Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Laminate Flooring

We have carpet in most of the living area and want to replace it with laminate (e.g. Pergo) sometime. A salesperson recently told us that laminate flooring would pop up, and not adhere to the base. We had Pergo in our 5th wheel and it was fine. Has anyone had laminate flooring put in, and, if so, have you had any problems?

Just as another thought, I'd be interested in anyone else who has replaced their carpeting, and what their experience has been.

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #2

Laminate flooring would work ok over the OSB ok. It is meant to be floating floor anyway. When I had 2000 Alpine, I installed matching Wilsonart flooring in the in the cockpit and it worked fine.

Something else you may want to look at is called Majestic Free Fit Vinyl tile. This can be put down over most any floor. It just lays down and can be easily replaced if it is damaged. Very easy to install. On my 2007 I have a lot of cracked tile and dirty, poor grout job, and right now I am going over the tile with this. The 12 X 12 tile does not have enough support with the OSB board. I had plenty of clearance for the slide out. It cost about $3.50 a foot wholesale, with 30 year warrranty.

2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You dont glue laminate anymore.. so nothing to 'pop'.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We took out the living room carpeting and put down laminate flooring a couple of months ago. I have no idea what your salesman was talking about, and I suspect that neither did he: laminate flooring is "free-floating" and does not "adhere" to anything. It is laid over an underlayment. Just make sure you get all of the carpeting staples out of the sub-floor--probably around 500 of them--so that the base is smooth.

Our floor has certainly not popped up, but you need to have expansion space around the perimeter. The flooring rows click together. It was a simple project. Make sure you buy trim pieces to match.

It's a lot easier to keep the floor clean without the carpeting.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try and buy the same lot number so the pattern and color are close..........
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

We bought ours at Costco. It comes with the pad already attached. The stuff at Home Depot is sold as separate products.

We had some water damage to repair and used a product called fix all to fill in the cracks. It is a self leveling goo made specifically for floors. Installed the floor free floating with a 1/4" gap at the edge. Installed some trim in a few areas attached to the wall only.

It was amazing how much dirt is held in carpet that you can never get out.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
We have carpet in most of the living area and want to replace it with laminate (e.g. Pergo) sometime. A salesperson recently told us that laminate flooring would pop up, and not adhere to the base. We had Pergo in our 5th wheel and it was fine. Has anyone had laminate flooring put in, and, if so, have you had any problems?

Just as another thought, I'd be interested in anyone else who has replaced their carpeting, and what their experience has been.
One consideration that seems to be missing from all the free floating flooring discussions is the behavior of the floor in a Crash the flooring not being attached to anything will become so many pieces of lethal projectials
Old 04-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We did the replacement last year on our dutch starbefore Alaska trip. The hardest part was removing wood in front of frig and sink area. Time consuming to remove the carpet staples found a few i missed during install.I got the flooring from Lowes. Buy extra lots of waste because of cuts also if you need repairs you will have pattern match. Lowes will accept return of full boxes only I had two freinds do the installthey had tools I didthe removal of carpet captain chairs etc double check slide,go slow and have fun I saved $2,000 if insatllers did the work. did cost me a few good dinners

Joe (Ka6bud)
Mariposa Ca
Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #9

I'm not a DIY guy on projects like this. Does anyone know of a good place that does flooring in the Elkhart, Indiana area?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I like to use engineered wood and glue all that down. Makes a very solid feeling floor. Been doing it for years.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #11

Can try Duncan RV Repair in Elkhart IN.
BTF
05 40FDQS

Duncan RV Repair | Elkhart, Indiana - Dometic, Evans, Onan, Generac, Carefree
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I recently watched the install of a glued down laminate floor and it was very solid and well glued. The installer had been doing this for about twenty years. He found the floating floor's expansion and contraction was a problem for most coach owners. The gaps would collect dirt and the gaps became annoying.

My in-laws installed a floating floor in my old Vectra and I really see his point. The glue down was much better. The installer said just don't buy the "pre-padded" flooring and to use the best quality you can find. His work was fantastic, but he says it bills at about 30 hours for my layout, replacement of carpet, forward of kitchen tile. Not a very big area. DIY? Probably.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
there are a lot of DIY out there. with me, I do not use quarter round to hide gaps because I can't cut close to the walls.
ernieekbergflooring.net
close to 40 years in the bizness
and I can still walk
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We had the carpet in the main section pulled out and pergo type floor installed right at our dealer before we took posession. We have 7 Yorkies that camp with us. We had a 5th wheel for many years with carpet, so we know first hand how nice it is to have these floors. I cut a clear thick plastic type type matting for the remainder of carpet in the cab area and slideouts. So far we really like it.......Happy Camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp 2010 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	9852   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp 2010 3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	9853  

barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote