Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

leaking fuel tank vent hose

I just found my leaking fuel tank vent hose the hard way. Diesel all over the left side of the coach and car. Old hose cracked in many places. Might want to check yours.
royboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

royboy,

What make, model, and year is your coach? That would help us in considering your caution.

By the way, you can input this type of info in your signature line, so that it shows up automatically with each of your posts. To do so, select "User CP" near the top of the irv2.com page, then select "Edit signature" under Settings & Options, then in the Signature box, type whatever you want to show up at the bottom of everyone of your posts. You can see below this message what my Signature is:
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #3

Im sorry, I thought is said it was an O4 limited. Roy
royboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #4

In doing steering kits, I find that the vent hose in particular is dry & cracked, tho usually not leaking. Many I find are drooping around the bottom or below the filler hose, and I push them back above. In that case the tank would have to be full for the vent hose to leak, and then fuel sloshing forward. If it is below the fill hose, it can leak anytime fuel splashes forward, since it'll send some into the vent hose and there is no way out except if it finds a hole to leak thru.

Replacing the vent hose is easy enough w/gen slide out and tank not full. Just hose clamps & zip ties.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #5

Thanks Roy!
I'll add that to my growing inspection list
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

ROYBOY: I may have posted this same issue two days ago myself. Filled up the coach and started to pack for our trip when my BH told me I had a leak under the generator. Turned out the hose was cracked and leaking very much. Your right Emike, this is better addressed when the tank is much less than full. The end result was quite a lot of diesel on the ground before I was able to get a container under it. It was, however, very easy to fix. While I was standing there looking at the drip and trying to figure out what to do next a young man drove by and told me he was new in the area and looking for any odd jobs. He looked a bit like he and diesel were good friends so I hired him. Sent him to Carquest to get the hose, he came back and slid right under and in less that 20 minutes slid right back out. New hose installed. I moved the coach and he cleaned up the mess.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

I also replaced my vent hose recently. 2004 Limited. You think they used bad hoses in '04?
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #8

Many of the hoses I've seen are dry & cracked, and that's not just on 04's, so I'm guessing WRV used an inexpensive grade of hose.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #9

I did check the vent hose on mine and had a lot of cracks on every bend. Since the hose does attach to the FRONT of the fuel tank at the top, when the tank is full, it would be getting diesel in it. I took the hose to a hydraulic hose shop and asked about my old hose? WRV did use a marine grade 5/8 vent hose, the only problem is the date code on the hose is Jan 1993. Maybe WRV got good deal on it! The salesman asked me if it was near heat and I told him no? MY FACTORY INSTALLED HOSE IS 17 1/2 YEARS OLD NOW. I think it safe to assume, I not the only one with this old hose. Mine took 6 feet of 5/8 vent hose and cost me $12.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #10

Are you saying us later model Alpine's got hosed?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #11

Maybe we all did!
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard and Cris View Post
I also replaced my vent hose recently. 2004 Limited. You think they used bad hoses in '04?
We, too, have a pretty steady drip after filling. Our temporary "fix" is not to fill to full. Would much prefer a real fix. Can someone describe how to access and replace the vent hose? I would imagine there is a vent hose for each fill spout - true?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Ours is a 2004 36' MDDS. Thanks
SusieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto-will add to my inspection list prior to blast off. But it's going to rain, and I don't want to be on the cold ground, so I think I'll wait until I get to warmer climate first.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #14

Run the gen slide out & check the front-top of the tank w/a flashlight. Yes, there are two vent hoses if you have both fill necks (some mid-door models), one only on front door models. Should be easy to replace, tho you may want a "hose pick" which is like a bent screw driver w/a point on it for tearing off old hose from between the hose I.D. and nipple o.d. It might take a bit of a contortionist to get to the tank ends of the hoses, but aside from a case of the twisties, it ain't rocket science.