Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM   #1

I just had a level 3 service performed on my 05 Alpine by Cummins NW and was informed I have a leaking radiator core. Has any one else experienced a premature radiator failure?

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

Wayne, would you explain a level 3 service to me or should I read my manual?

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:38 AM   #3

Ted III,
It is a term Cummins used to describe the services I needed at 25,000. Chassis lube, all filters, engine oil and coolant filter check front hub oil. I had the initial service at 10,000 so at 25,000 the transmission was due again so I opted to get the engine service done also.

From the lack of responses it appears the leaking radiator is isolated to my coach.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #4

Wayne- I think I remember hearing @ Aguanga gearhead session the ISL config doesn't have a coolant filter.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:53 PM   #5

Could be but they list it as being changed on the work order. I don't see it listed on the parts list. The manual that came with my coach lists a WF2074 as the coolant filter. I have to go back to Yakima to get the radiator replaced so I will check on if it has one or not. I suspect we don't have a coolant filter sense it is not listed in the parts replaced list nor was I charged for the filter.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #6

My 2004 DSDP 370 HP ISL, that was built in the summer of 2003, has a coolant filter. I have changed it twice myself.
I know they don't use coolant filters in the newer ISLs. I believe they stopped using a coolant filter during the 2004 production.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:48 AM   #7

Wayne, thank you for your answer on the level 3 service program. I had this done at 6000 miles purely because somebody that could not care less about my coach drove it from Washington to PA. I felt more comfortable having everything checked that I could. It would have been nice if he had mentioned to the dealer the rear end noise which if you recall, mine came unglued shortly after we got it. Anyway, thank you.
Mike, you are starting to use those words again. Whatever that thing is you mentioned I thought was some kind of a reptile that ran around the desert or something.Mike, does my car have one of those things as Tom & Patty & Carol & I would like to get them out of our Cruisers. (Aguanga?) Cut me a break. It could be some kind of a disease.

Thanks for everything, even that thing Mike.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #8

Wayne,

Our radiator has a small leak at the bottom of the rear end cap. The nearby drain is not the source of the leak. Monday we are going to Cummins Rocky Mountain in Albuquerque NM for diagnosis. Is this leak similar to yours? Why couldn't Western RV ship the replacement radiator to you?

-John
Old 12-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #9

John,
That is the area my leak showed up. According to the tech at Cummins Northwest in Yakima it was leaking where the core met the tank. I couldn't squeeze up into the area to take a look myself. He was able to see where it was coming from by shining a flash light towards the tank with his head up by the fan.

Send Wingding a note he was trying to get his repaired when he phoned me to compare notes. He had the same problem and was told the radiator was not repairable by 2 shops he had taken it to. (Wingding if I got the name wrong I apologize)(Update it was not Wingding)

I opted to replace mine due to time constraints. It would have had to been shipped to Oregon and back for repair and the final cost would have been about the same.

I was told by WRV they had switched manufactures and the radiator now has a 2 year warranty, mine was only good for a year. I hope that is the case with yours.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:39 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hey, Guys, about the radiators -
When we drove our coach to AZ a couple of weeks ago we noticed a high pitch whine back by the radiator. When we got to Ehrenberg and had Flying J Lube it & change the Rear-End grease the noise had changed to a grinding sound. Like the fan is having trouble turning.

When we got home (left the coach in AZ) we called WRV and Mark tells us that they are not aware of any problems with the radiators (?) and didn't have a clue. (?)

Any suggestions?
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Mine leaks in the same place.06 Apex
Old 12-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #12

Mine started leaking in the same place a couple of days ago. 05 40MDTS
Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #13

I replaced our 05 36MDDS with the older style copper radiator (which I purchsed from the factory). The original is all aluminum with the center core's epoxied to the tanks. In talking to the radiator shop that supply's the replacements to Yakima Cummins they said they will all fail. The epoxy will not withstand the weight and vibration and will and eventually start seperating from the tanks. Also the Factory is well aware of this problem.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #14

Raci17

Was the copper core unit you replaced your radiator with readily available at the factory or just one they had leftover? Who is the radiator company and can a replacement be purchased reasonably through them. It appears this problem is getting bigger as more coaches with the aluminum/epoxy built radiators get a few miles on them.

I had mine replaced in August but assume it was the stock aluminum one. So I probably can expect problems down the road.