Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Kwikee Step light lens cover

My steps are working good and well lubricated. My problem is the light is not coming on when the steps are activated. I can't get the lens cover off to check the bulb. The cover will turn in either direction but doesn't unscrew. Don't see how to snap it off. Have read over the manuals but I must have missed the part about the lens cover removal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2005 Alpine 40 FDQS
Thanks
Ralph
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
It pulls off.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks to this thread I learned that I have a light under the step.I believe that the switch has to be on to operate the light.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

As noted above the switch needs to be in the on position for the light to work. But I still haven't been able to get the lens cover to snap loose, mine must be a little stubborn. Haven't put a lot of effort into it once I determined the bulb was still good. Thanks for the information about the switch!!

2005 Alpine 40 FDQS
Thanks
Ralph
Old 09-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The light follows the door, Door open light on, Steps position does not affect nor does the step switch at least on my 2005 and newer units.

I also found the light less than effective so I got a pair of small LED strip lights, these are marketed as ACCENT lights for cars.. One is mounted on the bottom of the top step angled down so it lights up the bottom step The other is on the top of the top step at the "Rear" which is under the body of the motor home when step is extended. it's mountd "Flat" shining out over the step.. These work very very very well and should outast me (I'm a Beatles song after all..... Sixty Four).
Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The light runs on the chassis battery, not the house batteries. The step switch must be on, I have re-wired ours to operate on the outdoor light switch, not the step switch so it stays on while we are out, and the step does not retract when we close the door (or screen) because I wanted the light.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All, the switch for the step controls the light. The switch does two fold operation.
1. In the on position, the step stays out when door is open/closed.
2. In the off position, the step comes in when the door is closed, and goes out when the door is open "every time".
Regardless of the switch position, if the ignition switch is turned on, and door is closed, the step will come in, and only open when door is opened. Not sure if, coach needs to be in neutral, and brake on. Since I am by myself a lot, this does not come up, since it's always in neutral and brake on when out of drivers seat.
Light comes on, stays on, when step switch is on, light goes off when switch is off, and if door opened, the light will come on until door is closed and step retracts.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, light