Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, where to start. First do not have subscribed Direct TV service, and don't want to start that service until we are retired so it will get used enough. Tech told me I would still lock onto a satalite however, and the direct TV machine would download data, and then tell me I am not subscribed.

Turn this thing on, and hold down the switch for the 3 seconds and it goes into search mode, it never finds the satalite. The Direct TV receiver is on, TV on, Audio System on, and display on tv Showes Direct TV logo, so I think the connections are correct.

The disk keeps searching and searching and searching, but never locks on to any signal. And before you ask, I am aware of clear line of site to the south, and the azmuth, etc. I am going to call the tech support people, but thought with all the experts here, I might get the secret tip, to keep form spending time in a hold queue. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, where to start. First do not have subscribed Direct TV service, and don't want to start that service until we are retired so it will get used enough. Tech told me I would still lock onto a satalite however, and the direct TV machine would download data, and then tell me I am not subscribed.

Turn this thing on, and hold down the switch for the 3 seconds and it goes into search mode, it never finds the satalite. The Direct TV receiver is on, TV on, Audio System on, and display on tv Showes Direct TV logo, so I think the connections are correct.

The disk keeps searching and searching and searching, but never locks on to any signal. And before you ask, I am aware of clear line of site to the south, and the azmuth, etc. I am going to call the tech support people, but thought with all the experts here, I might get the secret tip, to keep form spending time in a hold queue. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
If no satellites are being found at all, I wonder if you have the correct coax (from the King Dome) connected to the receiver. I seem to remember that the King Dome will not find any satellites unless connected to a sat receiver.

The King Dome should find multiple locations of satellites. The correct one is determined by going into the "Setup" menu on the receiver and going to the "Test Satellite Signal Strength" option. If not locked to the correct satellite, press the "Search" button on the King Dome for 1 second to search for the next satellite.

Once locked to the correct satellite, you can always go to channel 100 or 200 and view a free satellite channel for a final confirmation of correct operation.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #4

The TV system in our 34' 05 could not be any more complicated.On ours the proper input must be selected and at this time you should be able to see your sat. receivers set-up.I wonder if the king dome in the search mode stops,when ours stops I must retsart by holding down on the top of the rocker switch till it finds the proper sat. Gud luck Dan wd8mdf@aol.com
Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #5

I once had the same problem, after successfully having DirectTV service I was unable to lock on to any satellite. I contacted Kingdome tech support and they walked me through several items. Mine turned out to be a loose "telephone" connector on the back of the "rocker switch" for the kingdome. They had me remove the switch, disconnect the "telephone connector" clean the contacts with an eraser and reconnect. Worked great after that. If you havent already found a solution you might try that. I found the people at Kingdome tech support to be VERY helpful.
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #6

All of the previous suggestions are good. If your cable and other connections are good, you might try our process.

On our 2006, if I don't get a satellite lock-up, I re-program the Kingdome (per the manual) to accelerate satellite lockup based on your latitude. There is a procedure in the manual for doing this, and I don't have it with me, (a real memory test)but it's something like this --

1. Press on/search and release; should have a flashing green or red light.

2. Press on/search and release quickly 16 times for a latitude in Washington State. (fewer times for latitudes more to the South as shown in manual)

3. Press on/ search and hold for a few seconds until an orange light appears and release.

4. Turn Kingdome off and restart search.

5. Put receiver into signal strength mode, select transponder #19 (works best for me)and make sure you have signal strength. If you have a signal strength, back out of signal strength mode and let the Receiver continue to acquire guide data, which should be for channel 100 or 200 if you don't have DTV signed up.

6. If all this fails, turn everything -- receiver, Kingdome, TV, amplifier off, and disconnect power (like disable inverter and throw the breaker on AC input) for at least 45-60 seconds. Then put power back on, punch the reset button on the DirectTV or whatever satellite receiver, and turn the remaining systems on. When the receiver starts looking for a satellite connection, start the search again with the Kingdome, and watch for a signal strength on transponder 19. If you have a signal, switch out of signal strength test and let the system continue to acquire the guide data and load up.

This process works for me everytime I have difficulty acquiring a satellite or making a connection between receiver and satellite. Maybe it will help you make a connection.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #7

Number 2. on Old Forester's post above is key to finding a satellite. You have to be on the proper azimuth (?) for your location's longitude. The King Dome manual shows the approximations.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello all thank you so much for all the suggestions, and I will attempt all of them the next time we have it out. Tomorrow it's going to Cummings for two engine recalls, pick up on Friday, and might try it while it's in front of the house then. So I printing off all these and keeping them handy. I will let you know the results. There are two/three "A/B switches" in the compartment where the Kingdome is located. The Tech, who showed us the coach, went very fast, and I don't remember which one is for what, the Columbus method works for me in a pinch.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #9

OldForester instructions work for me but occasionally after KD searches for awhile it settles down and displays two steady green lights indicating it has locked onto a signal but nothing shows up on the signal test screen. If I just operate the rocker switch briefly once it will start searching again and eventually finds another signal.
Sometimes a strong signal will only show up on the even numbered transponders, nothing on the odd numbers. Repeating the rocker switch brief operation again will start another search and eventually settle on a strong signal for all transponders. I normally use transponder 2 when the unit is searching and check the odd numbers when search is finished.
Also,8-12-16 are the operations for selecting azmiths. If your in South Tx or FL then it is 8 operations, in WA it may be 16, in between it may be 12 operations.
BTF
Old 05-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #10

Old R'er,

The King Dome is an automated system. Under installation and settings, you should be able to put in your location zip code. That tells the dome where to set the azimuth. If you have not got any indication on the signal strength meter, and it has been some time since you used the DTV system, you have to call DTV and have them ping the sattelite because it has forgotten you exist. Even under the best circumstances, it may take several searches to locate the signal. If you do a search on the topic, you will see my posts on how I "fixed" the complex WRV tv system.

sdcyclist
2006 36 FDDS TV systems de-bugged
Old 05-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #11

I had a King Dome problem several years ago. The dish found the correct satellite in Colorado but could not find it when we returned home in Central Texas. The satellite was now at a higher elevation. After checking all coax connections under the dome, I called tech support at King Dome. They concluded that the amplifier gain needed to be increased. They "sold" me their programer and talked me through the process to increase the KD amplifier gain which solved the problem. I then sent the programmer back to KD for credit. The dish finds the first sat signal which usually is not the correct one. I usually have the TV and sat receiver on and set to look at the "DTV Signal Meter" to determine the correct sat signal. Operating the Search button momemtarily or until the dish starts moving again starts its search for another signal. This process may have to be repeated several times depending on the change in north - south travel.

Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote