RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Leveler Jacks Coming Up

Hi All

Lots of discussions with the HWH jacks not coming up. I have the front passenger that will pop right up. The other 3 have been having to coax up by prying. I have cleaned them up around the seal area with to flush out debris. Wiped them down with HWH fluid and cleaned the pistons. We got to a campground the other day and after let them down decided need to move over some. They would not budge. Then one as always came up, the others would not. Tried to pry and they would not budge. Tried to open the control valves. Eventually they crept up enough to move. Still worried about getting them all the way for ride home in a few days. Took the hose off one and still would not budge. Maybe not the right one to bleed off the pressure. Any thoughts help be appreciated

thanks
Bruce

Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

From HWH; WD-40 for cleaning, of the jack shaft .

Could be the oil on the dust shield portion of the seal has swollen it tight to the shaft causing a binding.

I'm hoping that re-cleaning with WD-40 , gets the shafts retracting properly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 17 views)

Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM   #3

I would check with HWH-- they did have a batch of weak springs. They are easy to replace if that is the problem.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #4

It's most likely the jacks, it seems that their is a problem with the seals and you will have to either buy new ones or have HWH fix since they won't sell parts for them. Mine started off with one not wanting to retract and now only one retracts the way it should. I wasted the money on new springs and have cleaned them as well with no success.

Because I don't want to be without them for the summer I am using pads under them which makes it easier to pry them back up.I also carry a small floor jack that I use when I pull the pads out.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #5

….no pun intended here but lots of moving parts on this issue....the driver's side, rear jack on my 2003 has been an issue on and off, recently mostly off for years...haven't tried new springs and nor have I been very good about periodic clean though am told wd-40 is the way to go...jack mechanics are different from slides--jacks are one-direction with one hose and one solenoid. They also have an electrically actuated value[?????] on the top of each jack...so when you store a jack, the pump solenoid has to open, the value on the jack has to open [I think], and the pump manifold [shuttle valve?] has to open to allow fluid to return from jack to reservoir. Any of these things fails to work, the jack will stay down and no amount of cleaning or new springs will help. If its the value on the top of the jack, jack replacement/repair may help. The fact that one jack still retracts suggest the problem is either specific jack solenoids or valves????? Hopefully, AZPete will chime in and tell us how it "really" works [smile[….
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I had used WD40 up around the seals to clean them. I'll try to spray them down again. Was trying to download the HWH manuals here but the internet is slow. Wondering now if the solenoids might not be releasing the pressure? Is there another fitting I did not see on top to release any pressure other than the hose. Nothing came out when I tried to pry the jack up. May go into town and see if I can find somewhere with some better internet speed.

thanks
Bruce
Yankeebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

PS--you can pull the t-handle on the end of each solenoid to release pressure but that doesn't solve the issue of either a jack valve issue of the manifold shuttle valve......
Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

I'm pretty sure there is no valve on top on mine at least, I believe the sensor that indicates it's in the stowed position is on top. The cylinder should be a single acting if it has springs meaning it's power down and the springs pull it back up, so if you took off the line going into the cylinder you would eliminate anything past the cylinder. Unless the springs are completely shot they should pull the cylinder back up making a mess of course with the line off if it's not a cylinder problem.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
It's most likely the jacks, it seems that their is a problem with the seals and you will have to either buy new ones or have HWH fix since they won't sell parts for them. Mine started off with one not wanting to retract and now only one retracts the way it should. I wasted the money on new springs and have cleaned them as well with no success.

Because I don't want to be without them for the summer I am using pads under them which makes it easier to pry them back up.I also carry a small floor jack that I use when I pull the pads out.

I could have wrote this! Harbor Freight light small aluminum jack on sale now $79.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The seals swell up and get dirty. Then they refuse to go up or it takes a long long time. I got to the point that I carried a square faced shovel which I could work under the jack, and lever it up. Half way up I would reverse the shovel and force it up the rest of the way.

I just took ours off one at a time as they became troublesome, and took them to a hydraulic shop in the area. They rebuilt them in a couple days. Problem solved.

HWH is a great company but they are swamped with work most of the time. They may not sell parts but the hydraulic shops can get parts for them.

I also took the motor off the unit and had an electric shop rebuild it. No problem getting parts at all.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #11

...just to clarify--this era of Alpines have HWH jacks with an electrical connection on top and one on the bottom. Pretty sure one is for the jacks down warning sensor and the other is apparently a mystery--my guess is some sort of valve control. Just like dumb looks at the repair shop--guesses are free on this forum [smile]…..
Old 07-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...just to clarify--this era of Alpines have HWH jacks with an electrical connection on top and one on the bottom. Pretty sure one is for the jacks down warning sensor and the other is apparently a mystery--my guess is some sort of valve control. Just like dumb looks at the repair shop--guesses are free on this forum [smile]..
OK I will bite. The other electrical connection is where you put the warning sensor in a condition where the jacks are put away in the extended condition on some other application.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #13

...good guess--never traced the wire from the bottom connection on the jack but appears both connections are wired into the chassis loom and are being used--try again??????
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #14

How about this. One is a pressure switch and one is a warning switch. The one on the top (warning switch) indicates when the jacks are down more than a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The electrical connector on the bottom is for the pressure switch that will turn on the excess slope light when the jack fully extends.

Tags
jacks