Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #1

I just purchased a 2005 34' Alpine and need some help with the operation of the Jake brake. Is there a "Coast" or "Latch" mode on the Alpine Jake Brake? On my privious unit the Jake Brake was not activated until I tapped the service brakes, and then it "latched" and remained on until I tapped the accelerator. Therefore the time between taking my foot off the accelerator and tapping the service brake I was in "Coast" mode which helps with the fuel mileage. If the Alpine has this mode, I haven't figured out how to get into it. It appears that when the Jake brake is "On", it activates as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator and deactivates when I put it back on, with no "coast" in between.
Bill Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #2

I just purchased a 2005 34' Alpine and need some help with the operation of the Jake brake. Is there a "Coast" or "Latch" mode on the Alpine Jake Brake? On my privious unit the Jake Brake was not activated until I tapped the service brakes, and then it "latched" and remained on until I tapped the accelerator. Therefore the time between taking my foot off the accelerator and tapping the service brake I was in "Coast" mode which helps with the fuel mileage. If the Alpine has this mode, I haven't figured out how to get into it. It appears that when the Jake brake is "On", it activates as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator and deactivates when I put it back on, with no "coast" in between.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #3

BZ........You should have a switch for Jake Brake on left side of dash that is marked HI and Low. That switch is for activating Jake brake (Two Stage). With switch in center position Jake is not activated. You can do search on this site for further Jake info. Hope this helps.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. When I use the HI/LOW switch, it apears the Jake brake activates as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator and deactivates when I put it back on. My question: Is this the way it is suppose to work, with no way to "coast" without setting the HI/LOW switch to the center position?
Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #5

BZ.....That's correct, you must be in center position to be able to coast without "Jake" activating.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #6

The Jake Brake will also not operate when the cruise control is in operation.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
When I want to coast, I switch the brake off but keep my finger on the switch until I turn it back on. It keeps me from being surprized . You can also keep very light pressure on the throttle .
Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #8

BZ:

Another easy fix is to take the coach to your local Allison service facility ( one that has a computer hook-up to the ECM ), and they can program the down-shifting not to happen. Much easier driving on the freeway, not having to re-gain the RPM's lost after taking you foot off the pedal each time.

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Ahh Walt, I forgot about that .

When we bought ours, it downshifted to 4th when lifting the throttle, and the exhaust brake always came on strong around 55mph. Made driving in traffic a pain. Changed that to 5th gear at N/C with a tranny service . Now lifting the throttle sends the tranny to 5th for less braking. If I need more I can always punch a lower gear.