Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Kitchen sink facet, tip of the day.

I am not the best DIY plumber but with all the basin wrenches I have, I could not get the nut loose to remove the kitchen faucet. So, I thought if I could find the right size sheet metal stamped socket thingy I could get this sucker out!

Well OSH did not have a socket big enough. While standing in the tool crib at OSH I explained my dilemma to one of the "Old Guys". He scratched his chin a bit and then said, follow me. He took me down to where the water heaters were and low and behold, there it was, the right size sheet metal socket I needed! It's made to change a part that fails on water heaters? That's what he said any way. So, there you go, tip of the day, for ease of water facet removal, by the tool mentioned above. No more leaks, had a crack in the hose for the pull out handle. I know I could have bought the hose but I was taught when working around the sink "replace all to the wall".
OK, what time are we going fishing?
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,

Do you have one of these? RIDGID 1017 Telescoping Basin Wrench - 31175 at The Home Depot

I use one for all of my faucet change outs. It might be a bit much if you are only doing it once, but it will fit all of the faucets that I have ever changed.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerstel View Post
Dan,

Do you have one of these? RIDGID 1017 Telescoping Basin Wrench - 31175 at The Home Depot

I use one for all of my faucet change outs. It might be a bit much if you are only doing it once, but it will fit all of the faucets that I have ever changed.
Dale,
I have two that are like the one you have. One looks about the same size and one a bit smaller. The wrenches I have are also a bit more compact, the handle is thinner. The problem was the nut was just about touching the back wall.
The socket I spoke of, is about 5" long and has holes in the side to insert a screw driver to twist. Made the job do-able.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
First the socket he is talking about is a "electrical eliment" socket for hot water heaters. I am aware of the nut he also is talking about, since I went to tighten it using the aforementioned telescoping basin wrench and it would not get a grip. We are at the place of also replacing the kitchen facet since it leaks while we are using the coach, and would like suggestions on what to use in it's place. I am going to assume it's not under any warranty any longer with WRV gone. Plus I hate the thing, it's hard to use, and I want something made better.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #5

Grohe makes some nice faucets, mostly under $600
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

note: when you unscrew the supply line to the main spout you will (or should) find a teflon star shaped pc. That is a flow control or restricting device. If you do not use it or something similar you will use way too much water.

Any faucet from home depot or any other supply house will work fine. Just see to it you use a flow control device.

Dan
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Star Shaped PC? What exactly are you talking about. I have not taken it apart yet, want to measure the height of the current faucet and try to get a little bit more coverage over to the smaller sink. Delta and Kohler make models we like, so it's a matter of just picking the one which suits us best and putting it in.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
We've been working all summer on our new-to-us '05 40 FDQS and the kitchen faucet was one of our projects. Here is the one we purchased at Lowes. It's a 'bar' faucet, as opposed to a kitchen faucet, so it's a bit smaller, which we see as a benefit.

AquaSource at Lowe's: Brushed Nickel Single Handle Bar Faucet

Not a top of the line fixture but works and looks fine. I like how it gives plenty of height over the sink.

Removing the original faucet was easy once we bought the right tool:

The size that worked for our fixture was 1 1/2".

We haven't posted much since we purchased the coach in June but plan to post a summary of projects we've done. We knew the coach needed some maintenance and a few repairs but it's ended up being a bit more than that. Oh well, we love the coach, and are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Star Shaped PC? What exactly are you talking about. I have not taken it apart yet, want to measure the height of the current faucet and try to get a little bit more coverage over to the smaller sink. Delta and Kohler make models we like, so it's a matter of just picking the one which suits us best and putting it in.
When I unscrewed the water hose that leads to the center spout, there was a teflon part inside the fitting on the end of the hose. It is about 1/8" thick and about .5" dia. This part is shaped like a star and has a hole through the center.
This is a flow control device.

Sorry, I did not take a picture.