Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

I had my fingers crossed since I started using ULSD but my luck ran out! I left the Newport rally and headed for Junction City. I stayed the first night at Guaranty RV to make final arrangements for my service appointments.

I started our coach the next morning and there it was, a puddle of diesel fuel under the lift pump. I had read many post on the possible problem associated with ULSD and our lift pump gaskets but I wouldn't happen to me!

I called Cummins in Coburg OR and found them books solid until Sept. They did offer to try and fit me in on Thursday. I got on the IRV2 forum and searched "lift pump". Chuckz post

This morning I checked the 3 mounting bolts on my lift pump and found they needed re-torque. My leak has stopped but I'm thinking l should replace the lift pump/manifold gasket when I get back home.

If your coach is old enough to have switched to ULSD I would check the lift pump mounting bolt torque.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #2

I had my fingers crossed since I started using ULSD but my luck ran out! I left the Newport rally and headed for Junction City. I stayed the first night at Guaranty RV to make final arrangements for my service appointments.

I started our coach the next morning and there it was, a puddle of diesel fuel under the lift pump. I had read many post on the possible problem associated with ULSD and our lift pump gaskets but I wouldn't happen to me!

I called Cummins in Coburg OR and found them books solid until Sept. They did offer to try and fit me in on Thursday. I got on the IRV2 forum and searched "lift pump". Chuckz post

This morning I checked the 3 mounting bolts on my lift pump and found they needed re-torque. My leak has stopped but I'm thinking l should replace the lift pump/manifold gasket when I get back home.

If your coach is old enough to have switched to ULSD I would check the lift pump mounting bolt torque.

Danny

Old 08-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #3

Danny that was a thread I intiated after I had my lift pump replaced twice with a reboot of the engine computer between the two replacements. This took place within aboout 6 months at about 60,000 and just before ULSD fuel became std.. I did not have a leak, but did have an engine maintenance light which coded out as the lift pump 3 different times. I have been ok for about the last 9 months and I talked to Mike Young at length about it at the last rally in Hilton Head and at that time he had not seen a lift pump problem. You might consider giving Mike a call or an email.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the advise Danny. I too have been holding my breath regarding the ULSD problem. I will check the torque on my pump before a leak develops.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Danny,

Here is the other topic on USLD. Our lift pump cost us about $450 w/ labor.

Jetar, was your second pump replaced free of charge? Any other problems?

ULSD fuel problems
Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #6

I talked to Mike Young today and I got the standard Cummins corporate response. I don't blame him as he is bound to his company's position. If he told everyone to check the torque on their lift pump bolts to head off leaks he would be in a world of trouble with his superiors.

I would recommend anyone who is timid around tools to leave the engines repairs to experts. That being said to re-torque lift pump bolts is not rocket science but it does requires a little experience.

I'm going to keep my appointment in Coburg OR, talk to the techs and see if I can get replacement gaskets for the lift pump.

Danny

Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #7

Tom and Patty. The first lift pump was replaced free under Cummins warranty as I had not timed out. The second fix computer reboot was also free. The second lift pump was after I timed out and Cummins charged me $100 due to the previous replacement. Sounded fair at the time even though I did talk to higher level Cummins folks who made that decision.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #8

Went to Cummins in Coburg OR and had no luck getting gaskets. The pump, they say is available as a complete assembly only!

Dealer cost is $197; over the counter is $240. I'll try a few contacts to see if I can get them for dealer cost. Until then I'll keep an eye on the mounting bolts.

Danny