Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

At the Desert Rat Rally I went to the "Big Tent" and someone there was selling a "washable air filter" like K&N that will fit the Alpine Coach. Does anyone know where to buy one, how much? Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 04:15 PM   #2

At the Desert Rat Rally I went to the "Big Tent" and someone there was selling a "washable air filter" like K&N that will fit the Alpine Coach. Does anyone know where to buy one, how much? Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #3

Hey RoyBoy

Glad to see you join. We always welcome new members with your level of RV experience. Will you two be in Minot?

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #4

Years ago, I adapted a "generic" K&N to work on a Safari/Isuzu Trek. AT the time, I was told it was one of the largest conical filters they made.

Don't have my Alpine yet, so I don't know the air cleaner dimensions. But, if you do, this link should take you to a look-up-by-dimension for their filters:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ2.aspx?ID=S0012
Old 08-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #5

TheDieselPage.com did a couple of detailed air filter tests by both disassembling filters to ascertain the filtering content, and doing actual dirty-air-passage/dirty-filter-weighing bench tests. The K&N filters didn't trap dirt as efficiently as the paper units. You can also do a light-bulb inspection of the K&N filters and see the large holes vs any paper filter. For gas rigs, the passage of more dirt isn't as critical as it is for diesel w/the higher compression (diesel runs @ ~2X the compression of gasoline, 18 to 21:1 vs. 8.5 to 10:1 for gas). W/higher compression the dirt element causes cylinder scoring much faster. This was all in regard to the GM 6.2/6.5L diesels, but air filtration & the diesel cycle are pretty portable topics across engine families, IMO.
I'll be sticking w/paper filters for the Alpine. And this from a guy who monkeyed w/his 6.5 Safari Trek quite a bit. And I even bought an oiled-cone-type aftermarket unit w/150% of the breathing area of the OEM filter, but didn't install it after my further cogitation. The amount of advantage to be gained vs. the risk of premature engine wear wasn't worth the calories burned, IMO.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #6

I sure feel dumb posting this. I know where the air filter is. Is it user friendly? Mike, what and where are the paper filters you are refering to?
400 ISL
Thanks to everyone.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #7

In the service bay @ RR of coach, there is a round air filter cover. Inside (I've never actually looked inside, so I'm ASSuming) there is a cylindrical paper filter. You also have an air filter plug meter, rumoredly showing amount the filter is plugged.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,
I see Mike just posted a note to you about the filter. He is correct it's in the right rear bay, just unscrew the lid and the filter is located behind it. Without looking again, I can't remember if there is another nut that hold it in place or not. The filter is like most air filters, made out of metal mesh with paper filter material on in side. I think WRV has used the same filter for a long time, my 2001 takes a AF25549 Fleet Guard about $60.00 wholesale from a fleet guard dealer (mine came from Kenworth). I don't know how good those air filter meters are (located in the same bay) so I change mine by miles. Remember if your on dusty roads you need to change more often. Also as regular maintenace I pull the filter out and inspect with a light and then blow out with an air hose. I also put a rag in the inlet side of the filter housing (going to the motor) and then blow out the pipe from the filter housing to the outside grille. (Be sure you pull the rag back out or your in real trouble)
Hope some of this helps.
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 08-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know how good those air filter meters are </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Various manufacturers on various models have had "issues" w/the filter meter. Since the coach manufacturer taps for the meter tube, routes the meter tubing & secures the meter (they probably also buy it), kinks in the tubing or problems w/the tubing tap will negate the utility of the meter. Many new coach owners report their Spartan or Freightliner chassis' filter meter showing plugged or half-plugged right off the dealer's lot, w/this as one of their fix-its under warranty. Some do a creditable job @ meter installation, and I haven't seen anybody impugn Alpine's installation. But nothing is better than actual physical inspection to assure proper filtered airflow.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #10

I was told to be very carefull about using high pressure air nozzle to blow out the Filter, it can possibly rupture the paper element. I take my filter and hold it about 12 inches horizontally above the driveway or hard surface and drop it and continue to do this while rotating it. A large amount of crud will be removed. Then I blow it with a leaf blower. I replace it every couple years. I have never had a reading on the gauge.
Doug, K4FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:43 PM   #11

No, we are at the factory getting our slide topper fabric replaced. The old material is defective and separating. I saw 2 other 2004's here with the same problem. I put a post in the forum about it, Roy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danny Gayhart:
Hey RoyBoy

Glad to see you join. We always welcome new members with your level of RV experience. Will you two be in Minot?

Danny </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #12

What are anyone's thoughts about the rear rock guard contributing to excessive dirt being sucked into the air filter? I have noticed an alarming amount of dust developing at the rear as I go down gravel road, it seems to get trapped between the mud flaps and the rear rock guard. I am thinking of taking mine off.
gmfryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stretch:
I agree with Engineer Mike Completely. Here are a couple of additional thoughts
1. Filter mfgs do not recommend banging filters on the ground to shake out the dust. It can damage the plastisol used to bind the pleated filter paper to the metal end caps.
2. Manufacturers DO recommend washing their filters, with mild soap and water and then rinse well with a nozel on the end of a hose. Then just set the filter out in the sun to dry.
3. Just because a filter looks dirty does not mean it is plugged in any way. Most filters are designed to take quite a load of dust.
4. The only time you should change filters is when the gauge says to. And I'm betting that for most of our coaches, we are talking 50,000 or more miles. It is said that more dust is ingested into the engine at filter change time than at any other. That is because some dust falls off the filter element inside the canister during the change and usually is ignored by the mechanic This dust gets sucked into the engine on startup.
5. Nobody who know their stuff in the diesel engine business would ever use a oil wetted media filter like a K&N
Thirty years in the diesel engine filter business taught me most of this. Right on, Eng. Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #14

Well,

here's a seemingly credible ISO test on various filters, including the K&N:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

No question there's a compromise between breathing and filtering; it's a trade-off, question is how much.

Gains in power from K&Ns are measure-able. Quantifying losses in engine life from K&Ns are virtually un-reported and seem speculative. My experience with K&Ns with a wide range of gas engine applications has been to observe and enjoy improved performance with no incident of pre-mature engine failure.

Nonetheless, I don't think I'd choose one for the Alpine. Actually, I'd like to know what brand is supplied and compare it to the test. I'd lean towards better filtering for an Alpine application.