Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #1

Jack Spring Diameters

I am going to be replacing the springs on my leveling jacks. My jacks constantly need help to return home. If I clean the shaft's it helps for a short period. Now the jacks are falling a little after they are fully retracted causing jack down alarms. The tabs that the springs attach to on the jack feet are also bent in a little causing the springs to rub against the mounting bolts. It's not a pretty sound. I removed one spring and in its relaxed state it is badly curved. The spring is fairly rusty.

Here's my question. Currently my springs have an outside diameter of 1.68in. and have 60-61 coils. I don't know if they are original. After checking HWH's website the closest spring to that size is a R3847. I called HWH and they said the proper spring for my 12,000b jack model AP29904 is a R34692. That spring has a diameter of 2in. and 55 coils. Do you all have 2" or 1.68in. diameter springs. Just trying to figure if WRV installed a 1.68in. diameter spring and if so why.

I am going to take my jack feet off and bend the tabs back out. Since new springs are radially .16in. bigger I think I will bend them back past perpendicular to insure the springs clear the mounting bolts. I will then weld a gusset in place to keep them there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Hi Rick

You should see a model number on the jack body (I'm surprised HWH didn't ask for it) . With that number you can go on their website or call and get the part number for the correct springs. Do that before you start bending stuff.

Geoff

Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Geoff, I did do that. The model number on the jack is AP29904 and HWH says I need spring R34692 which is a larger diameter spring than what is on the jack now. As for bending the tabs they at least have to be bent back to straight up and down like they were when they were new. Just curious what diameter your springs are.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

Hi Rick

I don't know for sure what diameter my springs are but they are definitely not 2" probably more like your 1.68. My Alpine is 38 ft and I would say the 2" springs are for something that is closer to 40000 lbs. You could PM Azpete and ask him his opinion. If you are going to the Desert Rat Rally he will probably be there.

Geoff
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

Thanks Geoff, wish I could make the ralley.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

Rick,

Sorry, no answer for your spring diameter question, but a hint on how to easily (i.e. no muscle) remove the old ones/install the new ones.

Extend the jacks. Install spacers between the coils-- washers, pieces of wood (a couple of paint sticks cut into pieces make great "custom tools". Stow jacks-- the spacers will allow the springs to be easily removed.

Do the same with the new springs. Bend them one way, install a spacer. Bend the other way and install one the next coil up. Repeat until the spring is long enough to attach. Extend the jack and removed the spacers (or they may just fall out.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #7

Brett I had the spacer thing figured out but was wondering how I would stretch the new spring. Bending the spring sounds way to easy. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #8

Rick, I replaced mine with the 2" models, No problem. Welding the gusset would be fine, depending on how much they have been bent. The spring pressure is not that great, it is only to retract the cylinder from ground contact to fully retracted in the cylinder. You might not need the gussets? Good Luck, Ken
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #9

Ken - I just finished the job this weekend. I did use the 2" diameter springs. I could not make them fit on the driver side rear jack. The lower radiator pipe is in the way. I had to use the smaller diameter springs on that jack.

I did mod the jack feet. I welded a tab on each side to put more distance between the springs. As you can see in the picture the spring does clear the bolts on the jack bracket.

The total retract time is now one minute 15 seconds. That is a big improvement over the old springs. Interestingly the jack with the smaller diameter springs was the last jack up but only by five seconds.

Now it is time to address that air dam on the back of the coach. It is loose. There is always something that needs attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160124_092330.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	117358   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160124_090016.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	117359  

Old 01-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #10

Rick Good looking job. Now it is time to pull the welder up to the Air dam and fix it.
Or maybe do some Fiberglasing? Ken