Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I have been asked to let some of you know what I have been busy doing since rescuing our coach from WRV when they closed. I will mainly tell you of what upgrades I have done, not the warranty work. This is why I haven't been posting very often lately. My next project, not coach related, is to make pdf's of the info that I have accumulated for the ACA web site.

AS our original TV gave out on the trip home from delivery and the replacement sent was not the same brand, a new wood cover for under the TV was needed. This was never supplied by WRV and we had to have a new one made. As long as this was being done we decided to replace the TV to one with built in speakers. This way the surround sound is not needed for just watching regular TV. This photo shows the new TV and an extra AC vent I added to the front of the coach.

One of my suggestions to WRV was to move the gages and misc. controls from the front of the coach back to mid-coach where they used to be placed. This is a more convenient location and is easier for them to install. I added better tank gages, solar controller and battery monitor. The original solar controller is installed behind the panel shown and is used for the small solar panel used for the chassis batteries.

Starting on the top left. Surge Guard, SeeLevel tank gages, vent holes, switch for tank gages, Blue Sky solar controller. Aqua Hot control switches, thermostat (was mounted behind surround sound speaker, very hard to see and set), battery monitor. Xntrex controller, more vent holes.

Shunt installed in ground cable for battery monitor. (Lower right.) Small plastic shield installed below the HWH cylinder and above the Vansco module. When I replaced the Vansco module I found that it had oil on its rear wire connections.

Wires removed.

Wires in wall in rear of cabinet.

Insulation added in wall in rear of cabinet.

Insulation added behind wiring in rear of fridge. cabinet

New arrangement in right entertainment cabinet. Directv DVR, controller for MotoSat dish, switch for power to entertainment center except for DVR and MotoSat. Small switch is for single fan on thermostat cooling this cabinet. All of the fans have been replaced with SilenX 80x80x25mm - 14dBA - 32CFM iXtrema Pro Fans, installed to blow into the cabinet. The hot air vents out toward the rear of the coach, top. These are still operated off of the amp probe that turns them on when the TV is on. Both front and rear systems are operated with Harmony remotes.

New arrangement in left entertainment cabinet.

New arrangement in cabinet over driver on left wall. Antenna switches. I am not using the input for aux satellite dish, as I have no desire to try to align a 5 LNB dish manually. Switch for OTA antenna amp. Aux inputs for TV and HWH control.

My RCA surround sound/DVD system was making a loud howling sound when starting up. There was no warranty available on it, so I opened it up to find the source of the noise. There is a small cooling fan inside that just needed a little lubing.

MCD powered shades installed on all front windows, like Apex. Side ones are easy, front one is not for the faint of heart to try and do yourself. I will add them to the living room soon.

This shows where I had to add a small strip of plastic material to keep the front MCD shade in front of the windshield pillar cover.

New shower valve, small lever adjusts temperature, very accurately and the large lever is for volume. The temperature stays set when you move the volume lever.

The next two are add ons to the other work done to the AquaHot heating system, trying to reduce heat in the cabinets.

Larger heater vent installed in kitchen.

Larger air return in bathroom cabinet.

I took out the bedroom TV, replaced it with a 22 inch LCD Visio TV and added a Directv DVR. (The new MotoSat antenna has 4 feeds coming form it.) Two additional satellite cables were run to this area.

New bedroom TV locked in place for travel.

New bedroom TV out for viewing.

Storage behind new TV.

New Shurflo pump and SS accumulator tank, supplied by Shurflo. I added a shut off valve after the water tank, so that the pump can be worked on without draining the tank. As stated before, the SE's and Apex's have no large tank drains like the older coaches.

As was posted in previous subjects, the rear closet heats up while driving. I had previously insulated behind and under the drawers. I am now in the process of insulating the open area in the rear cap. The photo below shows where I have foamed in place pieces of sheet foam insulation to hold the fiberglass I am installing above that area. After the area is filled with fiberglass insulation, I will install more pieces of sheet foam that will just lock into place.

The End.
(for now, I am going to take a break and enjoy the coach out of this heat for a while.)

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I have been asked to let some of you know what I have been busy doing since rescuing our coach from WRV when they closed. I will mainly tell you of what upgrades I have done, not the warranty work. This is why I haven't been posting very often lately. My next project, not coach related, is to make pdf's of the info that I have accumulated for the ACA web site.

AS our original TV gave out on the trip home from delivery and the replacement sent was not the same brand, a new wood cover for under the TV was needed. This was never supplied by WRV and we had to have a new one made. As long as this was being done we decided to replace the TV to one with built in speakers. This way the surround sound is not needed for just watching regular TV. This photo shows the new TV and an extra AC vent I added to the front of the coach.

One of my suggestions to WRV was to move the gages and misc. controls from the front of the coach back to mid-coach where they used to be placed. This is a more convenient location and is easier for them to install. I added better tank gages, solar controller and battery monitor. The original solar controller is installed behind the panel shown and is used for the small solar panel used for the chassis batteries.

Starting on the top left. Surge Guard, SeeLevel tank gages, vent holes, switch for tank gages, Blue Sky solar controller. Aqua Hot control switches, thermostat (was mounted behind surround sound speaker, very hard to see and set), battery monitor. Xntrex controller, more vent holes.

Shunt installed in ground cable for battery monitor. (Lower right.) Small plastic shield installed below the HWH cylinder and above the Vansco module. When I replaced the Vansco module I found that it had oil on its rear wire connections.

Wires removed.

Wires in wall in rear of cabinet.

Insulation added in wall in rear of cabinet.

Insulation added behind wiring in rear of fridge. cabinet

New arrangement in right entertainment cabinet. Directv DVR, controller for MotoSat dish, switch for power to entertainment center except for DVR and MotoSat. Small switch is for single fan on thermostat cooling this cabinet. All of the fans have been replaced with SilenX 80x80x25mm - 14dBA - 32CFM iXtrema Pro Fans, installed to blow into the cabinet. The hot air vents out toward the rear of the coach, top. These are still operated off of the amp probe that turns them on when the TV is on. Both front and rear systems are operated with Harmony remotes.

New arrangement in left entertainment cabinet.

New arrangement in cabinet over driver on left wall. Antenna switches. I am not using the input for aux satellite dish, as I have no desire to try to align a 5 LNB dish manually. Switch for OTA antenna amp. Aux inputs for TV and HWH control.

My RCA surround sound/DVD system was making a loud howling sound when starting up. There was no warranty available on it, so I opened it up to find the source of the noise. There is a small cooling fan inside that just needed a little lubing.

MCD powered shades installed on all front windows, like Apex. Side ones are easy, front one is not for the faint of heart to try and do yourself. I will add them to the living room soon.

This shows where I had to add a small strip of plastic material to keep the front MCD shade in front of the windshield pillar cover.

New shower valve, small lever adjusts temperature, very accurately and the large lever is for volume. The temperature stays set when you move the volume lever.

The next two are add ons to the other work done to the AquaHot heating system, trying to reduce heat in the cabinets.

Larger heater vent installed in kitchen.

Larger air return in bathroom cabinet.

I took out the bedroom TV, replaced it with a 22 inch LCD Visio TV and added a Directv DVR. (The new MotoSat antenna has 4 feeds coming form it.) Two additional satellite cables were run to this area.

New bedroom TV locked in place for travel.

New bedroom TV out for viewing.

Storage behind new TV.

New Shurflo pump and SS accumulator tank, supplied by Shurflo. I added a shut off valve after the water tank, so that the pump can be worked on without draining the tank. As stated before, the SE's and Apex's have no large tank drains like the older coaches.

As was posted in previous subjects, the rear closet heats up while driving. I had previously insulated behind and under the drawers. I am now in the process of insulating the open area in the rear cap. The photo below shows where I have foamed in place pieces of sheet foam insulation to hold the fiberglass I am installing above that area. After the area is filled with fiberglass insulation, I will install more pieces of sheet foam that will just lock into place.

The End.
(for now, I am going to take a break and enjoy the coach out of this heat for a while.)

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Dale, you are hired!! I want you to do my upgrades when the time comes. And I love Las Vegas anyway, so it's a win=win for me. Great Job, don't know about the area in the closet, I think mine is different, and I don't notice the heat you are talking about, but I have another question on adding a Gun/Money safe, I will start another thread, please chime in with your thoughts and some pictures. I will post a link to a company who makes small light units and I have a call into them for additional information, brochure, etc - your opinion is requested as with all members.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #4

WOW....Great work and pics.

Can you provide more info on the shower control please. Where did you get it, brand, installation problems, etc. Ours is sooooo touchy, it is very hard to get the right temp. Does your new valve do a better job at controlling the temp?

Thanks

Ken
Old 06-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #5

So when are you opening business to retro-fit our coaches? You can count me in.

Beautiful work...lots of great ideas.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
To all,

Sorry, I am retired and only do this as my hobby, and thank you for the positive feed back.

Ken & Nancy,

The shower valve is a Delta unit, many styles like this available, got at Lowes. On our unit the back splash on the rear kitchen wall is just a sheet of Karadon. There are 3 small metal decorative pieces inset into the sheet. These pry out and there are screws behind them that hold the sheet in place, use caution when removing, so that you don't crack the sheet. for those with the mirrors, do a search and you will find discussions about how to remove the mirrors. There is a hole behind that opens to the back of the shower. There also is a wood panel on the backside of the kitchen slide that needs to be removed.

This is the original valve. The valves are held in place using the two screws that hold the front escutcheon on. The plastic installation guide/templet is used to hold the valve in place on the back of the shower wall.

This is the new valve installed. It came with a tub spout which I didn't use and just capped off the port to it. The original connectors for the ends of the water tubing are difficult to use in this tight space, so I replaced them with the push in type.

I love the new valve, it takes a great deal of movement with the temp valve to make a change in the temp so that you don't scald or freeze yourself. Your temp setting stays where you set it, if you turn the water off and then back on.

Just 2 extra photos:

The anti siphon valve for the holding tank flush system that is talked about in many posts. I thought seeing it might help some of you.

This is Lake Samamish WA where we went to spend a week after picking up the coach. This is where we were when I installed the MotoSat antenna and the shower valve.

Dale
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #7

Dale, thanks for sharing. Nice work.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #8

Dale,

Thanks for the quick follow-up and photos. I was hoping that you were able to replace the valve without removing the Karadon. My luck, I'd crack it. I'll ponder it a bit.

Ken
Old 06-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
When I replaced the shower fawcet on my 2006 Apex, I was not aware of the romovable Karadon. I found a removeable panel in back of the kitchen cabinet that allows access to the shower fawcet. By sticking my body into this small hole up to the middle of my chest,I was able to do the job but thought we would have to call 911 and get the jaws of life to get me out of that hole.Do not use this method.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Ken,

I had been told by the service staff at WRV about how they had cracked one, so I was prepared. It wasn't that bad. I cut the sealer at the bottom seam and just worked it out slowly. Of all of the projects done, this one wasn't as bad as I had thought. The front MCD shade and the insulation in the rear cap have been hard on the back.

Basil,

I don't know how you ever did that, you are obviously not claustrophobic.

Dale
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW, our shower valve is very nice, it's actually the best one in the coach, the kitchen is loose, and flimsy feeling, the one at the bathroom sink is a little hard to work. I have messed with them, but the kitchen needs a little more work, with my basin wrench.

May you do real nice work, and if you want a second career, pleanty of people here would hire you to fix their coaches.

On another note, Uhlmann RV has the contact name of a cabinet shop in Wilsonville, OR who they recommend, and I will get the name and post it to this group.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #12

Basil,

I noticed the same opening in the upper cabinet. There is a piece of luan on the back side of that opening in my rig. Did you cut it out or break it out?

Ken
Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Ken,

The piece of luan you see is the panel I mentioned in my post that is on the back side of the kitchen slide wall. Mine was held on with screws and some tape across the top. It covers that wall from top to just above the bottom. It can only be accessed easily while the slide is in.

Dale
Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #14

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is a piece of luan on the back side of that opening in my rig. Did you cut it out or break it out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale answered this one. Again, I do not recommend doing the fawcet replacement from this hole. it was extremely difficult to do and fawcet ended up being a little loose. I need to go back in and rework it but that project is far down my list.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote