Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

We have a 34' 2005 Alpine Limited with the 400 HP and two stage jake brake.The brake only operates in one mode.We contacted Mark at WRV and I cannot read or clearly see the instructions he e-mailed.Can anyone supply us with the info we need to take to the Cummins shop for the repair. Dan e-mail wd8mdf@aol.com
dan&donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #2

We have a 34' 2005 Alpine Limited with the 400 HP and two stage jake brake.The brake only operates in one mode.We contacted Mark at WRV and I cannot read or clearly see the instructions he e-mailed.Can anyone supply us with the info we need to take to the Cummins shop for the repair. Dan e-mail wd8mdf@aol.com
dan&donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Dan & Donna, we have the identical coach and the only thing I can tell you is the up position is low and the down position is high. Middle position is off. Let me see if I can find the instructions that came with our coach. I will be glad to e mail them to you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #4

Dan-
Don't know if you have the same problem as on our 08, but they can check this out real fast if looking specifically for it:
Our coach came w/zero Jake stages working for its first 850 miles or so. Problem was isolated to a 30 pin plug, IIRC to the Engine Computer Module. The is a weather-tight plug assembly meaning the kit comes w/the plug body & pins, and the OEM assembles it. The pins, once soldered or crimped to their respective wires, have to be pushed home into the plug body to be fully assembled. On mine, 3 were not. They looked like they were fully in, but when the plug was mated to the ECM the 3 pins backed out & the Jake was not getting signal from the ECM to engage.
All they had to do to correct the problem was push the pins in till they snapped into place, then re-insert the plug to ECM. Should be a minimum shop charge if that is it. Finding a problem like that, if you don't know to look: Priceless!!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Dan & Donna
My 34' 2005 was not progammed by WRV when built for the High/Low switch and only High was used. Mike Young of Cummins Northwest had a list of those coaches that needed to have the High/Low programmed. He programmed mine at the Desert Rat Rally in 2005 but the program did not take. After futher discussions with WRV, Mike determined that there was a problem with the connection in OEM plug on the firewall. (See EngineerMike post). Mike was able to push the pin for the brake through the firewall to make connection.

The brake needs the High/Low program and the pins need to connect. Hope this will help.
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #6

Cummins reprogrammed mine also at Quartzsite, Only had 1 stage working, What a difference it made.
alpinerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
On my 05 36' I only had low brake from the factory. A Cummins dealer was going to reprogram but found a loose fitting back on the engine. All they did was wiggle the wire fitting and I have had hi/low at all times since then.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote