Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
I never found a telescoping ladder I felt was tall enough to safely get on the roof, which is why I went with the heavier and space consuming Little Giant. The Joey Bed makes it easy to get to and put away now.

Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #16
Regarding the storage of the little giant (mine is similar but not the named brand). I have a 36 FDDS and it stores on edge in the second compartment and is against the rear end of the water tank. I put a rubber bumper on the tank bracket where it rests against. There are 2 hooks screwed into the ceiling of the storage where I attach a bungee. I don't have to move anything to get at it. I do have to be careful not to push it too far because it rests very close to the water line (stupidly placed and exposed). It is a little heavy but so am I and I feel secure on it!!

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
I carried a telescoping ladder in our 2002 coach, tried all of the others and liked the small size when collapsed. I found it great for getting onto the roof or cleaning the sides above the height I can reach.

Telesteps Ladder @ Amazon

We have a ladder on the new coach, so now I only carry a 7' folding ladder for cleaning, etc.

Dale Gerstel
2007 Limited SE 40fdts
Las Vegas, NV
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #18
I have the big Little Giant for home use and finally bout the wheels to roll it around and boy what a difference. It was so heavy (42 pound) I would avoid using it. Now I just roll it around to where I need it. It is a very safe ladder and one will out last me for sure.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #19
Originally posted by Route 66:
I have the Wal*Mart 17' version.

About $110-$120.

I'm completely satisfied with it.
I saw the same ladder for the same price at my local walmart last week. Strange thing, the packaging said "Costco" on the ladder.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #20
I have a 12' telescoping ladder that I bought app. two years ago for $ 100.00 from Home Depot. It is terrrific. More than long enough and collapses to app. 4'. Extremely sturdy product. I believe Camping World had the same ladder for about
$ 250.00. My company repairs ladders for the phone company, about 7-8,000 ladders a year. We have a little experience with a variety of ladders. The little Giant does a lot of things but it is extremely heavy especially if you do not have the Smart Beds. I don't.

Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
I use my little giant ladder for exercise, great weight lifting device, as well as functional around the house. I will get the light one once we can afford it, man all the little things you need to get to put this coach in traveling order. I am making velcro company rich I think.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #22
Alpine Owners Club
I purchased an Xtend& Climb from www.getladder.com and it works really well.

I bought the 15', but should have bought the 12.5'. It weighs less and still clears the top of the coach for a few feet of "hang-on" rungs.

It folds up very small and is good quality. I also have a Little Giant, but it weighs too much and takes up too much room. It couldn't possibly fit into my coach without a battle plan.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 AM   #23
Cosco makes a knock off of the Little Giant. Don't confuse it with the real Little Giant. It is not made as well. I believe the one at Wal-Mart is the Cosco one.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #24
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got my cosco brand ladder from Sam's Club abought 6 years ago for 99 dollars. I use it for every thing around the house and MH. It is a little heavy but it is the most stable ladder i have ever used and it is easy to store at home and in the MH.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #25
I have a Telestep. This is the same brand that Camping world sells, but mine is 14.5' tall it has a weight rating of 300#. Most telescoping ladders have a weight rating of 225 or 250. Be carefull of what you buy.Due to the weight rating. The One I have has 3" wide steps is easy to wrok with.

I use the ladder everyday as I am a Catastrophe Insurance Adjuster.

I purchased the Ladder on the Internet. Teh brand is Telestep
Trehcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
I have the same Telestep as Trehcub. An excellent ladder, but be very careful of your fingers when closing it up!! I also recommend buying some black rubber door-edge guard from a place like Pep Boys and putting a strip of it on inside of the top two or three steps so that they don't scratch the side of your coach when you lean it up against the side. It fits nice and tightly.
Rick Coleman
'05 Alpine 36MDDS
Rick Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #27
Alpine Owners Club
Just one more voice in the wilderness....

Like Ted III's last comment, I bought a similar ladder, collapses to about 4' and extends to about 12', from Lowes. At had an emergency at the time and had to get to the TV antenna on the roof.
It cost about $110 and has a 300# wt rating. Yes, it's a bit hefty, but I have the Slim-Sliders in my bays. They have one that is longer, should you want one, at a few bucks more, I'm sure.

For what it's worth.....

'03 38' FDTS, ISC 350
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i purchased a 7 ft double sided GPL step ladder from JC WHITNEY about a year ago for about $80. camping world has them also. my ladder folds to about 3.5" by 4.5" by 7 ft long. it attaches nicely to the roof ladder on my moho with 3 hose clamps. it weighs 25 lbs. it is a very sturdy ladder. the rungs are too narrow to stand on for very long without thick soled shoes.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote