Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
I would try a couple of things to get the jacks up. It could be the shuttle valve that is sticking and will not allow the jacks to move into the storage position. Sometimes slightly opening the shuttle valve will allow the jack to rise. The other thing is you can open the “T” on the solenoids that should let the jacks rise into the storage position.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Emergency Valve Release.pdf (15.4 KB, 45 views)
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMunsil View Post
The jack system will also work with the key in the run position. If you start storing the jacks then start the engine the jacks will stop storing and the air bags will inflate causing the jacks to be about 4 inches off the ground.
This seems to be where we are at. The airbags are full and the coach has been elevated, but the jacks are still down. All four the same depth.

I just want to thank all of you for suggestions. This is a great forum.

We will se what happens after work. From this point I will just try and retract. We may have been trying to put them back down. I hope I haven't broken anything.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #17

Not sure how you got the air bags inflated before the store cycle was complete--started engine? Think at this point, I would initiate an auto level cycle [push HWH "on" button twice][engine off][key in accessory position][all slides retracted] and let system try to level coach again. Once auto level cycle is complete, hit the store button once to initiate store cycle.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #18

Ok, update. Spent about an hour over there tonight. Started her up for about 5 minutes. Turned off and left in acc. Made sure brake was on. She has been plugged in for the last week. Turned the system on and as suggested. Hit the hyd button a second time to level coach and it just blinked. I let it go for about 10 minutes and nothing happened. Turned off and started over. this time turned the system on and tried to retract. Store light blinked and did nothing for 15 minutes. Jacks never moved.

I did notice the low battery indicator light was on. Batteries are only 6 months old, and it has been plugged in for the last week. Its a possibility that the batteries were damaged. Place where we store it has been showing it. Someone left the fridge open few weeks ago and a few other mishaps. I have been reading that bad batteries can cause issues with this.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #19

In order to check the HWH fluid level, you cannot categorically say that the jacks must be up and all slides retracted. Yes, the jacks must be retracted, but it depends on the type of slide as to the position of the hydraulic cylinder. Read the manuals carefully and you will find that when some rooms are extended, the hydraulic cylinders are actually retracted; while with others a retracted slide definitely results in a retracted cylinder. A good example is the dining room (curb-side) slide in the 2006 36' FDTS. This is the slide activated by a roller and chain link mechanism. When this slide is retracted, the cylinder is actually extended; therefore, to check HWH fluid level, this slide must be extended.
The idea is to have all jack and room slide cylinders retracted when checking the fluid level, this situation will have all fluid ported to return to the reservoir.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Leveling jacks are stuck

When you press the button twice the first thing the system does is dump the air bags. You should hear the air escaping for about a minute. Then the hyd pump should start and 1 of the jacks will start (if the panel shows 1 corner (or more low) the system starts with that corner extending that jack until that light goes out (I am not sure how it picks the jack to start if no corners are low, but it does). Then the system goes to the next jack until it has completed all 4 corners and the coach is level. It sounds like the system is not getting feedback from the air bags, I would suspect either the input from the air bags or the HWH control board, including the cabling and connectors.

Can you hear the air bags empty (the sound is very easy to hear)?
Can you hear the Hyd pump start after a minute (again easy to hear)?
Can you get one/any of the jacks extend manually if you press the down button?

One other thought, press the hyd button once (the light will come on and stay on, not blinking) you should be able to manually extend the jacks, try all 4.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #21

Yes--believe both the chassis and house bats must be at a fairly high state of charge for the HWH to operate properly.....make sure your bats are fully charged before "diagnosing" anything else. Could be wrong but since the leveling jacks are the only single direction cylinders--their position will significantly affect fluid level in the reservoir. The slide cylinders are bi-directional so with fluid on either side of the pistons--slide position shouldnt really impact on fluid level--but go with the HWH instructions-----to be safe......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
When you press the button twice the first thing the system does is dump the air bags. You should hear the air escaping for about a minute. Then the hyd pump should start and 1 of the jacks will start (if the panel shows 1 corner (or more low) the system starts with that corner extending that jack until that light goes out (I am not sure how it picks the jack to start if no corners are low, but it does). Then the system goes to the next jack until it has completed all 4 corners and the coach is level. It sounds like the system is not getting feedback from the air bags, I would suspect either the input from the air bags or the HWH control board, including the cabling and connectors.

Can you hear the air bags empty (the sound is very easy to hear)?
Can you hear the Hyd pump start after a minute (again easy to hear)?
Can you get one/any of the jacks extend manually if you press the down button?

One other thought, press the hyd button once (the light will come on and stay on, not blinking) you should be able to manually extend the jacks, try all 4.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
No, the airbags are not dumping at all. We had it working just a few weeks ago. Nothing happens when you hit the button a second time. No sound, the light just blinks. I will check the batteries first since the low voltage light is on and I was able to get it leveled and retracted just 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Here's something a fellow owner suggested that did work for me when I couldn't get the HWH system to level:

Run the generator and after it takes the load you'll notice that the charge voltage will be about 14.5 - 14.7V in "Bulk" mode. If there's a battery issue the charge voltage can help to overcome the issue. Now try the HWH system.

One way or another the red battery light that comes on in the HWH control panel is NOT good. The batteries are low or there's some other problem shunting the voltage. I had a generator slide relay (strapped to the pump motor) short out that caused problems for the entire system ... not saying that's your problem but just providing some experience.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Gosh it seems so many new owners who never read the manual.
1 To level Coach,
2. Dump air
3. Extend Jacks till coach is level.
4. Extend slides.
Do the reverse when leaving site/location otherwise you can pinch a slide in and it may never move again. The reverse is, put in the slides then store the jacks.

HWH Recommends you clean the shiny part of the jack with nice clean rag spray WD-40 on them and wipe off all the excess, if they are really dirty, do this several times. There seems to me was a recall on the springs on the jacks not being the correct size or something, but the coaches are all old now, so my guess is you will have to purchase them new from HWH.
Oh- The batteries need to be higher than 10.5 Volts (this is a very LOW VOLTAGE and damage can occur to the batteries if left in this state for long) for anything to work including the transfer switch (if equipped), if in park leave plugged in or start generator to get the batteries up. The main engine alternator will do it, but then you have to hold down the dump air button so the airbags don't fill and throw the level off with the slides out.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirney View Post
Had the jacks down and slides out the other day for some cleaning. Went to retract them and they seem to be stuck. The coach itself raised, but its almost as if the jacks themselves did not move. They are currently about 4 inches off the ground. Tried to put them back down and retract them but they do not move either way. The lights on the console blink, but the jacks do not move. Anyone have any ideas?
The one thing I have not seen suggested is to power down all systems. Turn off the house switch, turn off the main power switch in the battery compartment. Unplug shore power. Wait 5 minutes, turn everything back on.
You might have bad batteries, so I would, if you can, start the generator, wait 5 minutes and then hit store.
Good luck.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #26

I want to thank everyone for all of your help. Previous owner came over today and spent hour and a half troubleshooting, replaced chassis batteries and did a million other things. Call into HWH for tomorrow and we may just take it over there. They are only a few hundred miles from us.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 AM   #27

How are you going to drive it with jacks only 4" off the deck? Is there enough clearance to drive?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
How are you going to drive it with jacks only 4" off the deck? Is there enough clearance to drive?
I think they are manually moving them up if we have to drive it . We're going to see if they can troubleshoot issue before we take it over there.

So far nothing seems to work, and the previous owner is a master mechanic and owned the coach himself for 10 years until they upgraded last year. Luckily he is a friend of the family.

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks