Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 05:23 AM   #1

Ladder for alpine coach

I just purchased a 2005 40' Alpine coach. I would like to add a ladder to access the roof. Does anyone have specific recommendations that would be a good fit for this Coach?
Odchrist
Odchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping world, among other stores, sells a very nice 14 or 16 foot TELESCOPING ladder, some of these (Watch the label) can hold up to 300 pounds or more. I have a 10' version.

These ladders telescope down to around 3-4 feet for storage (mine fits between the lav and the shower in the main bath) and can fit in the basement storage well.

There are a whole bunch of other "Get real small for storage" ladders as well.

Now, on my coach I too the factor ladder off, it was more trouble than it was worth for a 300 pound me. I had a body man bend a pair of "J" hooks and hang a convertable (Step/Extension) ladder from Sears on the hooks.. There is a "Shower safety bar" (Stainless) from the plumbing isle at the Home Improvement store near the bottom, Bungie cord and a bicycle lock hold the ladder on the rig (the latter to keep it there)

This ladder can hold my 320 pounds like nobody's business.

Works good when I wax the sides too.

I use them both depending on what I'm doing.. If I need access to the EDGE of the roof, say to replace the hat on the stink pipes (Tank vents) the short telescoping is easier to access. If I need to get ON the roof.... the big one does it.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odchrist View Post
I just purchased a 2005 40' Alpine coach. I would like to add a ladder to access the roof. Does anyone have specific recommendations that would be a good fit for this Coach?
Odchrist
Another Alpine owner posted this information re' the factory installed version:

Kemberly Manufacturing. They are a division of, I believe, Atwood.

574-264-4144.

You should also do a "search this forum" for the word "ladder." The issue is discussed on the pluses/minuses of installing one (and whether your coach is properly "prepped" for such a ladder) are discussed at length in the Alpine forum.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
FYI, other Alpine owners suggest that some Alpines have the necessary "blocking" behind the fiberglass to mount a ladder and some do not. You should inspect to ensure that yours does have the blocking. Supposedly 2005 and newer are prepped for ladders but you never know if your 2005 was built in 2004. So do check before having something installed. This is all discussed in the forum as previously described.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #5

Smile Ladder info

Thanks Dave and Jamie, Just getting started at this. Joined Alpine Coach Assoc .last week, so I will ck the site there.
Odchrist
Odchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
I had Saddleback RV install a factory ladder to the rear cap on our '05. I believe it was a Atwood product.Ours does have the reinforced wood in the fiberglass on the bottom of the spoiler. I saw somewhere underneath a pencil marking July '04 (#75327)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
FWIW - Before you take the plunge to have a ladder installed, please note. Not all rear caps were reinforced to handle a ladder. Second, based on numerious comments from people who have had CW install anything, I would fight shy of them. Contact Kustome Coach Works, Junction City, OR, ask for Bobby Vodden - 541-501-3371. He will know if it's possible. The rear cap might have to be removed (3 pieces I think-not sure) so it can be reinforced before a ladder can be installed. Attwood did not I believe provide the ladder, a company in SoCal did, and no one here seems to know who they are/were. There are at least 6 different ladder designs alpine used over the years as I have been told, don't hold me to that info, as I got it from a fellow owner I talked to in an RV park one time. You will still need to carry a large step stool or small ladder with you to clean the windshield, and work on the sides of the coach. I recommend the Little Giant Ladder currently sold at costco for you MH, it's a whold lot cheaper than having one installed on the back-JMTCW.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I was considering adding a ladder to the back of our coach until I spoke to a Monoco owner that had a ladder on the back of his coach and had it broken into, they climbed the ladder and got in through the skylight . That convinced me that I did not need a mounted ladder, I carry a Werner 16' folding one so I get on the roof when I want .

Maybe this was just a fluke, but the place where we stored our coach was broken into and a class C two spaces from us was stolen (it was found burned in Charlotte the next morning). When I spoke to the police detective he told me they probably looked at our coach and decided not to take it because of the dead bolt on the door (the class C is much easier to break the driver window) and the high windows. I don't know if that is true, but that seemed plausible (we had more saleable electronics than the class C so something kept them away).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote