Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Jake Brake wiring

I have a 2004 with the 2 stage jake brake. It is not working at all. When I have the switch on it does make the transmission shift to 4th gear like it's going to apply the jake - but nothing happens in either high or low. I've been looking for information on the wiring without any luck. Where are the solenoid valves located? Where would the relays be located? A wiring schematic would be wonderful. I went to the Alpine library and found a drawing for the exhaust brake but nothing on the jake.

Thanks, Tim

Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

It would appear that the switch is working , because the transmission controller is reacting.
If this is a true, two stage engine brake , there could be a communication problem between the switch and the engine controller; Cummins ? ISC ?; the rest of the engine brake actuation takes place under the valve cover. That's where the solenoids are located on Cummins engines.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
It's an ISL.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper64060 View Post
It's an ISL.
Sorry for the question , I skimmed right over your signature line .

First thing would be to scan the Cummins ECM for any codes pertaining to engine brake operation. Because the codes don't necessarily involve engine performance/ safe operation, they might not turn on the CEL.
If at a shop they could check that the ECM is seeing a signal to begin engine brake operation from the dash switch.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Fixed it! Traced out all the wiring and the plug was not on the pass through on the head. From the looks of it they had not been connected for a very long time - maybe never. The connectors were wedged between the injector lines. I cleaned everything up and hooked up - works awesome. Talked to the previous owner and he does not know much at all about Jake brakes. Sounds like they never were working. Terrible to get to - my shirt is probably history.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #6

Great that you got it fixed, your shirt will be cheaper than a trip through a shop.
Sorry should have mentioned to check the wiring to the cylinder head.

If the engine brake has never operated, there is a possibility that the coach brakes may have been used excessively, have a good look at the amount of brake lining remaining.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
What prompted me to chase this down wasna trip over Red Mountain pass. You really need a Jake brake for that.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #8

I use my gear selector all the time. Save the brakes for when you need them.
Glad you found the "simple" fix.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I use the gear selector as well. Without a Jake it was not very effective. If your RPM's get up far enough the trans will shift no matter what you have the selector in to avoid engine over-rev. It will also not down shift if you can't slow down enough. As a result you use the brakes way too much without a Jake. It was one of those trips where you don't tell the wife what is going on until you are safe at camp. 8-(
Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper64060 View Post
It was one of those trips where you don't tell the wife what is going on until you are safe at camp. 8-(

Been there , done that . Not really rec-commended , to mention the problem at all.
My DW, was from an automotive family , her father and uncle both had garages; she knows a push rod from a con rod; and will jump all over me if she notices something wrong before I do. So in my case , it better be working right , before it leaves the yard.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #11

I have made a number of trips over Red Mountain Pass often pulling a trailer with several ATVs. I relied on the Jake brake and downshift to 3rd or even 2nd gear to keep the speed down for the tight turns.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #12

Alpines are like a box of chocolates- you never know what you are going to get.
I've been missing the 2004 m.y. Vansco Schematic for the Tech Library for since day 1. Just realized the schematic attached to my 2008 panel cover is conveniently from a 2004 rig and not a 2008! How handy.

So, for the good of the order, and based on guesses from that schematic, here is how the 2004 Jake Brake is wired:
1. Jake switch inputs on rear VMM in battery box, lighting LED7 (i.e. wire runs front to rear, switch grounds at dash to signal "ENABLE"). I'm guessing this is an "enable" signal only, since JBrake activation also takes a service brake signal
2. W/service brake signal from brake pedal + enable signal from switch, rear VMM lights output LED5 & its corresponding output wire to ECM's "OEM" I/O connector to engage JBrake. (ECU has two large wiring connectors, the "OEM" assembled by vehicle mfgr and the "Cummins" wire connector that goes exclusively to stuff on the engine)
3. ECM manages JBrake actuation based on its programming which includes output to the Allison's TCU; trans has programming for which gear to "seek" on downshifts which works w/JBrake to determine level of retarding to apply.
4. when all programming agrees to call for retarding, ECU's Cummins plug sends 12V signal to a two-prong Packard connector that runs to near upper rear end of engine by "valve cover" and to about the middle of the valve cover/head seam; one each of the 2 wires from that Packard connector enter a cutout in the cover/head seam to send 12V to the Jake engage solenoids.

With EngineOFF you can test these 2 solenoids to hear if they "click" on by applying 12V to either wire. One wire controls front 3 cylinders retarding, other controls rear 3 cylinders. Low Jake engages the same 3 cylinders, Hi Jake engages all 6.

What the above does not explain is how to get 2 stages. Programming schematic (see below) may have been for an ISC engine w/single stage (Pac) brake.

On Actia Gauge rigs, 2005 & later, the logic is different: JBrake switch Hi & Lo signals run from switch, thru large round aircraft thru-bulkhead connectors (pins 27 & 29 for Lo & Hi respectively) to the ECU's OEM plug pins 18 & 8 respectively. Wires are labeled EBRK50 (for 50% or Lo) and EBRK100 (for 100% or Hi). Mo simpler. Could be the above logic is for PacBrake only and the 2-stage on an '04 works more like this '05 logic. You'll have to check.

If you have an 04 model year rig, remove the kick panel in front of passenger's feet & you should have a copy of the VMM programming pasted to the inside of the panel, maybe. You never know what you are going to get. If you get a schematic dated '03 and its different than this one, email me a photo of yours please.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004 VMM-PDM I-O Schematic.pdf (871.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
On my '04, I think it is as the '05 logic you describe. I traced those wires all the way to the back based on the wire numbers. Found the ABS controller behind the rear battery box - only visible by crawling under the rig: other info I had indicated it was up high in the left corner of the dash area but that is not where I found it. If I remember I'll pull that cover off and look for the schematic. I just had it off installing a scangauge, color back up camera, and stereo - did not see it then.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I had the access panel off to look at the vansco and no papers on the inside. I was looking at output 6 - driving lights. I replaced the lights and they were both blinking on and off. As soon as I popped the panel off they stopped and stayed on as normal. I went HID so less current so I'm not sure what happened.

Tags
brake, wiring