were all retracted.

Any thoughts?
__________________

Hoaglandt616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
creativepart's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring Branch, TX
Posts: 1,169
Check your hydraulic fluid level. Low fluid warnings caused by rough roads or dips in the road are probably the cause. So if your fluid is close to low a bump can signal the alarms.
__________________

__________________
2017 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2016 Lincoln MKX Toad
creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
I did. When I got back home I checked sensor connectors, fluid level and tried to push up on each jack to see if it had indeed leaked. I will double check everything tomorrow for sure. Thank you.
Hoaglandt616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 137
Same thing happened to us recently (HWH system) Pulled over and did the exact procedure you did. It's never happened since, so not sure what's going on. I know that temperature change can cause hydraulics to creep some, typically as things cool off. Or perhaps the retract springs are getting a little weak? Tough to say....
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 137
"Jacks Down" warning came on while driving

Old thread from 2010 goes into detail why this may have happened.
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia
Posts: 732
Driver side rear jack is usually the problem. It will only drop an inch or so but that is enough to light up the light and sound the alarm. You have already found the solution. The only thing you can do to minimize this happening is to make sure to wait for the system to cycle off when storing after having them down. I've taken to stopping after about an hour and hitting the retract button and letting the system retract for a couple of minutes before turning off the system again.
__________________
Jeff
'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
Driver side rear jack is usually the problem. It will only drop an inch or so but that is enough to light up the light and sound the alarm. You have already found the solution. The only thing you can do to minimize this happening is to make sure to wait for the system to cycle off when storing after having them down. I've taken to stopping after about an hour and hitting the retract button and letting the system retract for a couple of minutes before turning off the system again.

EXACTLY. Not allowing the HWH panel to go through its whole cycle and turn itself off can trap fluid in the lines.



Particularly with the heat of the day and driving, that trapped fluid can expand just enough to trigger the "jack down" alarm.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Red Bluff, Ca
Posts: 210
I've experienced the "jacks down warning" twice in 4 years. The first time I "stressed" for several miles while searching for a turn out in heavy traffic.

The last time was only a week ago. I immediately energized the HWH system (one click) and pushed the "store button". Warning light went out and buzzer stopped while I looked for a turn out to verify that jacks were up.

Since the first occurrence I have allowed the "Store Function" to run until it turns off automatically. So, I was surprised to get the recent jacks warning.
__________________
Gene
1998 36FDS Alpine
Red Bluff, Ca.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaglandt616 View Post
I was debating starting this thread because I’m thinking this will probably never happen again.

My wife and I and our 18 month daughter took our first overnight trip this past weekend hauling our boat and did some crabbing. Had a blast! Learned a lot.

On the way home while driving I got the “jacks down” light come on along with the dash alarm. Turned on the hwh control center and it didn’t show any jacks down. Drove nearly 5 miles before I found a good place to pull over. All jacks were up.

While in neutral with brake engaged I pressed “store” and the alarm sound and light went off.

Once I got home I went over everything. All sensor connectors are tight, fluid is fine, jacks were all retracted.

Any thoughts?
That had to be scary to see that jacks down light come on while going down the road. I would have freaked out.
TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Barbaraok's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Traveling in North America
Posts: 2,006
When we first had the coach we had this problem. After putting new springs on all around we haven't had any problems. Of course my saying this will probably jinx us!
__________________
Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
On The Road since 2006
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
Will the system power off completely or will the travel mode green light just turn on when it’s complete?

Out of curiosity, how level is your HWH stern getting your coach when on let’s say a 3-5* grade front to back?
Hoaglandt616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ljwt330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Capistrano Beach, California
Posts: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaglandt616 View Post
Will the system power off completely or will the travel mode green light just turn on when it’s complete?

Out of curiosity, how level is your HWH stern getting your coach when on let’s say a 3-5* grade front to back?

First, I had the same experience as you, and "fixed" it the way others mentioned. Yes, very scary the first time it happens! Fluid level was full, all jacks were up. I concluded it was a failure to allow the complete shut down of the HWH system when I left the campsite. The manual says you should allow about six minutes for full retraction of the system, even if the green "TRAVEL MODE" light is ON. Honestly, I cannot remember if it shuts itself OFF. Now, I wait a good 10 minutes before starting the engine at which time the system turns OFF when the ignition is moved from ACC. to START. No problems since.


Now, to your question. I set my coach to auto level and allow the computer to complete its cycle. I always find it is too high in the front and on the right side when I use a level inside (I use the level at three locations in the MH, just for accuracy.) Also, the water in the toilet as well as the swing out of the toilet door indicate a slight out-of-level-setting. I then just use manual mode and gradually lower the coach until level is reached. I know the auto level sensors can be adjusted, but it's just not that big a deal to tweak the auto setting, manually.


One other thing. I always do a walk around after leveling to insure all jacks are in ground contact. I have found, on a few occasions, that one of the rear jacks is not in contact--something that should have been done when on auto-level. Even if the rear does not need leveling, the rear jacks are deployed to stabilize the coach.
__________________
Larry, Eileen, and Finley
2004 Alpine 36FDDS
Third motor home, first Alpine, no need for another.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 35
^^^^Exactly what I experienced this past weekend as well. I too used the bathroom door and also a bouncy ball that I had found. One of the rear jacks was barely touching the ground. After it ran through its cycle I just had the wife push some buttons while I eyed it from outside.

When storing I’ll give it more time from now on. First thought is your waiting for that “jack down” to make contact on the road when you hit a bump. Then you get out to look and nothing. Haha.

Thank you for all the help and info everyone.
Hoaglandt616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Russ Silber's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Space Coast Fl
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaglandt616 View Post
^^^^Exactly what I experienced this past weekend as well. I too used the bathroom door and also a bouncy ball that I had found. One of the rear jacks was barely touching the ground. After it ran through its cycle I just had the wife push some buttons while I eyed it from outside.

When storing I’ll give it more time from now on. First thought is your waiting for that “jack down” to make contact on the road when you hit a bump. Then you get out to look and nothing. Haha.

Thank you for all the help and info everyone.
Let system run until it turns off by it self. Sometimes takes 3-4,
Min. Happened on our 1999 Dutchstar. Very scary going down the road. Our salesmen told us the secret. Don't rush mother nature
__________________

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generator shuts down while driving but not while stopped KeysVal MH-General Discussions & Problems 18 09-14-2019 04:30 PM
Darn jack down buzzer driving me crazy. pameridan04 Tiffin Owner's Forum 11 03-29-2019 06:08 AM
Is this just our RV? No sound on TV while running Generator while driving? vanbuskirk Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 5 09-06-2016 02:52 PM
Hydraulic jack warning while driving ArveeBama Class A Motorhome Discussions 32 07-20-2016 03:16 AM
"Jacks Down" warning came on while driving gator67 Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 24 07-28-2010 08:57 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×