Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #1

We have a king mattress is the 2005 40FDTS that is a bit too firm for us. Has anyone replaced their mattress or added a topper? How would you get the old mattress out and the new one in?
Tossing and turning. Thanks.

2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #2

We have a king mattress is the 2005 40FDTS that is a bit too firm for us. Has anyone replaced their mattress or added a topper? How would you get the old mattress out and the new one in?
Tossing and turning. Thanks.

2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
Old 03-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We picked up a topper from Costco for our queen in our 05 36'. It really helped as we were used to sleeping on an air bed. It's like a memory foam and works great.

jerry and judy
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hello:

Donna and I replaced our mattress with a Select Air which is much better to sleep on because it is adjustable and a lot lighter. The old Queen went right out the front door. The Select Air was in 2 boxes real easy to get in.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:48 AM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from Corpus Christi, Texas

We replaced the mattress in our Apex with a Tempurpedic memory foam while still in the delivery center.Good decision. We both sleep better than we have in years.

Fivians have the Select Comfort Air mattress and also swear by it.

What ever mattress you choose, watch the thickness if you have two bedroom slides. Need 8". A technician at Action RV was telling us about a guy that put a too thick mattress in his coach, pulled in the slides and did all kinds of damage.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #6

We never got to find out how good, or bad, the OEM mattress was on our coach. We had our Select Comfort mattress installed in the coach before we took delivery! Thus, one more vote for the Select Comfort.

On a side note, if you do go with the Select Comfort, remember to let some air out of it if you will be going up in altitude. There was a story in one of the MH magazines where a guy was asking for reimbursement from Select Comfort since his burst due to altitude changes and he failed to reduce the air pressure in it.Since it uses air, PV still equals nRT.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. You folks who made the change during the build are smarter than I am.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to use a chain saw to get my old mattress out. I have heard stories of peoplehaving to have a slide removed to get a new bed in - no thanks.
Cheers, H
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
Old 03-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We have a select comfort at home. It is great. At one time Select Comfort made an RV mattress that would let air out before bursting. We bought a foam mattress from Costco of all places. It is also great. It is a queen that I put in the bedroom before opening the bag. I'm sure a king foam comes the same way. A select comfort king would go in with no problem. It comes unassembled

How to get the King out? I haven't a clue unless you can fold it in half and use tie-downs to hold it in half.