Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #1

I thought I had heard it all when recently an Alpine Coach owner told me that his kitchen sink had fallen away from the counter top. Well, guess what? Mine just did the same thing. Investigation showed that it was held in place by some kind of adhesive only. No screws or clamps. Does anyone know what kind of adhesive is used by the factory to cement the sink in place? I want to be sure that I don't use that type to reinstall it. Also, has any other Alpine Coach owner experienced this problem? What kind of adhesive or clamping system did you use to reinstall the sink? My coach is a 2003 34FDDS.

Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #2

I thought I had heard it all when recently an Alpine Coach owner told me that his kitchen sink had fallen away from the counter top. Well, guess what? Mine just did the same thing. Investigation showed that it was held in place by some kind of adhesive only. No screws or clamps. Does anyone know what kind of adhesive is used by the factory to cement the sink in place? I want to be sure that I don't use that type to reinstall it. Also, has any other Alpine Coach owner experienced this problem? What kind of adhesive or clamping system did you use to reinstall the sink? My coach is a 2003 34FDDS.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #3

Hi Chuck,

Our 04 Alpine has a wooden frame that is glued to the underside of the counter. Metal brackets are then screwed into this frame and hold the sink in place. Do you have the same setup or did WRV glue the metal sink directly to underside of the countertop? Did this frame pull away? Or did the factory glue the metal sink onto the underside of the countertop without the wooden mounting frame?

Russ
Old 07-13-2004, 05:00 AM   #4

What kind of material is the sink made of? I don't think the composite materials have any way to attach. SS sinks should have an attachment on the bottom (you can buy extra sink clamps at home improvement stores). Best adhesive sealant I've found for sinks is Polyseamseal brand (home improvement stores). Get it in the little squirt tubes since you won't need a lot.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #5

Hi Russ & Lorna. Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling. Yes, Russ, my sink is like yours, but the brackets do not hold the sink in place. The way they are installed is a joke. Just cosmetic. The sink was glued in place directly to the Koridan underside counter top. And yes, Lorna, the sink is SS. See Russ's description of how it is installed. I have reglued the sink using a heavy duty silicone rubber like polymer and applyed excess as an overlap layer from the bottom side of the sink metal to the Koridan counter surface. I also filed a warranty claim with the factory so that if it falls out again soon I can hopefully get into some dealership who can apply a proper fix. You would think the factory would have done a proper technique installation to begin with.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #6

I AM SURE BY NOW THAT YOU HAVE HAD YOUR SINK RE-INSTALLED, BUT FOR OTHERS HERE IS MY EXPERIENCE.

MY SINK FELL OUT TWO DAYS BEFORE THANKSGIVING. I PLACED A CALL TO CUSTOMER SERVICE. REX OVERNIGHTED THE NECESSARY CLIPS AND I GLUED, USING CONTACT CEMENT, WOODEN BLOCKS TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE COUNTER TOP. AFTER CLEANING THE ORIGINAL SILICONE CAULK FROM THE SINK AND COUNTER TOP I APPLIED A GOOD AMOUNT OF NEW SILICONE AND SECURED THE SINK BY ATTACHING THE CLIPS TO THE WOODEN BLOCKS WITH THE SUPPLIED SCREWS.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #7

Location: We are in Seabeck Washington staying with our son and daughter-in-law.
I also had a ss steel sink that fell out. It had some metal clips, but they simply stripped out of the wood strips. I used 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant, Fast Cure 5200. I have had good luck with it on my sailboat. Ours is a 2001 Alpine, only time will tell if it works better.

Gary
Old 06-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #8

My sink fell out yesterday also, just glued like others said but what type of clips did the factory send you. normal clips work on sinks that sit on top of the counter and pull it down. I need clips that push the sink up against the counter top. thanks. Mel
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Are you talking bathroom ceramic sink or stainless-steel kitchen sink?

My bathroom ceramic sink lost a clip that was attached to a block of wood, glued to the underside of the counter. I plan to glue the entire rim of the sink to the bottom of the counter. Basically caulking it in place from the underside. The OEM method was just a shortcut, having only a few square inches of adhesive, but faster to install.

My stainless-steel kitchen sink is glued to the underside of the counter, all the way around. The sink itself does have the rail for installing clips in a clip-down design, but they are unused and unneeded.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #10

I am going to reglue it and put wooden cribbing under the edges to help support the sink as there aren't any clips that really work well on this type of sink. thanks for the replies.. Mel
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #11

Mine fell out this Feb. I just bought a piece of 1"x1" fir, cut it to length and braced the sink from the bottom. When I got home in March I secured the two braces. Have had no other problem. I just do not trust glue alone.
Jim
Old 06-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies. after talking to Clayton at Uhlmann's who is their Alpine Coach expert, He had the parts dept send me a tube of glue( I paid for it) which after cleaning up the old glue from the sink, I reglued it and placed a hydrolic jack under to hold it tight for 24 hours and then cut 1x2 boards and screwed them into some wood framing under the sink. hope it holds this time. Wow, what we have to do and know to own and maintain an RV. Mel
Old 06-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #13

I had my sink drop down also. I RTV'd it in and then put a piece of wood from the center of the sink down to the cupboard shelf to wedge it in a bit. Has been that way since last year some time.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Instead of a board wedged under the sink, we have the refrigerator bars (4 of them) slipped in vertically and tightened after cleaning out old and putting in new adhesive - been there a couple of years, its working.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote