Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #57

Thank you.

Never too proud to admit being wrong.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #58

We have also reached the ranks of a leaky radiator. That was our good news from Cummings NW in Yakima this morning. Luckily we purchased an extended warranty (because of knowing the problems that have occured) while at Quartzsite this last Jan. We made sure the warranty covered the radiator. Now we just have to find time to get a replacement done.
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #59

Alpine Owners Club
Lyle - What extended warranty covers the radiator???
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 AM   #60

Check out ACC Warranty Services.
Datastorm #3481
Old 06-02-2007, 03:22 AM   #61

After looking closely at the photo included, it appears the leak is not at a core-tube joint. Also, as the Aluminum appears to be TIG-welded, as is almost always the case, I'd bet good money it can be repaired in the area showing the leak.

My suggestion is to remove the radiator and take it to a facility having TIG welding capabilities to have them re-weld it in the leaking area using filler rod. Some, not many, body shops have the ability but the best bet is to take it to a contract welding shop.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:19 AM   #62

Lyle and Cath- I don't mean to hijack this thread, but have you had any other ocassions to use the ACC warranty? Would you recommend them? How much for a year's coverage. I'm within a month of my factory coverage expiring and I'm concerned about going without.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #63

We haven't used them yet. We will be giving them a call on the radiator sometime in the next 3 days. Would have already called except we were busy buying a new Jeep Sahara yesterday so we can go off-roading with everyone in Newport and Moab. We are excited. We will let you know how ACC responds. When we purchased it we were assured the radiator would be covered and if you go to their site it is included. We purchased the warranty about 2 mos after our year warranty was out. The length of coverage is 5 years/50K. We added Plasma/LED coverage for $300 and the total cost was $2,660. When we compared other extended warranty's this one far excelled. Good Sam would not cover the radiator.
Datastorm #3481
Old 06-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
Lyle & Cathy - I submited a request for a quote from ACC (we bought the CPS Warranty 3 weeks after we took possession of our Apex in Aug & before we knew of the radiator issues). We paid $2345 but it is only a 4 year plan with unlimited miles. I noticed that yours does not cover the hyraulic cllutch assembly.

Please post again and let us all know how they were to "deal" with and your assessment of the service after you have replaced the radiator. I assume you have a $100 deductible?
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #65

I just wrote this beautiful post and it just disappeard. Anyway what I said was that I just got off the phone with ACC and it was a very pleasant experience. I explained to him about the radiator and he asked if I could still drive it and I told him no problem, so he said take it to Cummins NW and have them diagnose the problem and give them a call with what's needed and they will get it taken care of. Next chapter the approval. I will let you know how that chapter goes.
Datastorm #3481
Old 09-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #66

bump
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #67

Wayne, thanks for finding discussion on leaking rediators. Will let you know how my issue evolves.

jerry and toni
jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #68

Add me to the mix of folks with radiator problems.

I went to Buddy Gregg RV in Lewisville, Texas (near Dallas) for some repairs. When I pulled in, one of the techs smelled coolant and suspected a leak. It appeared that some coolant had leaked through a worn spot on the overflow hose. Looking further, there was some coolant which had dripped under the radiator (in the shelf just under the fan), although the coolant window in the rear showed that the coolant was at a proper level. To test for leaks, they apparently pressurized the radiator, and when they did, a leak was detected but they couldn't tell if it was at a connection, or if the radiator itself was leaking. They didn't feel qualified to work on the radiator, so I am leaving that for a future repair. I contacted Chris at WRV and he said there was a known problem with the aluminum radiators from this company (Radiator Specialties), and that if there is a leak, the radiator cannot be repaired, but must be replaced. Apparently there is a more "stout" version of the radiator now being used in the newer coaches and also to replace defective ones in the older coaches. I drove the 200 miles from Lewisville to Georgetown (just north of Austin) and did not notice any additional coolant leakage, and indeed, the indicator showed the coolant level to be the same as it had been previously. After reading this thread, it sounds like I probably need to get the radiator replaced. BTW...I had called Cummins and they said they don't work on radiators... it's part of the chassis, not the engine. I'm scheduled to take it to a place in San Antonio in December to have it looked at.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #69

Gator67

If you have the leak others have, you will most likely see it at the bottom of the radiator on one of the end caps. They tend to start out small. You may have nothing more than a hose leak, so be sure to get it fully checked. I would start by wiping off all the fluid I could find and watch it closely.

Also, do you stay at New Life RV park in Georgetown? We stay there about 6 weeks out of the year; were there in September and will be back In December.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #70

Our 2005 Avalanche had a very similiar leak and Cummins said it needed to be replaced. Unfortunately the radiator was not available off the shelf and had to be custom built for us by the original manufacturer. Fortunately this was covered by the manufacturers warranty but it did take over 2 months to complete.

2016 Newmar Ventana
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote