Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #1

Living in California we dont often have a reason to find out if our slides leak. However last March when we traveled to the Perry FMCA and the Alpine pre rally we went thru several very strong rain storms. And all of our slides leaked badly.
The kitchen slide leaked into and thru the overhead cabinets. The rear passenger slide leaked all over the rug. The rear drivers side slide leaked onto the bed and cabinets.
I tried using the jacks to cause the water to run off differently. That would help one side but not the other. When I look at the slide seals, they look normal to me. It does look like the slide toppers could have been a little wider to protect the slide seals. Otherwise I am at a loss. Does anybody Have any ideas? I think that this condition probably has existed since we bought it new, but we seldom get into a heavy rain condition.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #2

Living in California we dont often have a reason to find out if our slides leak. However last March when we traveled to the Perry FMCA and the Alpine pre rally we went thru several very strong rain storms. And all of our slides leaked badly.
The kitchen slide leaked into and thru the overhead cabinets. The rear passenger slide leaked all over the rug. The rear drivers side slide leaked onto the bed and cabinets.
I tried using the jacks to cause the water to run off differently. That would help one side but not the other. When I look at the slide seals, they look normal to me. It does look like the slide toppers could have been a little wider to protect the slide seals. Otherwise I am at a loss. Does anybody Have any ideas? I think that this condition probably has existed since we bought it new, but we seldom get into a heavy rain condition.

Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #3

Stretch,

Sorry I can't be of much help. All three of our slides leaked on our 04, and the worst was in the front slide in the back corner of the galley. Fortunately we had heavey rains the first year of owning the coach and kept taking it to WRV to get it fixed.

One thing we did do that slowed the leak some was if we had a heavey rain we would bring the front slide in just a bit, that would cause the top of the slide to tip out just a little. Also Mike found a gap in the metal piece that goes along the roof of the slide about 18 inches in from the back under the gasket. He filled that gap in with some sealer and it slowed the leak.

Sorry I can't tell you what WRV did to fix the leaks, but I feel sorry for you because it is no fun stepping on soggy carpet or walking into the kitchen with water all over.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #4

Thanks dgreen, thats some help and I will look a little closer, at the slides.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #5

Stretch:
I also had the terrible main slide corner leak. Spent a few hours on a ladder outside with a tube of silicone. Thought we had it fixed and then left for the Homecoming. We had some good(sic) storms on the way and discovered that it still leaked.
At Homecoming this was one of the items on our list and the tec came in with a big glob of sealant on his hand and reached up inside the corner and said not to touch anything until morning. Didn't touch for 5 days. Left Yakima and toured the Olympic peninsula for the next 6 weeks. Had a lot of rain and no leaks.
On a previous post when I thought the leak was caused by the topper pooling the water, I decided to switch to a Carefree Summit. Wow, what a mistake. It didn't fit on the Alpine. Now I have a new topper, no summit, and it rattles in the wind when closed.
Hope this helps.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #6

chris cross: Thanks for responding. "A big glob of sealant"? I am wondering if the sealant actually "glued" something or lubricated the slide rubber? Or since the wrv guy told you not to move the slide for a while perhaps the glob of sealant dried and cured in place forming a new sealing surface. Did he place the sealant on the outside or inside of the slide out? Just wondering?
Stretch
Old 11-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #7

I had the water problem on the main slide, near the sink. The water dripped from the top of the slide at the 90 intersection of the cabinets. Checked on top of the slide (inside) and there was a 3" gap between the "L" shaped dams which ran the length of the slide. Looks like they prevent the water from coming into the coach. The area was filled, so far no water.

Bernie
02' 36 FT