Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #15

Dave
We own a 06 Apex & have the front shades installed like yours. Question where did you get or what did you use in the window frame to keep the shade behind the post??????? The piece is beige & appears to be round & mounted to the pillars on each side of the window.
Outstanding job on your upgrades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim & Elaine Ellis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Ellis',

The beige pieces on the side windshield pillars, are the stock covers. The shade on the left side would slip off of the cover when putting it down. I first spaced out the cover with some foam rubber. I still couldn't get the cover out far enough to keep the shade from slipping off. One of the few things I got from WRV, under warranty, was a new passengers side lower dash cover. This is made from the same plastic as the pillar covers and it came in a large sheet, not cut out, like right out of the vacuum forming machine. I cut a strip of this plastic from the edge and fastened it to the pillar cover as you see in the photo. I was going to get a small aluminum angle, paint it and attach it to the side of the pillar cover.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #17

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
We had our MCD front stades installed at their factory in Gainsville, Texas under WRV warranty (replace Carefree shade). They used what I think was a length of plastic rain drip gutter covered with the suede night shade material and attached to the windshield pillar with screws.

They quit doing WRV warranty work when they didn't paid. Imagine that.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #18

Great job
In your picture of the Vansco and the batteries is that a diagram in the upper left quadrant and if so can you tell us what it defines

Jim
06 Apex
Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

Something like what you have is what I was planning on until I thought of using some of the plastic I had. I thought it would be too much trouble to order a small piece of material from MCD just for this. Yours looks good.

Jim,

The diagram is the battery cabling.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,
Good to talk with you. Dale requested I ask questions to the IRV2 forum, so all can benefit.

Would you tell me more about the battery monitor. Who is the mfg., cost. Also what does it measure? Is it draw on the batteries? and/Or does it show juice going into the batteries, I.e. from the solar or inverter battery charger?
Do you have any other photos of the MCD blinds? I'd like to see how and where they are mounted up behind the TV. Also the side windows. Is the door and co-pilot one unit or two? Did you put electric on all the blinds? In the one MCD photo there is something on the dash above the back up monitor, what is it? Can't see it well enough to tell.

In the water pump photo you say SS accumulator, hard to tell in the photo what it is, but looks like a stainless steel tank with some kind of bracket on the bottom. Is that the one you said you bought at Lowes, awhile ago?

Do you have any photos of the front cabinets where the DVR etc. are located, which show the fans. Do the fans take air in from windshield side and exhaust out around the DVR toward the rear of the coach? How many fans?

The panel for the shower control, wow! from your photo there sure isn't anyway I can see a human getting into that hole? Am I missing something?

Enjoy your trip, hope you found cooler weather.
D&D Rich
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,

The battery monitor is a Trimetric unit with a 500 amp shunt. Here is the link to where I got it from with all of the information about it.

Solar-electric.com

It is hooked up to monitor just the house battery bank and will monitor the use and charging from engine, inverter/charger and solar.

I will post photos of MCD's, switches and fans as soon as I can. The MCD shade on the door is just the night shade with the day shade attaching to inside the door window with velcro. The window next to the passenger, like the front and drivers units, are their American Duo Day/Night shade. Two rolls stacked one above the other. They are all electric driven. The 4 original switches are used along with 3 added, mounted just below the dash AC controls.

MCD.com

The SS accumulator came from ShurFlo, it is a Aqua King™ Premium 4.0, a combo unit of pump and accumulator together. The pump came mounted to bracket you see, but wouldn't fit into space available that way. the accumulator is similar in size to the one I had gotten from Lowes. The one from Lowes is just steel. This one is hooked up with a large tube between the pump and the tank, the one I hooked up was just installed into a tee after the pump with the standard 1/2 inch tubing. Both accumulators worked about the same, this one is just much nicer. Here is link for info about pump/accumulator.

ShurFlo Pumps

There are 4 SilenX fans used for cooling the entertainment center. The fans take air in from windshield side and exhaust out through the openings in the wood panels above the DVR and RCA surround sound/DVD toward the rear of the coach. The cabinet doors are adjusted to allow for slight openings across the top. Here is link to fans.

FrozenCPU.com

The opening to the back of the shower is not very big, but the valve is not that far above it and not that bad to reach with just your arms. I think that the opening on the coaches with the mirrors might be higher.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, where did you get the battery caps?
I am seriously thinking the water system is just too much trouble to deal with, and would like to take it out and put some kind of caps back on the batteries. I will leave the reservoir installed, so it's easier to fill the batteries when I inspect them, hopefully about once a month would be enough. I also believe because they were mostly all real low when I purchased the coach, that they may have all been just about toasted, and I will have to replace them. Wow, not looking forward to that expense now, they are the 6V variety Golf Cart type. My guess is close to 800.00 to replace. And I know you should do all of them, guess it's time to break down and get a good hydrometer to check them. I can hear them bubbling almost all the time, even when the charger is just in float, so the xantrex is trying to charge them.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Monty,

I have gotten the from different sources over the years, started with 4 batteries, went to 6 on the 02 and now have 8. They are quite expensive. There is an alternative, see the Miser cap, along with the Hydrocaps.

Miser and Hydorcaps

When using the stock, filler system, I had problems with valves sticking and causing over fill/flow. I had to move some of the battery cables, but it wasn't much of a problem. The caps not only cut the water use, but keep the acid in the batteries, keeping the battery compartment free of corrosion. I checked the water just before this trip, about 8-9 months after installing caps. Only about 8-10 cells needed about 1/8" of water. The caps for the old fill system are stored in a box for the next owner.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #24

I had problems with the factory auto-fill system working properly to the extent that I had to replace all 6 house batteries less than a year after buying the coach. Acacia RV repair strongly urged replacing the system with a unit from Flow-rite. I kept the factory pump and water jug to use with the new auto fill. So far so good.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #25

Monty I have got a set of Miser caps I'm not using. PM me
Old 07-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Dan,

To follow up on your question. You asked "In the one MCD photo there is something on the dash above the back up monitor, what is it?, it is the Smart Tire display and control.
Here are 2 photos of the front MCD shades. They install with clips that screw to the ceiling areas where the curtain tracks and sun shades mount. The front and side plastic trim covers have to be cut to clear the shades. The front shade is a very tight fit on the sides, I had to grind the inside of the front cap on both sides to make it fit.

I still have to cover the holes from the old equipment.

The three switches below the dash AC controls are the three additional ones I added.

This is a better photo of the pump and accumulator tank. The pump is a standard "off/on" pump. I plan to reinstall the old Extreme™ Smart Sensor™ 5.7 and try adjusting it for better flow. This pump isn't bad, but doesn't handle washing the coach as well and allows the pressure to drop lower than the SS 5.7 did.

The photos of the front cabinets are not real good, but you can get the idea of fan placement.

Early shot of the left cabinet.

Left fan of 2 behind TV, the cables coming down through the ceiling, are from the MotoSat antenna. They would not fit through the factory path.

Early shot of right cabinet.

Late shot of right cabinet.

I am not sure if it shows in the photo of the TV or not, but the TV is mounted about a 1/2 inch down from the ceiling to allow for air flow.

I changed the photo of the gages to one that I hope is better. I forgot to mention that I plugged the original screw holes for the hinges of the cabinet door, by gluing in toothpicks, and moved the hinges out slightly to allow for air flow for that compartment.

A few additional shots.

This is the center area, between the 2 foam blocks that I foamed in at the sides, there are 2 pieces of foam sheet wedged in between the the closet rear wall and the rear cap. The entire area above it is filled with fiberglass insulation.

This is the coolant recovery tank I installed as mentioned in a previous post.

This is a small mud flap I added to keep mud and road debris off of the step when it rains.

This is the controls and gages for the Vagabond water system I installed.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #27

Dale-
You are an RV animal.
Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
MKELLY - Let me know how many you have and how much, maybe we can make a deal. You may contact me PM.