Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

L/F Jack leaking fluid from external fitting

At first I thought the seal around the shaft was leaking, but it is coming down the outside of the housing and dripping from the seal area. I just purchased the 05 Alpine and don't know the history of the jack but it appears to be a newer jack than the other three. I am at a COE park for a few days and I am sure that I will need to add fluid to the reservoir until I can get it repaired. I think that I read to check fluid level on the quad slide Alpine, all jacks up and all slides in except the Passenger front slide. Will someone correct me if I am wrong, and tell me the correct procedure. It has lost a good bit of fluid and is still dripping at a pretty steady rate. I wish that I could tighten a fitting, but from what I could see the leak is coming from up inside the mounting bracket and not easily reached. Not sure of the exact point of leak, but very confident that it is not the seal. Thanks for help and advise.

Ralph
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Ralph.

You are correct on how to check the HWH fluid. :thumbup:

The fitting leak on the Jack is probably the hose & fitting.

HWH has had problems with there hose. If you are mechanical with the Jacks in the up position, you can remove hose from the jack to the HWH manifold. Take the complete hose to a commercial hose maker and they can duplicate the original with better hose and new fittings in less than 30 minutes. That should stop the leak.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #3

Thanks Dave, from what I've seen the hose at the top of the jack isn't leaking. It seems to be coming from an area midway from from the bottom of the jack. Just have not been able to get to it or see it. I only see the hose mounted at the top of the jack as being the only hose. I think it's something else maybe a sensor or a mounting bolt. The leak is a steady drip when the jack is extended and I have noticed the RV dropped a little from the level we set yesterday. Thanks

Ralph
Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once the pressure is off the jack in the raised position, you can clean the area with Spray carburator cleaner. Kitty litter in a card board box will absorb the mess. Once clean and with someone working the jack switches, you should be able to pin point the leak.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Ok thanks Doggy Daddy, yes air bags up and jacks up I may be able to see where it is leaking from. I will attempt that later this am if possible, DW wants to visit BIL today she hasn' seen him in over 2 years. Thanks guys will try to pinpoint the leak and add fluid also.

Ralph
Old 01-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #6

Today I was able to check for the leak and I still don't have the exact place pin pointed, but I did check the fluid level and added a small amount to the tank. I will monitor the leak until I get it repaired.

Ralph

Tags
fluid, leak