Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #1

Livingroom slide question

My wife is very suspicious of any deviation from the norm, so this question came up about the livingroom slide (driver's side).

When the slide is all the way out, the top of the slide inside is up against the wall, but the bottom of the slide is about half an inch from the wall. I understand the slide is tilted a bit so the water on the top of the slide runs to the outside of the slide, but, does the slide need an adjustment, or is the gap at the bottom normal and/or okay?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

The bottom drops first allowing the top to fall flush with the wall. I would say 1/2 inch nothing to worry about as long as it is the same on both sides. If the slide is cocking to one side there could be an obstruction.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Seal on the frame should be against the wall top to bottom, even if slightly at some point.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
All - I should know this, but in all my searching, I have not run across any good document that explains how to adjust a slide. HWH has a whole bunch of information on its Hydraulic systems, and to be honest I have not reviewed it all. Does anyone know of a good explanation on how slides are to be adjusted?

EM's CD might contain some info. I am looking for it now, but think it's in my coach, which is in Phoenix, AZ.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I got this from Winnie for my HWH slides. Hope it helps.

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slideout Room Adjustment Guide.pdf (2.65 MB, 156 views)

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I got this from Winnie for my HWH slides. Hope it helps.

Rick
Incredible information Rick. I know more than I did now., but I also know now that I don't ever wanna mess with all that!

I'd have it so screwed up.....This is definitely something that I cannot ever mess with. Unfortunately, slide room stuff I'll have to chicken out and take to the dealer or CW.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
IIRC Stan's Custom's (Alpine Owner and sometime poster on this forum) knows how to adjust the slide if running it in and out a few times does not fix the problem, which, from the sound of it, it won't.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Incredible information Rick. I know more than I did now., but I also know now that I don't ever wanna mess with all that!

I'd have it so screwed up.....This is definitely something that I cannot ever mess with. Unfortunately, slide room stuff I'll have to chicken out and take to the dealer or CW.

Clear as mud, huh?

I think that's why it's tough to get a straight answer from dealers, shops, HWH, or the manufacturer. In part because the person on the phone might not know... in part because it's nearly impossible to describe via phone or email... and in part because there's a good chance the DIY'er is going to mess things up.

Search the forum and you'll find many cases where the Winnie factory (sorry, that's my reference point) has quoted four hours of labor per slide for adjustments. It usually doesn't turn out to take that long but they sure give themselves room for running into trouble.

I haven't tried it yet but plan to as soon as I get to a good site to safely do it. I replaced the carpet in my coach with vinyl planks and the new floor is between 1/8" and 1/4" higher than the original. When the slides are retracted, they put a good bit of pressure on the flooring as they ramp up and on to the floor. I want to raise the slides just a touch so the initial pressure isn't quite so harsh.

The "slide skids" should actually be changed to those designed for hard floors instead of carpet but a man has to know his limitations and that's another issue.

I spoke with the factory Winnie tech about this and he was surprisingly supportive and felt that this particular adjustment was sufficiently idiot proof that even I could give it a shot. I thought the docs he sent were actually the best I've found on this topic and I've been looking for quite a while.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are the most complete I've ever seen too, Rick. I know more about them than I ever did from that pdf.

Thanks!

Kent
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some links to Power Gear slideout adjustments in case the op has this system.
http://www.powergearus.com/tech-docs...word=Find+Docs

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yuck, the more I see about slide out systems, the more I don't wanna even think about having to fix something on them....
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - The higher end coachs have all gone to a radius slide, which has rounded corners. Although I don't know for sure, it seems to be a better way to do it, since all you need for wipe seals is big O-Rings. One day I am going to see if Marathon Coach will let me have a tour of the place to see how they install those and how they keep the inside dry, etc. I have not read the PDF yet, and the comments got me scared already.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #13

The o-ring seals are inflatable, like the o-ring seal on some Monaco & other coach front doors. Deflate, slide goes out, inflate. Deflate, slide comes in, inflate.
That's the system Newell, Prevost & others have used on slides that go straight out (no drop-down/flat-floor types that I know of).

Tags
slide