Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #1

This is a subject that has been discussed before but the weather has changed and so has my TV reception. I am wondering if many of you have similar problems. When setting up, I noted that the signal strength with the dome, and under ideal weather conditions, max'ed out at about 65% while at the same time, the remote dish was 90+%. I have previously sprayed the dome with the recommended coating. Today, it started raining (but not particularly hard) and I am loosing signal. Do all Kingdome (semi-automatic) owners loose signal in moderate rainy conditions? If you have had a similar problem, and have solved it, please share with me. I consulted a MotoSat dealer and he said that in my '06, I really don't have adequate room in the overheads to fit the new equipment required by the MotoSat without major renovations. He was also concerned with the dissapation of heat buildup generated by the receivers. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #2

This is a subject that has been discussed before but the weather has changed and so has my TV reception. I am wondering if many of you have similar problems. When setting up, I noted that the signal strength with the dome, and under ideal weather conditions, max'ed out at about 65% while at the same time, the remote dish was 90+%. I have previously sprayed the dome with the recommended coating. Today, it started raining (but not particularly hard) and I am loosing signal. Do all Kingdome (semi-automatic) owners loose signal in moderate rainy conditions? If you have had a similar problem, and have solved it, please share with me. I consulted a MotoSat dealer and he said that in my '06, I really don't have adequate room in the overheads to fit the new equipment required by the MotoSat without major renovations. He was also concerned with the dissapation of heat buildup generated by the receivers. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #3

I have a Kingdome also and its reception signal strength is about 80% of a dish that comes with the receiver. Heavy rain and clouds will attenuate the signal easier and there is nothing to do but tough it out. This problem is more prevalant the farther north you go.
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM   #4

Durring a heavy rain, the picture will break up and then go away until the rain lets up. I have heard of varius coatings for the dome
that may lessen this effect.
Kingdome sells their own product on their website.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #5

htg3, you are absolutely correct that Kingdome sells their own product. It is a 5 or 6 oz. spray can "which they say" you can get 3 sprays from, good luck . It does work, but we all paid a pretty good buck for this fancy satellite receiver and I think lots of letters to the manufacturer sure would mot hurt. If nothing else they could sure bring the price of the spray down so there receiver will function. I have had great success in writing letters and the more the better. Lets get together and let them know how we feel. With out us there is no Kingdome.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #6

I personally used the 1-time cloth. It helped a bit but my dome looks like my black golf hat after 18 holes on a hot, sultry day; white streaks all over!!!!I, too, cannot understand why the cost is so high. The first dealer I talked to wanted $15 for the one-time and $36 for the spray. They should probably should issue a supply with every unit or improve the efficiency of the unit. Perhaps WRV should take the lead and consider offering a unit that really works well; at least in the rainy northwest where they are located.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from Rockledge, FL,

I think the sprays & wipes for domes are to disapate the morning dew that breaks up your signal on damp mornings. I have had 2 WInegard dishes, a KVH dome amd now our Kingdome and big Data Storm dish. None of these units will work perfectly during a "toad strangler" rain storm.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 AM   #8

Lundy, heat dissipation with the MotoSAT Nomad2 controller should not be an issue. It only needs to be on to locate and stow the dish.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #9

I am guessing, but I think the theory is to get the rain to run off the dome more efficiently rather than having it bead up. A wax job would cause beading. I don't know what is in Kingdome's spray, but I am sure it is "dome friendly". I wonder if a product like "RainX" would work. Don't know what your dome would look like after you use it though. Just cleaning the dome with a detergent to get the wax off would probably help.
Does anyone know what the dome is made of? Some special material?
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #10

Basil, 1st off, what the H*** is a "toad strangler" rain storm? I boated for over 35 years and have never once heard that expression.
htg3, there is no question that they do not want the water to bead which eliminates using wax. I wondered about Rain-X also. Thought you could try and let us all know! One would hope that the dome is some special material but if it was would we be having this problem? Maybe that's what is special about it. A few years ago on one of those crazy TV commercials somebody was selling a wax that definitely did not bead. That was their big feature. Does anybody remember what it was?
I still think we should all lay it on KingDome who sells a product that you need to spray with a 5oz. can of stuff that cost $ 25.00. They should give us the receiver and then we could just buy the spray stuff. Kind of like the razor blade business.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Basil, 1st off, what the H*** is a "toad strangler" rain storm? I boated for over 35 years and have never once heard that expression. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would have to have lived down south from Houston east through Florida when it can rain so hard that it will be black as midnight at noon and the street lights will come on. 2-3 inches an hour, enough to "strangle a toad".
The country version is "raining like a cow _issing on a flat rock."
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #12

Basil, thank you
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #13

For those who really need to know, where I grew up in Oklahoma, a "toad strangler" was often called a "gully washer".

Dale
2006 Alpine Coach 36FDTS
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:26 PM   #14

I hate to interupt the dialog about toad washing, but I did a bit more research on the dome thing. I couldn't find anything on Kingdome as to what their dome is made of, but Winegard makes an RV dome/antenna which is made of "sturdy UV protected plastic". Wingard recommends a product called "Protectall" to help reduce the rain interferance.

You could probably use it on your toad as well, although you might hear from PETA.

2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad