Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #1

Our air conditioners drip into the coach at the intakes. We had it up to Yakima and they worked on it, but it doesn't appear to be fixed. The rear A/C drains out the drain tube at the rear, but the front one does NOT drain out of the front tube. There is water all over the roof from the front A/C and it runs off the side.

We are now in Michigan where it is VERY humid. Even though the rear A/C is draining out the rear tube, the rear intake is dripping onto the bed. The front A/C eventually drips onto the carpet.

Yakima recommended running compressed air into the front tube, as the drain cup(s) may be clogged. Might that help? Or, do I just risk dislodging the drain tube?

Is it just the case that the A/C's cannot handle the high humidity and this is something one has to live with? Does anyone have experience with any of these problems?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #2

Our air conditioners drip into the coach at the intakes. We had it up to Yakima and they worked on it, but it doesn't appear to be fixed. The rear A/C drains out the drain tube at the rear, but the front one does NOT drain out of the front tube. There is water all over the roof from the front A/C and it runs off the side.

We are now in Michigan where it is VERY humid. Even though the rear A/C is draining out the rear tube, the rear intake is dripping onto the bed. The front A/C eventually drips onto the carpet.

Yakima recommended running compressed air into the front tube, as the drain cup(s) may be clogged. Might that help? Or, do I just risk dislodging the drain tube?

Is it just the case that the A/C's cannot handle the high humidity and this is something one has to live with? Does anyone have experience with any of these problems?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #3

About 4 months after taking delivery of our "05" we too had water dripping from the rear AC unit. At the same time we had a failure of the Front AC unit and the controller. The Dometic repair team while replacing both AC units noted that the drain line in the rear was blocked with the little balls of insulation form the roof foam. During installation as channels are cut out evidently some scrap material goes where it shouldn't.

I do not know the best way to get at the top of the tube where it is attached to the drain tray as that was done by Dometics when they pulled the unit out of the roof.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #4

We, too, recently had a dripping rear AC when I had the temp. set to 73. We were in VA, and it was hot and humid. We were gone all day; and when we got back, the bed was WET. I turned the AC to 77 the next day and did not have any problems. I had thought it was due to maybe running it too much. We may have this stopped up tube problem also, so I'll add this to my "list." We have an '06 36' FDDS.

The first several times we ran the AC we had little pieces of foam flying out.

Beverly
Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #5

We to are in Michigan and our drains run all day! My experience with the ac drains has taught me to look in a couple of places for leaks.

Start with the easiest first, the drain tubes might be plugged or kinked. During construction debris may get into the lines so remove the cover on the intake, remove the lines from the cups and blow them out with a low pressure air supply. Next check the (4) mounting bolts for the ac unit, my ac units have settled over the years and had to be retightened.

The next involves removing the ac unit which is really not a big deal. The four mounting bolt must be removed, remove the drain hose and electrical connections, with a helper you can lift the unit and inspect the drain cups. Mine are made of plastic and were cracked from improper installation. I replaced those years ago along with the gasket. My front ac drain was routed threw the holding tank bay and was kinked. I rerouted it and have had no problems since.

Hope this helps.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I had problems with the front AC only draining on the roof. The factory & other service blew out the tubes twice and it still wouldn't drain. I followed the drain tube down thru the fridge compartment into the storage bay, into the holding tank bay and across to other side. In this run there were two sections where the tube dipped low and back up creating a trap. After I fixed these the front AC will usually drain, depends on the level of the coach. Mine is a 2002 so I don't know if yours has the same run on the drain tubes.

I also have had the front and rear AC leak through the intakes on a few occasions. It was only when it was very humid and the leak was caused by the return ducts sweating from the humid intake air passing over them. I have never figured out why it did it only those times.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #7

I, too, have had the problem of water dripping from the front unit. The factory said to send compressed air up the drain hose. I found that my internal big chest was enough to clear anything in the line because I do not have a air hose. After examination of the underside of a/c it was noted that the line is so level that it is difficult for the water to drain. Now, I have water coming from both the drain tube AND off the roof, but stopped the inside dripping. Our humidity in the N.W is low so I wonder how the run-off will be in high humidity areas.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #8

The 3/8 ID hose used to drain the accumulated water is certainly large enough to drain more water than can be accumulated by the cooling process (condensation). If the water is dripping out of the hoses (front or rear) at a pretty good clip, the hose is probably not plugged but blowing it out is the easiest check to make. Other reasons for the ceiling getting wet is a leaking accumulation tray causing some of the condensation to leak through rather than be routed to the outside, condensation forming on cold vents and subsequently dripping, icing of the humid air being blown in, or leaking gaskets around the airconditioner roof seal. If blowing the drain hoses does not work, you will have to remove the outside cover when the condition occurs and inspect what is happening. A pinched or plugged drain hose or cracked accumulator tray is most common.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #9

Had the problem with the front AC. The drain line was just stuck on top of the waste tank. Didnt go thru the floor. Line Was kinked. Drilled hole thru floor. Blew line out gently. Put drain line so would drain well. so far so good.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #10

Hi all,
We had sort of the same problem. Our's was caused by two things. The first was human eror. Leaving the entry door open while the a/c runs caused it to overwork it's self, freeze up, and leak inside our coach. While thawing it out with the wife's handy hair dryer I started seeing another culprit previously mentioned. Second thing was little white styrofoam balls started flying around. After a total thaw and dry, my next step was the air compressor. I blew air down the tube and anywhere I could find those pesky balls of white. This was done a couple times from above and below (inside) the coach. At the same time I blew out the filters. This was last summer and this summer we were telling the neighbors in our "RESORT" (ha ha) about it and they said they had experienced similar problems before, and learned from someone else, instead of running the a/c on automatic fan, run it on low, this helps keep it from freezing up. Hope this is helpful to someone.
Doug & Linda, homebase for now "Maple Grove R/V Resort" Everett WA
P.S. What got me reading. Its been hot and dry this summer and we were reading our books and all of a sudden I heard water dripping. Looking back from the front of the coach I saw water dripping from the crown molding above the left side of the microwave in the corner. Well it rained last night for the first time in a long time. I got out the ladder and got on the roof to discover water puddling around the kitchen vent, after toweling up the water Linda said that it was slowing down. The caulk has fine a crack in the middle of it now I need to fix that as its a nice day. I will try to follow up.