Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Free2Go
Leak issues on both my front and rear cap

I've got leak issues on both my front and rear cap that I can't seem to get sealed. I'm ready to take it to someone. I'm sitting in Ann Arbor, MI, but will be headed down toward Elkhart, IN. Anyone have a suggested place to get the work done?
Free2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Steve,

What are you using to seal the cap seams/moldings? I just got through resealing ours as Preventive Maintenance.

Dug out old caulk (aft side of front seam/molding) and both fore and aft side of rear seam/molding. Taped to make a clean caulk line. Used Sikaflex 221 white. Also replaced all the screws in the rear molding with stainless steel and bedded them in the Sikaflex 221.

Sifaflex 221 is a high end polyurethane sealant: RV Sealant- Structural Bonding & Assembly, Sealing | Sika Corporation U.S.
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2Go View Post
I've got leak issues on both my front and rear cap that I can't seem to get sealed. I'm ready to take it to someone. I'm sitting in Ann Arbor, MI, but will be headed down toward Elkhart, IN. Anyone have a suggested place to get the work done?
I can't recommend anyone, but since about 70% of RVs are made there, you should have no problem finding someone. Take a few hours and tour the RV Museum. It is a neat place. We stopped there about six weeks ago on our around the middle of the country trip. We did a tour of the Newmar Factory and that was very nice. You go right on the factory floor and go station to station with a tour guide. There are others, but that is the one we did.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Sikaflex 221 is available from Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

I suggest you also check caulk around the running lights. I finally found our front leak around the lights.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

WRV may have "wrved" the screws. I just had my front cap redone completely. Most of the screw heads were broken off. I doubled the number of screws and took care not to over tighten, then floated with self leveling sealant.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
After all that, cover the joint with EternaBond RoofSeal tape available from Mobile Home Solutions on Amazon.