Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Kwikee step not working???

kwikee

I have a 2004 alpine..34'r

when I bought it the guy worked on it all day try'n to fix it... still don't work...

so now that it's home, I've been trying to make it work.... there seems to be a circuit braker that goes off, step is stuck out...

when I took the motor off, and you open the door the motor turns the direction to push it out.... but the motor only turns every other time...
(they put a new motor on at the dealer)

there are two wires going to the door switch....are they both ground?? what it seems to me is the two wires going to the motor are both hot wires and the control box says which one to be hot... one reverses the motor and one is forward?.. the motor grounds by the case???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

It sounds like the control board is bad. When the door is closed the motor should drive the steps in, when the door is open, the motor should drive the steps out. The control board reverses the polarity to the motor according to whether the door switch is open or closed. In both cases, power is applied to the motor (controlled by the control board) until the motor cannot move any more (steps are jammed, steps are at stops, etc.). Control board internal thermal/current sensors sense the stopped condition of the motor and no longer apply power when motor is stopped. So, from your description, if you had the control board hooked up when testing the motor, it sounds like the board is bad.

All this assumes there is no tie-in with the Vansco system...of which I have no experience or knowledge.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

My steps stuck in the out position and the problem was the worn spring on the door plunger.Have you tried pushing in on the plunger to see if there is proper contact?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
My steps stuck in the out position and the problem was the worn spring on the door plunger.Have you tried pushing in on the plunger to see if there is proper contact?
Yes, theres something going on in the wiring...with the motor un hooked it spins... but only one direction... it doesn't ever retract
Old 06-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club

The door switch has had problems shorting to the frame, our step would go in and out while we were driving down the road, the problem was a loose switch that shorted to the frame. I tightened the switch after wrapping it with electrical tape, check it out.

Welcome to the DP side.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

Not sure of the exact model of your steps but most Kwikee are similar. Link below is the manual and has good troubleshooting tips.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...888-Rev-OI.pdf

Steve
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
yes, that's what make the motor spin, only one direction..

also the switch on the wall?? when it on what should the step be doing
Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
There is a switch located on the wall next to the pass seat. You should have 3 switches, outside porch light, interior lights in the front of the coach, the step switch. When the step switch is up the step should extend and stay out, not go in or out based upon the door opening or closing.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Does your '04 have the Vansco units? '04 is when WRV changed over, so could have them or you could have gotten one of the coaches that still had fuse panels and no Vanscos.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
There is a switch located on the wall next to the pass seat. You should have 3 switches, outside porch light, interior lights in the front of the coach, the step switch. When the step switch is up the step should extend and stay out, not go in or out based upon the door opening or closing.
thanks..
Old 06-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Does your '04 have the Vansco units? '04 is when WRV changed over, so could have them or you could have gotten one of the coaches that still had fuse panels and no Vanscos.
I have to look, I think if it is it'll on the wall when the gen is out

it has some circuit brakers cause I hear them clicking
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I have to look, I think if it is it'll on the wall when the gen is out

it has some circuit brakers cause I hear them clicking

The Vansco units are located on the wall INSIDE, in front of the passengers seat behind the plastic panel and in the battery compartment. You do not need to pull out the gen.

What you hear clicking is most likely the ATS (automatic transfer switch), circuit breakers will only click once when they are tripped, then you will need to manually reset them. WRV used fuses, not circuit breakers.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
The Vansco units are located on the wall INSIDE, in front of the passengers seat behind the plastic panel and in the battery compartment. You do not need to pull out the gen.

What you hear clicking is most likely the ATS (automatic transfer switch), circuit breakers will only click once when they are tripped, then you will need to manually reset them. WRV used fuses, not circuit breakers.
Thanks so much for the effort and post

verified the Vansco...right where you said...also the #4 power to the step
is working
my son is gonna to perform the test as kwikee diag.

thanks again buddy
Old 06-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #14

ok, did all the test and the controll box is bad... the part# is 909506000

anyone know where to get one

thanks,

Tags
kwikee