Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

Left Rear Jack fuse location

1998 36 -left rear jack won't extend. HwH trouble shooting guide first step is to check fuse.

Is the fuse on the backside of the control panel box?

If so, is it accessed by removing the 4 screws securing the face plate?

All comments on this and related issues will be appreiated

Thanks for the help.
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Can't say for certain but IIWM I'd start by looking at the fuses behind the control panel, behind the tilting touch pad. Pull the panel in front of the passenger side seat then the curved panel next to it. That will get you to where you can see the fuses.
Best of luck.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

Jeff,
Thanks for the info. Found the box and fuses just as you said. Fuse is good. So search for the problem begins in earnest.
I sometimes get a low battery light when operating the system; even-though I just replaced both batteries and they are fully charged. I'm hoping to find a loose or corroded connection causing a voltage drop rather than a hydraulic issue.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Regarding the battery light on the HWH panel, I have had that at various times. After reading hundreds of threads here on IRV2, most of the time I hook up to the park power or if boon docking turn on the generator. I have read on this forum that this should not be necessary, but, unless I'm pretty level to start with, this is the best way to insure that the pesky battery light does not rear its head.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

You said you just replaced BOTH batteries--pretty sure the HWH controls in the dash run off the chassis bats but the HWH pump is powered by the house bats??????
PS--dont think there are individual fuses for each jack--make sure the solenoid for that jack is getting power/is opening/closing....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

I no longer have an Alpine Coach, but if memory serves me correctly, there are 4 relays in the forward fuse panel area for the jacks. Switch out the relay for the LR with another one to see if there is a bad relay. Owning a complete wiring diagram for the MH is a must in my view!

beagle
24G Prism/Mercedes
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

Old Scout and Beagle,
There actually is a separate fuse for each jack in the control panel.
There are 3 relays and 4 solenoids (one for each jack) and others for the room and gen slide.
Now that I know the fuse is good Ill continue down the trouble shooting tree in the service manual.
Any other input will be appreciated.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The last time Joe Elwell took a look at my coach, he pointed to those black square relays in the HWH bay. He said I should remove each connector and put dielectric compound on each of the contacts. He also said to not use pliers to remove the connectors so as not to cause a short. Perhaps that is a clue to your situation?
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #9

All jacks deployed.

Cleaning all connections and applying di-electric compound is good advice.

By running the engine and manually dumping the air while extending the jacks I was able to get all jacks down.
That tells me the hydraulics are good and all solenoids and switches work if they get enough current.
That's the good news. Now need to clean All connections.

Any suggestions for tracing all wiring?

Still have an issue with the room slide. But that's another topic and series of questions.

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

Not sure what problem you are referring to but most configurations of HWH used on Alpines wont let the large room slide be deployed until the jacks are down.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Just a quick though. When I've had HWH Gremlins in the past, in a final act of frustration, I turned off both of the batter disconnects for a short period. This has vanquished the little beasts! Also, look for posts by AZ Pete on his forum. He has been very helpful on WH issues. He is a Rep for HWH.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Not sure what problem you are referring to but most configurations of HWH used on Alpines wont let the large room slide be deployed until the jacks are down.....

Old Scout, on our '05 we can extend the living room slide WITHOUT the jacks being down. This may be an anomaly with our coach, (we all know how WRV liked to do things differently) but I have done it.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #13

DrDave--understand what you are saying about WRV. That is why I have long ago given up using words like "never" "ever" or "always" when commenting on IRV2. [smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #14

Problem with room slide

Old Scout,
Problem is that the room slide will sometimes not operate even with the jacks extended and the coach level.
The previous owner's solution was to strip some insulation from one of the wires to the slide solenoid. and then use a jumper to momentarily short between the solenoid wire and the 12v batt lead on the pump.

The momentary short causes a "clunk" sound- like a relay closing. Then the HWH control panel will operate the slide normally.
He told me that he had to use the jumper only occasionally to get the slide to retract.

This situation is not acceptable I need to find the problem and repair it.
Don't want to go outside and open the HWH compartment everytime I need to retract or extend the room slide.

Any suggestions?

Tags
cat, fuse