Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Jacks won't come down, 2006 Apex 40

Just traded for this coach, working thru problems... everything works through Silverleaf, and jacks will not activate, nor will slides, although slides can be extended by secondary controls in pump compartment.
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

Hate to ask the obvious, but are you trying to do both with the key in the auxiliary position? The other thing I do is switch pumps in the HWH compartment monthly to keep them both in good working order.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

Does engine have to be running to operate jacks on that model?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club

Also make sure your coach battery disconnect is in the "on" position. I found out the hard way😱 If that is not the problem go to the HWH control panel and make sure none of the wires are broken (common issue with WRV with the slide drawer).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #5

At one time my Jacks and slides would not funtion.
What I found was the ground wire on the back of parking brake switch had come off its post.
The system needs to see that the parking brake is set.
That was my problem, I hope you find yours.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
First what I do is not use the TV set to level the coach, I can never get it to work. I use the control panel on the dashboard, with the coach plugged into shore power first, since some have reported burning out a diode on the HWH mother board just using the batteries. There is a momentary 105+amp DC draw when the pump starts and the batteries cannot seem to get there in the few milliseconds it takes for it to spool up. Having the coach plugged in removes this problem. Then it should work fine. I can sometimes store the jacks using the TV, but the ignition switch has to be in acc position.

Hope this helps.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Thanks for your input..have tried all suggestions, but no joy. All functions route thru silverleaf, and (this could be source of problems) the silverleaf will not come on when key is in Aux. position; only comes on in Ign. position. But, all other functions work except for jacks and room slides. I get room slides to work from outside controls in pump compartment. Primary position on pump switch does not work when attempting drawer extension, or room extension. Aux. switch position works. But when using the momentary switch, (as a test only) I get pump action in primary as well as aux., so I'm guessing that the primary pump is OK, just not getting a signal in the proper way. But since all action routes thru silverleaf, ... well, this is way above my pay grade. Dudley
Old 05-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, try this. Go into the tank bay, assuming 3 slide coach, passenger side, door behind mid entry door if this is your model, if not your model, then find the outside temp sensor, usually a hole in the tank bay area, with a couple of wires coming up into a "D" shaped connector (like hard disk drives used to use for power if you every built computer). Disconnect this temp sensor, turn off master switches for 1 minute or so, ensuring the inverter in NOT enabled. This should clear any errors the Silverleaf is experiencing, and now with the ignition switch on, the dashboard display should come on, and full function should be restored.

Create a signature file on this forum, listing the last 5 digits of the VIN, and the model of your coach and year, use mine as an example. This way we don't make assumptions on your coach nor with the advice you receive. NOTE: Other brands of motorhomes are different than alpines and especially APEX's, take any advice you receive from SOB's (some other brand) owners with a grain of salt, as most of the time, their advice will not help you and you could damage your motorhome. FWIW-Manual on APEX says, level coach, then put out the slides, doing it any other way, could put a slide out in such a way as to pinch it in its opening and cause it to jam, preventing you from getting it back in. Hope this helps, search posts on temp sensor replacement, would be my post from about 2008 I think.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:33 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Are you getting any notice from the silverleaf screen? Like (no TM102) Without TM102 most house functions like jacks, slides, pump and water fill will not work.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #10

Monty, the only temp sensor I saw, was on the streetside,and it controlled the heater fan coil for bsmt. The coach we bought, has the automatic waste valve and dump hose system installed, and there are wires and connections all over the place with no thought of clear workman-like routing. It's like a explosion in a spagetti factory! And I didn't see any sort of temp sensor over there. I have reset the VMM several times to no avail. I did see a 12V fuse block in there though, but none of those fuses had anything to do with the HWH, on Silverleaf. Our coach is an '06 Apex 40MDTS, vin#75627, replacing our previous '07 36FDDS, vin#75751.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Dudley,

The tank bay temp sensor is a known issue with Silverleaf on the 06 Apex. When moisture attacks the sensor causing it to fail, it also causes a panic in the Silverleaf system that effects the HWH. While standing facing the tank bay with the door open, the TM102 should be on the left, above the tanks, either attached to the left bulkhead, or laying on top of the tanks (mine was). It is the black box pictured in the attachment. Locate the phone jack marked "THERM" and unplug the wire from that jack. Once it's unplugged, try rebooting the system and try the HWH again. Question, take a peek at the HWH console and see if the red lamp is lit. If so, try pressing the reset button and see if that clears any faults that may be present. Let us know if this helps. The second photo is of the tank bay therm sensor. I put it in a plastic bag and zip tied it to keep moisture away. The third view is of the outdoor temp sensor (black wire going into the floor with a dab of silicone around it). This is most likely the one that has failed.

Side note: Someone monkeyed with our HWH so that when the switch was on PRIMARY, it sent power to both pump motors and when on SECONDARY it ran the primary. When the primary pump motor failed, the only way I could bring the slides in was to hold the manual switch open to operate the pump motor and then press the switch for the slide I wanted to retract. That was the only way I could get the slides in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	127130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3213.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	127131  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	127132  
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Thanks for your post, Janet & Tod, your post was a little more explicit, and I found the Silverleaf box and the sensor, which by the way, someone in the past had already unplugged. So, just for grins, I plugged it back in, and that seemed to have no effect on the Silverleaf one way or the other. The reset button was unlit, so OK there... all of the other features that are controlled by the Silverleaf work. Just room slides and jacks fail to operate from inside. (Sildes work from outside buttons.) Thanks again, Dudley,(Dudley do-Right)
2006Apex 40MDTS
Old 05-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Maybe the next step would be a call to Silverleaf or HWH?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Also, have you downloaded the "service manual" from the ACA website? There is good info there.

Tags
jacks