Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

King Controls Electronic Throttle system- Help

New owner of 1998 36FDS.
Spent the first 2 days replacing the 8d house battery, repairing and lubing the entry step, and replacing the 2 hydraulic lines between the rams of the engine door; both of which leaked at the crimped fittings.

Discovered an intermittent issue with the Klng Electronic Throttle System that we can't figure out. Engine starts and idles properly but some times depressing the foot pedal does not increase RPM above idle. Other times it works as it should.

At the times when there is no throttle response the transmission will not shift from neutral.

Where is the throttle actuator unit located and how do I identify it?

An additional issue is that the speedo and tach don't always register correct speed and RPM.

All trouble shooting suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:57 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Check the chassis batteries for good contact first. I just went through this. I pulled the control unit and sent it in for testing, nothing wrong. Took the coach to an Allison repair facility and they found really loose connections. This was weird as I had recently tightened them up. On coaches with the ISC engine, there can be an issue between the cruise, the transmission and the Pac-brake. Since mine is a "mechanical" engine like yours, there is no way the Pac-brake could be involved.
An additional thing to check for is when you start the engine and the throttle is non-responsive do you have a * type thing showing in the transmission selector display? This could be an indication that the transmission is not receiving a signal.
I am without my paperwork now but expect to have it by next Monday. Check these things and let us know. Also, the coach originally came with information on the Cruise Control with diagnostic procedures, if you do not have that, it should be available on the ACA Tech website.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

Here is the guru on the King Control throttle:

King Control. Steve Boler. 22250 Glyview Trail, Faribault MN 55021, 507-334-0250 try this number first 952 944-9644 (first number is a decade old and may not be correct-- second is only a couple of years old).

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 01-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #4

King controler ????

Can someone plz tell me where this controller is, I cannot seem to find it and have no paperwork showing where it is on my unit
Old 01-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
Where is the throttle actuator unit located and how do I identify it?
Mine is attached to the bottom side of the throttle pedal.

Electronic Accelerator Pedal

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Here is a link to "throttle diagnostics" on King Control's Website: 2600 Series Diagnostics

Brett
Old 01-16-2016, 10:44 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Open the hatch over the bed. The unit is to your left, as you stand at the foot of the bed. It is a rectangular box, bolted to the frame rail. There is a cable that runs out of the box that attaches to the throttle.