Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Jeep major problem

We towed our 2010 Jeep Commander to San Diego for the xmas holidays. Had it serviced and they addressed service recall n-23. When we were ready to leave in a month I had the family in the coach and was hooking up the Jeep. I found that I could not get the trans in neutral. "Check 4 wh. drive" was the message. I disconnected and went back to the dealer and was told that the "actuator" was bad and that Jeep was 1600 units behind and it could be as long as 4-5 months before they would receive any. What a trap I was in.
We left with Debi following me back home to northern Arizona on a 2 day trip. Our local shop said they had no idea when they would get any. I traded in the Jeep for a 2014 Dodge Ram which we could tow 4-down. This recall covers 2004-2010 jeep.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

You need to search for this on the forum, it's been discussed ad nauseum. You should not have performed the recall (I have not on mine). It causes the exact problem you describe. I've even heard stories of people searching wrecking yards for Commander transfer cases that have NOT had the recall as there is no way to back the update off.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Check out this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...al-186935.html
There is a solution to your problem.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Check out this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep-...al-186935.html
There is a solution to your problem.
Sounds like he found a different solution - traded it in on another vehicle.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris cross View Post
We towed our 2010 Jeep Commander to San Diego for the xmas holidays. Had it serviced and they addressed service recall n-23. When we were ready to leave in a month I had the family in the coach and was hooking up the Jeep. I found that I could not get the trans in neutral. "Check 4 wh. drive" was the message. I disconnected and went back to the dealer and was told that the "actuator" was bad and that Jeep was 1600 units behind and it could be as long as 4-5 months before they would receive any. What a trap I was in.
We left with Debi following me back home to northern Arizona on a 2 day trip. Our local shop said they had no idea when they would get any. I traded in the Jeep for a 2014 Dodge Ram which we could tow 4-down. This recall covers 2004-2010 jeep.
Take it back and have them reflash it back to what you had.That recall flash has left a lot of folks with out 4Low and neutral.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Chris,

All you had to do was check my post from a few months ago that is referenced above. Just follow the fuse pull instructions on post #35.

Feel sorry for you wife having to follow you for two days.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Speaking about Jeep's with issues. Two come to mind for 2012 - 2014 Wrangler, challerger, charger, and Grand Cherockee owners with the new 3.6L engine. Have the dealer check into Case S1309000016. Chrysler initial production of this engine has/had bad rocker arms and lifters in the head. The bearing pins will fall out and the upper end will start to really rattle, especially when cold (mine has the problem and they changed the lifters once already because I had a valve tick all the time), it's under warranty and assume they will also fix ones out of warranty. I found out about this when in Texas, and they were like 1186 kits out and I would have had to wait two months, they said it's ok to drive so I am getting it fixed when I get home.

OAN-If you are in a high static electricity zone, when you touch the vehicle you can cause the horn switch to go bonkers and it will start to sound when you unlock the vehicle and go off for a couple of minutes, a friend had this problem in Yuma, they replaced the switch and add some new grounds to keep it from happening again.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The can not put Transfer case in neutral after recall is the subject of many threads here, Jeep broke it, make them fix it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The can not put Transfer case in neutral after recall is the subject of many threads here, Jeep broke it, make them fix it.
Jeep has not even admitted that in their attempt to fix a safety issue by a work around by re flashing the final drive module (N23 recall) they have created another issue. Jeep has a problem here but all you hear from them is crickets.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #10

We have an '08 Liberty, apparently not affected by the recall; lucky I guess. I'm surprised that Chrysler is stonewalling this issue in light of what's going on over at Government Motors. I would think all the automakers would be running scared these days, and doing everything possible to keep the customers safe and happy. Apparently not so for Chrysler on this issue...
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

I'm really angry about this . I just came across this thread tonight and ran out to the Commander and found it will not go into neutral. Had the N23 recall done last oct. after putting the MH to bed for the season. I'm calling the dealer in the morning and also Chrysler/jeep . Everyone with this issue should call 1-800-465-2001 and let them know ,that you know it was their recall that caused this problem and it should be them to correct it!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #12

This is why I have ignored every sternly worded letter I've received from Jeep regarding this recall on my 2006 Commander.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
I'm really angry about this . I just came across this thread tonight and ran out to the Commander and found it will not go into neutral. Had the N23 recall done last oct. after putting the MH to bed for the season. I'm calling the dealer in the morning and also Chrysler/jeep . Everyone with this issue should call 1-800-465-2001 and let them know ,that you know it was their recall that caused this problem and it should be them to correct it!
Jeepfreak,

Don't rely on Jeep to get this fixed before you want to tow your Commander. Find your FDCM (control module for the transfer case, on a Grand Cherokee it is under the back seat) and get the part number off of it (will be a 199A_ or a 129A_). Go to your local junk yard and have them find another FDCM from a wreck that did not have N23 done. Make sure the letter after the 'A' in the part number is the same or later than the one you have (I have a 129AM. 129AJ did not work but 129AN did work). Pop the wreck FDCM in and you'll be towing like before!

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Chris,

All you had to do was check my post from a few months ago that is referenced above. Just follow the fuse pull instructions on post #35.

Feel sorry for you wife having to follow you for two days.
This will only temporally clear the code.I've used that and was able to place the transfer case in neutral then two weeks later the service 4wd system alert was back. The pull fuse #33 on my 2008 overland will get you by in an emergency but is not a fix.