Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #1

On our 2006 the toilet bowl adds water every time it is flushed, but after 15 minutes or so the water has seeped around the seal and gone into the holding tank, leaving the bowl dry.

When we first got our coach in August of last year the bowl held water, and did so for a few months, but now it doesn't. I have tried cleaning the seal and adding a quick swab of white lithium grease to it (which I used to do on my Sealand Vacu-flush toilets on our boat, and it worked, but none of these procedures seem to work.

My question to the forum is, 1)are these toilets expected to hold a small amount of water in the bowl, and 2)if so, what would you recommend for a fix on this issue -- new seal, or what?

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #2

On our 2006 the toilet bowl adds water every time it is flushed, but after 15 minutes or so the water has seeped around the seal and gone into the holding tank, leaving the bowl dry.

When we first got our coach in August of last year the bowl held water, and did so for a few months, but now it doesn't. I have tried cleaning the seal and adding a quick swab of white lithium grease to it (which I used to do on my Sealand Vacu-flush toilets on our boat, and it worked, but none of these procedures seem to work.

My question to the forum is, 1)are these toilets expected to hold a small amount of water in the bowl, and 2)if so, what would you recommend for a fix on this issue -- new seal, or what?

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #3

Our 03 held water at first and I'm sure is designed to do just that. However after a bit of time it seems some, uh, debris got lodged under the lip of the opening and it began to seep. they offer a kit, REALLY A sanding board type of thing that you place under the half opened ball valve and then close the valve and rub the sanding board back and forth. This is supposed to dislodge the debris. It worked great the first time. The second time which was yesterday it only made the leak worse. Now I think my only option is to take the toilet apart, turn it upside down and really clean it or replace the worn part. Anybody have a less drastic idea?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Mine has not held water in the bowl since first purchased in Feb/05. I've tried cleaning with the sanding board kit a number of times. I too would like to know how to fix the darn thing.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #5

The seal leaked on our Sealand also. As it was still under warranty I had them send me another seal. The new seal was a different design and has worked perfect since.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure what brand your toilet is but in my motorhome the flat slide valve that opens and closes as you flush can sometimes pinch toilet paper in the rubber seal that it rides against. This lodged paper won't allow the toilet to make a complete seal and hold water. You can look close in the bowl and clean that rubber seal with a small screwdriver or something pointed and sharp without removing the toilet. Just be sure you don't drop your tool. Good Luck!
Sammie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #7

Same problem here! Done the cleaning. Seems to hold water better in warmer weather and be a function of how hard we "slam" the slide/valve shut after flushing.

Audrey
Old 02-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #8

Same problem about 2 years ago. Used WD-40 to dissolve the calcium deposit that form on the gasket. I know this seems weird, but it works. It also works to remove calcium deposit in showers. What you need to do, is shut the water off and remove all the water in the bowl. Then spray WD- 40 while the flapper is closed, so it covers the flapper in the bottom of the bowl, and leave it closed. Let it set for a few days , best to due when you park the MH.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I would be a little leary of using WD-40 on rubber or plastic parts. The petroleum products in the stuff have been known to swell rubber. This might be why you get a better seal but I don't think it is a good long range solution.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #10

For those w/mineral deposits interfering w/the seal, you might want to consider a reverse osmosis water filtering system. I've got the Vagabond system, and we don't have any hard water issues even tho much of our time is in Mexico & AZ where the municipal water is so hard that when I have enough in the bucket, I snip off the flow @ the spiget w/kitchen shears.
In the coach we never have any mineral buildup.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #11

My coach is 6 years old and has all original parts in the toilet. The seal still works great, using WD-40. The toilet bowl is made of porcelain.

Fred & Lon Masino
2001 Alpine 40
Old 02-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Ok Fred, I'm willing to give it a try after your recommendation
Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #13

I had the same problem with mine after 5 years. I ordered a rebuild kit from a company in Canada and rebuilt it as I was doing the cork flooring. Cost under $50 and works/looks like brand new. They recommended a silicon spray to keep the new seal lubricated.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
It seems to me that having the leaking seal in an older motorhome is something that would be expected. However, to have this seal start leaking so soon in a new motorhome seems like a design flaw to me. Perhaps, someone from WRV should take this up with SeaLand...and/or we owners need to start complaining directly to SeaLand and ask for replacement parts as "349" says they did.

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote