Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Kenwood am/fm receiver replacement

Our Kenwood KRC 509s radio been running the chasis batteries down due to the fact that it still draws between 1/2 amp and 1 1/3 amp even when fully shut down.
On top of that, the buttons and faceplate are extremely difficult to figure out when driving or for that matter, sitting in front of it with a good light and a magnifying glass.
Anyone else had issues with this setup and what would you recommend for a replacement?
Be nice if they still made a radio with strong AM reception. Not interested in Sirius/XM radio but would like to control the CD deck thru the radio as it is now setup.
Open to any recommendations
beagle

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AM Reception is more an effect of the antenna (You do not have what I'd call an AM antenna) than the radio but yes, the old radios did much better there.

Can not recommend a replacement, Can say this, the hole is now standard size for most radios, and thus most any will fit.. The electrical connectors may also be standarized.

www.cruthfield.com is the catalog to look at.. I won't say how good they are to buy from but their catalog is the place to browse.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #3

We replaced ours with a nice Pioneer unit that was pretty much plug and play. The new radio comes with a simple tool that releases the hold-down prongs on either side of the unit--makes it real easy to remove/replace. Didnt go with XM but did get a USB compatible unit-- allows you to convert all your CDs to digital thru your PC to an IPod. Had 18 year old at Best Buy explain how CDs were so "old school". Embarrassing but he was so right -- spouse has over 1200 songs on IPod and all can be controlled thru the remote card that comes with the radio--no more reaching for the radio controls. Hands-free cell phone is also an option on this radio.

PS--AM reception also impacted by yr inverter, especially if you have the old mod-synwave and the old 12 volt surround sound unit like we have on our 03....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
We replaced ours with a nice Pioneer unit that was pretty much plug and play. The new radio comes with a simple tool that releases the hold-down prongs on either side of the unit--makes it real easy to remove/replace. Didnt go with XM but did get a USB compatible unit-- allows you to convert all your CDs to digital thru your PC to an IPod. Had 18 year old at Best Buy explain how CDs were so "old school". Embarrassing but he was so right -- spouse has over 1200 songs on IPod and all can be controlled thru the remote card that comes with the radio--no more reaching for the radio controls. Hands-free cell phone is also an option on this radio.

PS--AM reception also impacted by yr inverter, especially if you have the old mod-synwave and the old 12 volt surround sound unit like we have on our 03....
Some points here 'Old Scout', that are good.
Remote will take care of the difficult location and small symbols. MP3 files capability with USB on the face will be convenient also. Prices on these units sure fall off fast, as the latest technology keeps changing.
beagle
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

What's the model number on that Pioneer?? Like the idea of loading up the iPod with the 100 cd's I carry on board.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club

I just recently replaced the headunit that also played cassette tapes (cassette tapes? What the hell are they ?!?!) with this particular unit.

It's plug and play, but the folks at Fleetwood did me the pleasure of attaching a metal strap to the back of the old unit, without my knowledge. So here I am yanking and pulling, after I placed that special tool. Pretty much destroyed it, but luckily, the dash was strong enough for my gorilla tactics. I had to unscrew the main gauges (speedo, fuel, etc.) to access the metal strap.

So if you're having problems taking the old one out, you now know what to do.

Anyway, that SONY not only can play CDs, but also has a front USB port that you can hook up an iPod. Best thing since sliced bread. I can also change the faceplate color from blue to green, but blue matches the color of my rig.

I only paid a little over $100, so it was definitely a win/win for me.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I installed a Kenwood BT-900. It is a single DIN size so I made a box to fit under it for sunglasses, etc. The 2007 has no up front storage. The best part is the USB port. You don't need an Ipod or any MP3 player. The BT-900 comes with a program that builds an index of all your music on your PC and copies it to a thumb drive. You control the playback from the unit and it displays title, box art, etc. on its full video screen.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I have thinking of changing the Radio and I have been looking at the SercetAudio SST which the receiver/amplifier unit can be hidden out of sight and can be operated by a remote control. The receiver/amplifier unit plugs into a bezel which can be mounted up to ten feet away from the receiver/amplifier unit.

The SercetAudio SST Features: http://www.customautosound.com/

AM/FM Stereo 200 watts 4x50
RF Remote Control (radio frequency no line of sight required, up to 40' range)
USB MP3/WMA Flash Drive Player
iPod® Direct Control Interface (built into tuner/amp unit) 7' iPod Docking Cable Included
Alpha Numeric LCD Display Shows Artist / Song Titles for USB, iPod® and Satellite Radio
Satellite Radio Input (for optional Sirius® satellite radio tuner)
Direct CD Changer Control (6 CD changer optional)
Auxiliary Audio Input
4 Channel 3 Volt RCA Pre-Outs (for optional Amplifiers)
Subwoofer Pre-Out (for optional Subwoofer Amplifier)
Electronic Volume, Bass, Treble, Balance, Fader
5 Selectable iEQ Curves – pop/jazz/classic/beat/rock
Zero Memory Current Draw (will not drain car battery when unit not in use)
24 Station pre-sets (18FM / 6AM)
10 Foot Cable from LCD Control Panel to Black Box (tuner/amp unit)
Power Antenna 12V Trigger Lead
Blue LED Illumination on Buttons and LCD Display with Contrast Control
LCD Flush Mount Trim Bezel Included
LCD Swivel Mount Bracket Included

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement