Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #71
Does anyone know when WRV switched to the newer one piece exopy radiators?
Like EXACTLY in which model year and where during the production?
Was it during 2003 - 2004 or 2005 model year...?

Wingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #72

My 05 was built in August of 04. I know the problem extended into late 06 models the exact cut off I am not sure of. Mine was replaced at the factory in August of 06 and they were still using the suspect radiator.

At that time they still were in denial of any radiator problem.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #73
It must have been after the Feb 2005 build date of 40FDQS coach, my radiator has had a weeping type leak since day 120. The leak is not a hose connection, it's core leak.
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #74
Hi Wayne,
if I got that epoxy radiator....you know it's a walking time bomb ready to go off

at anytime..What troubles me is we both got our coaches about the same time. I believe I preceeded you by just a slight bit. The problem is if you already had the dreaded "faultily engineered epoxy radiator" let loose on you.....if I have the same one... what dark alley will I end up at when mine blows....
It's a heck of a thought traveling around the country knowing it's just a matter of "short time"......
Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #75
One note to those who might have a failure on the road. Depending on how serious your leak is we were able to replace the factory radiator cap with one of a lower pressure rating. This allowed us to finish our trip and return home to wait for the new one to be built and installed.
Fly'n Paws

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #76
Fly'n Paws Thanks,
well I guess I will be examing that spot {great picture Audrey and John}....well I mean the photo was well documented} the sight is a absolute horror... which I am sure to bear witness to shortly.....
at least I will be able to "Limp" home if I stay on top of it and use the cap trick...
REALLY VERY-VERY POOR ENGINEERING- WRV and this radiator company - I mean- COME ON !!!!
I'll have one eye on the road and the other on the water temp... GREAT.....
Old 11-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #77
My 2 cents worth on Bars Leak...

I had a '78 Pontiac with a 400 ci engine. While washing the engine one day at a 25c car wash I blew out the gasket on the water pump. On this engine, it is 3 hour job to change a water pump. I drove home, 3 blocks, and then in the other car went and bought a bottle of Bars Leak. Poured it into the radiator and in less than 30 seconds, the leak was stopped. That was at about 100K miles. We traded the car in 40K miles later and not a drop of a leak.

So, If I had a leaking alum radiator, the first thing I would do is put in a couple of large bottles of Bars Leak and forget it.

If it does not stop the leak, then spend the big bucks.

'96 Safari 3540, 300 CAT, Fulltimer since 12/00
jlb77399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #78
I'd have to agree here.
My 1st MH had a Chrysler 440 and the water pump casting cracked, leaking badly. The 440 had been out of production for a while and the Dealer I was at, far from home, couldn't get another. So I did the Bars-Leak thing. Worked like a charm.

If you're looking at a new Radiator at your expense, give it a try. You've nothing to lose and if it works, which it should, you'll have almost a free ride.
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #79
As promised here is the update on my leaking radiator issue. The leak was typical of other leaks posted on this thread. The radiator of course only had a one year warranty. WRV agreed to provide the radiator free with the instillation on me. The first repalcement was damaged in shipping and a second soon arrived. I believe that the secon radiator was a upgraded version of the origional. While the radiator was out it ws discovered that the hydraulic hoses to the rear slide were again going bad (replaced before). A call to Cris at WRV led to replacement hoses along with a diagram for complete rerouting of those hoses away from the radiator.

We have just completed a two week trip from the cost to vegas to Death Valley including numerous passes ( I like remote senic plases) covering aabout 1700 miles. So far no leaks and the coach is driving well. My state of Zen as it relates to my coach has returned.

Cost of rediator labor incluing new hoses and fluids about $2600. Cost of hose replacement and rerouting 0. Work was performed by Showcase Country Coach in Rocklin Calif. Warranty work requires payment by you with reimbursement through WRV.

Jerry and Toni Smith
2006 34 jeep liberty
jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #80
The repair place ordered the new radiator from Western RV on Tuesday, December 11. The parts people didn't get it crated and shipped out until Monday, December 17. Not surprising... I've seen several posts about parts problems with WRV. With the holidays, and our desire to go to Quartzsite, I sure hope the radiator WE get isn't damaged in shipping. It's supposed to arrive Dec 24 or 26 and we're having it installed Jan 2. If there are hydraulic hose problems... AAAARGH... I don't even want to THINK about it!
Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #81
We replaced our radiator in Royce City, TX one week ago. The first morning after it was installed, we turned the engine on and got a low coolant level warning. We shut it off. Waited and turned it on again. The warning came on again. We called the RV repair shop and they said to shut it off again that there may be a bubble in the system. The warning did go away. The next time that we started the engine, the same thing happened. The third time you start the engine seems to be the charm.

Has anyone else had this problem? Help??
datibbitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #82
I just had my radiator replaced last week, it too was apparently one of the lot that WRV got with problems. I have now put 1400 miles on it (I know, I know one week and 1400 miles) and so far no problems.
Hugh & Cyndi Reed
35' 2004 Damon Intruder 2 slide
2004 Honda Element toad
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #83
I've got the "Radiator Drip". From reading the posts, the guy to call is Burk Morgan and get the radiator from Mac's.
Some have related removing the radiator themselves. How hard a job is that? How long did it take? Any special tools or words to chant while working?
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #84
With WRV out of business I'm not sure Burke can help you, but I guess it's worth a try. I am no mechanic; when I had the radiator replaced in January '08 it took skilled knowledgeable folks about 10 hours to remove and replace the radiator, which is about what WRV said it would take. Maybe one of the techies can offer some counsel, and printable chants.

Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote